Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
Turn signal stalk

I Have a 2106 Challenger KT and am having multiple issues I believe to be tied into the turn signal stalk.
when I turn on the ignition switch if the the high beam indicator is lit (this is without using the high beams) several functions fail to work , such as my LED outside lights on around the headlights, my day time driving lights, my turn signal cameras, and i believe my front turn signals. during a trip, the high beam indicator will shut off on its own and everything functions properly, is this a problem for RV dealership or Ford or has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks

Old 08-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtube View Post
I Have a 2106 Challenger KT and am having multiple issues I believe to be tied into the turn signal stalk.
when I turn on the ignition switch if the the high beam indicator is lit (this is without using the high beams) several functions fail to work , such as my LED outside lights on around the headlights, my day time driving lights, my turn signal cameras, and i believe my front turn signals. during a trip, the high beam indicator will shut off on its own and everything functions properly, is this a problem for RV dealership or Ford or has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks
I just experienced the same issue on my challenger 37LX during my trip out west. I have yet to figure it out but called Thor and all of my issues should be on different circuits. My high beam indicator comes on when I turn on the ignition and my rear camera comes on the stereo and I have no lights at all up front. It sporadically goes on and off and the front lights come on and go off. Thor thought it might be a relay because it does buzz. I say it's short someplace and bumping down the road sorta fixes it (which is why I say short). I changed out the relays today and nothing changed. Thor thinks it may be a ford issue which would be covered under the 3 year 36k mile warranty but suggested I take it to my dealer first because if it turns out to be a thor wiring harness issue, then I pay ford for their time. So I made an appt with the dealer and after they look at it and determine the problem, they will either get it fixed or send it to ford. Only problem is my appt isn't until Sept and that's the earliest they have.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
This is probably an issue that was caused by Thor during the build. I had something similar happen to a Jayco class C and it turned out to be a screw installed by Jayco that pierced a chassis wire. Ford does a better job at building and assembling their chassis' than the RV manufacturers do at building the RV's. Luckily I was able to get the selling dealer (in Kansas) to pay for the fix at a Jayco dealer in PA as I purchased the unit barely used.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Many times I have found that if anything "wierd" like that happens on an auto electrical system it usually winds up being a loose ground connection somewhere.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
Please keep me updated as I will be back in Tucson in early October and want to get the issues resolved
Old 12-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
We have the exact same problem in our 2017 37LX .

I noticed when I apply the parking brake that everything seems to work normally, LED running lights come back on, High beam indicator goes back out, turn signal cameras work again. Thinking either a loose ground, or hot wire(s) pinched somewhere.

Did anyone ever find out what the problem is ?? Thanks.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7607
Applying the brake may provide a ground path between the engine and frame.
I once had a car that the engine was just replaced. The the engine temp gauge would show a rising high temp until I pressed the clutch. As long as the clutch was pressed (which stretched a spring between the engine and the frame) the gauge would indictate correct temp. The mechanic found that they had not reconnected the ground strap that ran from the frame to the engine block.
In other cases I have found that any peculiar "cause and effect" electrical problems to be grounding problems.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Applying the brake may provide a ground path between the engine and frame.
I once had a car that the engine was just replaced. The the engine temp gauge would show a rising high temp until I pressed the clutch. As long as the clutch was pressed (which stretched a spring between the engine and the frame) the gauge would indictate correct temp. The mechanic found that they had not reconnected the ground strap that ran from the frame to the engine block.
In other cases I have found that any peculiar "cause and effect" electrical problems to be grounding problems.
I figured as much. Was hoping someone found out the cause before I go on a hunting trip looking for loose, pinched or pierced wiring.

<'))))>(
Old 08-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #9

THOR #16339
Did anyone figure out the problem? We are having the same issue
Old 08-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilkerlin View Post
Did anyone figure out the problem? We are having the same issue
Had a loose ground wire on the wiring harness in front of the engine on driver's side. Ground wire is attached to the bracket that holds on the front fiberglass cap. Tightened ground, all good.

<'))))>(