Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3436
Twin Beds

Why aren't there more motorhomes and pull-behinds that have 2 twin beds, instead of 1 queen bed?

Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My long 2 cents....

We attended the Houston RV Show yesterday and only saw twin beds on the smallest Class A, a Vegas 24.1, and in numerous Class Bs. I'd have to think that since twins appear more space-efficient, that they are more likely to be used when space for larger beds isn't as practical or available.

I recall in the distant past seeing more twins at RV shows, but as RVs got larger and larger, and also roomier with addition of slides, twins have become almost extinct -- except in trailers that have bunk bedrooms for the kids.

I also think that since most couples have queen or king beds at home that they probably prefer that size bed when available to make the RV as "residential" as possible. We have a king at home but would prefer the twin beds like in 24.1 in an RV. But we don't want a motorhome to feel like our house -- we're probably unusual in that sense. We started out in a tent with separate sleeping bags so separate beds creates a little more of a "roughing it" atmosphere without actually roughing it.

By the way, at the RV show we saw a trailer that had a storage compartment under a standard-size twin bed that caught my eye. In Europe many motorhomes have twin beds (due to smaller size?) and normally elevate them to create a huge mega-storage compartment below. This trailer used the "entire" size of the bed (39 X 74) plus a full-length door to create a compartment large enough for a tandem bike laying on its side. I would still prefer a Euro style mini garage under twin beds, but this arrangement (typical on many rear corner bed motorhomes) made it much more useable by lengthening the door to nearly the length of the bed. I think details can make a big difference to buyers. Granted, in motorhomes like an Axis/Vegas 24.1 there is usually stuff under twin beds that would preclude this much storage for large items like a tandem bike anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1407  
Old 02-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcshr5@yahoo.com View Post
Why aren't there more motorhomes and pull-behinds that have 2 twin beds, instead of 1 queen bed?
Because over time people have gotten fatter and no longer fit in a twin bed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Bedside that the pups need the room,
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcshr5@yahoo.com View Post
It's a simple case of supply and demand. While most at home prefer a queen or king, some folks prefer twin beds, and even separate bedrooms. I once met a couple, married for years, who had separate homes an hour apart! I have heard of couples that take separate vacations. People have their reasons, different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
It's a simple case of supply and demand. While most at home prefer a queen or king, some folks prefer twin beds, and even separate bedrooms. I once met a couple, married for years, who had separate homes an hour apart! I have heard of couples that take separate vacations. People have their reasons, different strokes for different folks.
Agree 100% -- different strokes. I was told recently by a realtor that many new homes are being built with his and hers master bedrooms. Could be for older parents, or because one spouse snores, etc. It shouldn't matter why people want stuff the way they do.

What's aggravating is when manufacturers look at a bell curve of "wants" or "must haves" and then ignore the minority that want something other than the "average" of the bell curve. It often seems they are being narrow minded and designing 100% of products to averages.

Maybe it's fear of failure because there is so much funding involved that creates risk. So they play it safe. Too safe in my opinion. There should be more diversity of design based on lower volume knowing it's not for everyone. It works for other products so why not motorhomes?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We love the twin beds in out Vegas 24.1.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #8

Model: Dodge E100
State: California
THOR #12102
Some sage advise I was given was to lay down in the beds with your partner and see what 'fits' and is the most comfortable. DH and I opted for the twin beds. In no particular order:

1. The Lucy/Ricky Ricardo Laura/Rob Petrie configuration is just fine for camping. This does leave options open for girl only/boy only trips. Additionally can use as another sitting and talking area as you face one another.

2. We got an extra outside storage compartment!

3. I can actually stand up and put my pants on IN the bedroom area. The little walkway (and I use the term loosly) around a front queen would make for a stork-like experience if dressing in the boudoir.

4. Access to the front overhead storage compartment is great.

5. Makes the camper seem longer as you walk ALL the way from one end to the other.

We have a Queen at home and a Queen in the Safari like these types of beds https://10restbest.com/best-storage-beds And the King still likes the Queen. I don't plan on anyone but the Queen and me to stay/camp/sleep in our trailer. With the Queen, we only have to make one bed and only need one set of sheets. The Twin has better access to the storage. The twin has a nice isle down the middle of the beds and so does my Queen have a nice isle down the middle of my remodeled living room. My Gaucho could sleep one or two persons, but I don't think it ever will. If the King and Queen choose to have the twins, that's great, but I wouldn't make that decision for a buddy.

Name:	My Picture CD 419 (Large).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	14060

Name:	My Picture CD 444 (Large).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	14061
Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
...Because if my Missus ever got "A taste of freedom": I might end up sleeping in the guest bedroom permanently!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

THOR #2121
If Thor imports Hymer Class As and Cs to US, there should be more Twin-bed options since the majority of Hymer floorplans have twin beds in back.

As mentioned previously, I think they do it to save space because most of their motorhomes are small by our standards.