Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Water fill up and dumping when boondocking

When you are boondocking and your fresh water tank is empty, where do you go to fill it up? For dumping your tanks, do you just find a campground near by and pay?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
yeah, campgrounds, Cabela's (outdoor/fishing store) has a dump for like $5 or 7 ?, Some trucks stops will advertize RV or sewer dumps (like $10 ?), Camping World (Free for members).

My RV storage has Free Dumps.... so I just dump before I put the RV back If I know I can make it Okay.

I think I came across a City Park/Campground that had Free or cheap dumps. Look on line in the area that your in.... you might be supruzed at what you find.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

THOR #14952
Should we never trust the water we get, besides at home for drinking, brushing teeth,? Only buy water for those things? I bought a filter, but I don't think it gets everything...
Old 08-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
Should we never trust the water we get, besides at home for drinking, brushing teeth,? Only buy water for those things? I bought a filter, but I don't think it gets everything...
Campgrounds that supply water have to comply with the water quality requirements in that state since most of them are on municipal water sources.

I have a couple of zero water pitchers.

https://www.zerowater.com/

I have one in the inside fridge and I have a large one (30 cup) that is used for coffee. I have a second smaller one for the outside fridge provided the beer supply is not taking too much outdoor fridge space.

I also have a throw away filter at the water source and a whole house filter on the coach.

Overkill, maybe then again, maybe not.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah, dont use the water at the dumps.

Just past the dumps (or before?) will will see a sign that says "Potable Water". Use that only.

If you dont see that sign I would wait until you get to a campground with a water hookup or home (or friends / family homes).

You can purchase a couple of gallons of drinking water (cheap at walmart) for cooking and washing hands/teeth ETC. to get you by for a day or two.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
and I doubt there's actually any difference in 'potable' versus 'non-potable' water, since they both use the same water source, either the city, county, regional water system, or their own well....

with rare exception, and only if the dump station's water source is from a totally different system, such as a 'recycling/filtration' pump, or tank, the only 'difference' is actually that the 'non-potable' water outlet( the end of the hose itself ) can be susceptible to having potential contact with a sewer hose, or the dump area, where it could pick up a contaminant and thereby possibly transfer that into your water tank when you were to fill it... otherwise, it's the same 'water', whether it's cleaning out your hose, or filling your tank.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
When you are boondocking and your fresh water tank is empty, where do you go to fill it up? For dumping your tanks, do you just find a campground near by and pay?
There’s an app for that - RV Dumps. Gives you lots of info on nearby dump stations, pay to play and free. Gas stations will often let you fill up your water tank for free if you are going to put $100 + of their gas in your tank. If they have a dump station, they often will not charge you if you purchase gas. I always ask before I buy. Very seldom does anyone say no - if you ask before purchase. If they do and you need water, move on to the next gas station.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
and I doubt there's actually any difference in 'potable' versus 'non-potable' water, since they both use the same water source, either the city, county, regional water system, or their own well....

with rare exception, and only if the dump station's water source is from a totally different system, such as a 'recycling/filtration' pump, or tank, the only 'difference' is actually that the 'non-potable' water outlet( the end of the hose itself ) can be susceptible to having potential contact with a sewer hose, or the dump area, where it could pick up a contaminant and thereby possibly transfer that into your water tank when you were to fill it... otherwise, it's the same 'water', whether it's cleaning out your hose, or filling your tank.
In state and national facilities, the water has to be routinely tested to ensure that it is potable. The reason that the wash down pump water at the dump stations are “not potable” is because the pipes are right below where people dump all over the ground and it can work its way into the pipes. While it may be potable, the water is not routinely tested because it can quickly become contaminated. It may be the same water, but contamination of the pipes is the issue.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #9

THOR #14952
[emoji13] ugh, contaminated pipes. Lots of suggestions, thank you all![emoji16]
Old 08-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I like this one...

RV Dump Station Maps

There’s a U.S. Map and then you can drill down to your desired area.
It also indicates price

https://www.rvdumps.com/map-of-rv-dump-stations/

Also, not sure if discussed...
Pilot Truck Stops using your Camping World Card
Old 08-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #11

THOR #14952
That US dump map is really cool! Who ever thought I could get excited over dumping haha
Old 08-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
A lot of interstate rest stops have dump stations.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
I always fill the tank using a screw-on filter. A good friend had a helluva time getting sand out of his tank. Didn't do the pump any good either. I also use bottled water for drinking and cooking.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For freshwater chores: I screw a HydraLife filter onto the spigot, and I have another one in the RV's filtration system...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #15

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
A lot of interstate rest stops have dump stations.
yup some rest areas, Kansas has a lot of dump stations at there I70 rest areas
Old 08-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #16

THOR #14952
I think I will pick up a second filter, I had bought one to hook at the spigot. Will get another at the other end of hose at the RV connection.

Sand huh? Bet that made some food taste interesting.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
I always treat every spigot at a campground as if the previous person used it to flush their black tank or slinky.
I never use a hose that already there. I always flush the spigot and then clean it before connecting my fresh water hose, flush again, then connect a large carbon filter, and so on before connecting to my City, or tank fill.
All of this goes through the factory whole house filter.
I also drain the tank and system when we get home and refill so we start out full each trip and have an emergency supply (refresh every 2-3 months if we're not using the RV)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I agree: Lysol is your friend!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #19
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
We ALWAYS have a case of water in the motorhome when traveling..and a couple one gallon jugs or more of tap water from home for making coffee, and for the cat. We have a filter...but, we always use a bottle of water for brushing teeth, etc.

Happy Camping !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Has anyone ever gotten sick from water in a campground?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote