Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #7414
Traveling with a four legged family member.

Again not sure if this warrants a new thread, however.... We have been camping for a number of years but are mostly weekending it at the moment with the occasional week thrown in. To date traveling with our Lady, a four legged rescue girl, has not been a huge concern. When we got her she was able to walk for hours, be it on a hike, or sight seeing, she was only two years old after all. Now she is nearly eleven years old with some hip issues, like me. She tires easily and needs help getting into the RV. We purchased a ramp for her and this helps a lot, particularly my back. She is not small, weighing in at about seventy pounds.
As stated earlier, she is a member of our family and we want to include her in our activities but she often is unable. We are about to retire and do some extensive traveling and this includes sight seeing. This, of course, will require us being away from the RV several hours at a time. I hate to leave her at the camp ground but I am not sure how others deal with this issue. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I have included a pic of our girl.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8362
Traveling with a four legged family member.

This interests me also. I'm particularly interested in how anyone monitors temperature. If the A/C went out, I'd be devastated if I lost one of my mutts due to overheating.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
We travel with 2 small dogs and leave them in the MH. Our next trip we plan on buying a wifi security camera and leave it pointed at a digital thermometer so we can check on the temp. We haven't done this yet, but I figure that if when we check the app and don't see anything then that means the power went out.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
We put our 2 in a large crate. They sleep all day in the AC while we wear ourselves out in the Florida heat. Go figure. We usually try to get back to the RV about every 6 hrs. to let them out . They are loving the RV life. On a side note, try giving your dog gylcosimin tables. Walmart has them in the pet department. Worked wonders for my German shepherd. Takes about 2 or 3 weeks to work.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We travel with 3 medium sized dogs (two 9 year olds and a 7 month old puppy who needs to be crated when we are away for any length of time) and we got the automatic generator start feature on our Hurricane to make sure there will be A/C for them if we are dry camping or if there is a power failure. We also have a Samsung internet security camera that we use and check a digital thermometer on the kitchen counter to make sure they are comfortable when we check in on them online.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
We travel with 2 small dogs and leave them in the MH. Our next trip we plan on buying a wifi security camera and leave it pointed at a digital thermometer so we can check on the temp. We haven't done this yet, but I figure that if when we check the app and don't see anything then that means the power went out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
We put our 2 in a large crate. They sleep all day in the AC while we wear ourselves out in the Florida heat. Go figure. We usually try to get back to the RV about every 6 hrs. to let them out . They are loving the RV life. On a side note, try giving your dog gylcosimin tables. Walmart has them in the pet department. Worked wonders for my German shepherd. Takes about 2 or 3 weeks to work.
This is almost exactly what I was considering. I already monitor my house so I assumed I could do the same with the rv.

I'll crate my German Shepherd. She's already out of her chewing stage but just for the peace of mind... She's comfortable in the kennel. She stays in it a lot at home. It's her secure place from our rescue Jack Terrier beast.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemkoeslag View Post
Again not sure if this warrants a new thread, however.... We have been camping for a number of years but are mostly weekending it at the moment with the occasional week thrown in. To date traveling with our Lady, a four legged rescue girl, has not been a huge concern. When we got her she was able to walk for hours, be it on a hike, or sight seeing, she was only two years old after all. Now she is nearly eleven years old with some hip issues, like me. She tires easily and needs help getting into the RV. We purchased a ramp for her and this helps a lot, particularly my back. She is not small, weighing in at about seventy pounds.
As stated earlier, she is a member of our family and we want to include her in our activities but she often is unable. We are about to retire and do some extensive traveling and this includes sight seeing. This, of course, will require us being away from the RV several hours at a time. I hate to leave her at the camp ground but I am not sure how others deal with this issue. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I have included a pic of our girl.
If we are planning a trip we make several copies of vax records and check for vets that board in area well be visiting... so if its not feasable to include her, and we will exceed her bladder limits, we will board her. Shes a good dog and doesnt hold it against us.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

State: Utah
THOR #7797
There is a dog secret that owners don't know

While you are gone having a great time, the rest of us who are in the campground often have to put up with the sound of a dog yapping or barking during the time you are away having fun. This is a very common occurrence and I always feel bad for the dog as it is a very sad, but continuuuuuuuoooooous barking. I time tracked one dog at 5 hours of continuous barking from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. So, the solution is, take the dog with you anytime you are away from your RV. If you can't, then probably best to kennel the dog at home.

I love dogs, other people's dogs. I've owned many dogs, but they are a nuisance for non-dog folks in the campground from barking to pooping to sniffing a strangers groin. I wish I could say that all dog owners control and take good care of their four legged camping friends. But, they don't.

And your dog(s) will bark a lot during your absence. No matter how well trained you believe them to be.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Not helpful.

2009 Border Collie.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by hames57 View Post
While you are gone having a great time, the rest of us who are in the campground often have to put up with the sound of a dog yapping or barking during the time you are away having fun. This is a very common occurrence and I always feel bad for the dog as it is a very sad, but continuuuuuuuoooooous barking. I time tracked one dog at 5 hours of continuous barking from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. So, the solution is, take the dog with you anytime you are away from your RV. If you can't, then probably best to kennel the dog at home.

I love dogs, other people's dogs. I've owned many dogs, but they are a nuisance for non-dog folks in the campground from barking to pooping to sniffing a strangers groin. I wish I could say that all dog owners control and take good care of their four legged camping friends. But, they don't.

And your dog(s) will bark a lot during your absence. No matter how well trained you believe them to be.

And we could go on rants about drinking and partying, or children, or golf carts, or music, or fires, or etc, etc. The truth is they rent a spot just like you. You have to put up with your neighbors or leave. I have felt your pain at times about many neighbors I have had, but they are your neighbors. So to try an be neighborly is the only sensible thing to do. There are no easy solutions to any annoyance except to remove yourself from it.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 AM   #11

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
And we could go on rants about drinking and partying, or children, or golf carts, or music, or fires, or etc, etc. The truth is they rent a spot just like you. You have to put up with your neighbors or leave. I have felt your pain at times about many neighbors I have had, but they are your neighbors. So to try an be neighborly is the only sensible thing to do. There are no easy solutions to any annoyance except to remove yourself from it.

Agreed

Ken
Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
To the OP I wish there was an easy solution. Our girl is 15 and gratefully only 18 lbs. she is a bit senile and has lost the ability to help herself in and out of the camper. We often slip out for a trip while she is napping (which she does frequently) and when she wakes up she is confused and I am sure barks looking for us. I try not to make my trips away too long but to suggest I place her in a kennel when I have such a short time with her already just does not sit well with me. I am apologetic to anyone who is disturbed by her barking BUT I WILL NOT ABANDON HER for days at a time. She depends on my wife an I for comfort and support and has provided us with more than enough love and loyalty to have earned that support. The are no easy answers but they are worth the effort IMHO.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:

I am apologetic to anyone who is disturbed by her barking BUT I WILL NOT ABANDON HER for days at a time. She depends on my wife an I for comfort and support and has provided us with more than enough love and loyalty to have earned that support. The are no easy answers but they are worth the effort IMHO.

I agree.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #14

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
We travel with 2 small dogs, 1 is 15 yo and is hard of hearing and sleeps most of the day, the other we put a bed on the dash so he can get up there and watch everything that is going on. He barks some when other dogs get to close, but then he stops when they leave. It keeps him entertained knowing he's guarding the MH.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Our Samsung camera has audio as well as video monitoring. We have yet to check in on our pups and find them barking. I am sure if someone approaches too close, they will bark. I have had a campground manager tell me they were barking while his crew was doing grounds keeping near our RV. That should be expected, and not abnormal.

I have to agree with those who mentioned all of the human noisemakers who routinely party loudly, violate curfew, watch TV outside, etc. It is just a part of the deal. If you expect absolute peace and quiet, a campground isn't for you.

This is from a couple of early bedtime folks. There are fewer annoyances more disturbing than being awakened at 1 in the morning by some drunken idiots hooting and hollering in a campground. I am sure they hate when the dogs want to be walked at first light and off we go. Can't we all just get along?

To the OP, yes there are options for you. You may want to test and see how she handles your separation while in the RV by just going outside out of sight and see what happens. If need be, she can be trained to become accustomed to it. There are also remote monitoring options that you can check out, several of which are mentioned in this thread. Good luck!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Some good discussions here, and I'm picking up useful info.

One option we are going to try is a bark collar. Our Puggle barks at anything (sometimes, nothing!) so we bought a bark collar. Going to test drive it.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We were camping with a relative who were using their RV for the first time. When we went out to eat they left a mobile device in the RV skyped with their son to watch over the dogs (and then during dinner they would skype with their son to check on the dogs LOL).

There are many solutions for this...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #18

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
To the OP
I was looking at this option for our great pyrneese who was having hip problems.
Help 'Em Up™ Dog Harness | Hip Dysplasia | Dog Carrier

Unfortunately he stared battling cancer and lost before we could try it.

Patrick
Old 08-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
To the OP I wish there was an easy solution. Our girl is 15 and gratefully only 18 lbs. she is a bit senile and has lost the ability to help herself in and out of the camper. We often slip out for a trip while she is napping (which she does frequently) and when she wakes up she is confused and I am sure barks looking for us. I try not to make my trips away too long but to suggest I place her in a kennel when I have such a short time with her already just does not sit well with me. I am apologetic to anyone who is disturbed by her barking BUT I WILL NOT ABANDON HER for days at a time. She depends on my wife an I for comfort and support and has provided us with more than enough love and loyalty to have earned that support. The are no easy answers but they are worth the effort IMHO.
The pups are the main reason we bought the RV.. We don't want to leave them behind.

And they are still quieter than a lot of kids we encounter.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #20

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We always take our little dog with us, one reason we travel in an RV, so we don't have to leave her behind. I use a Temp Stick to monitor the interior temperature of the motorhome while we are away. If the temp goes beyond a pre-set level, it will text me, and I can monitor any time.