Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Indiana
THOR #2158
Unusal Situation

I have a 2004 Hurricane and lately when I hook up to an electric outlet my microwave stop working if I have the frig on electric also. Any suggestions? if leave the frig on gas everything works well.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Perhaps the Micro and Refridge are on a GFCI circuit? Look around the kitchen or bathroom area for an outlet that has 2 tiny buttons in the middle, see if it is popped?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane 2003 View Post
I have a 2004 Hurricane and lately when I hook up to an electric outlet my microwave stop working if I have the frig on electric also. Any suggestions? if leave the frig on gas everything works well.
Sounds like the micro and fridge are on the same breaker and if both are running it may be overloading that particular breaker. In my class C the same thing would happen if I plugged the coffee pot into one particular outlet and then turned on the microwave.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:09 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane
State: Indiana
THOR #2158
Increase tension on slide out

I replaced the fabric on my living room slide out and i can't enough tension to smooth out the fabric.

any suggestions on how to adjust the tension?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Suspect a bad breaker

Hello,
As a power systems electrical engineer, I sometimes run across breakers that trip at current levels that are much lower then their labeled rating. I would do the two following tasks to assure that the electrical distribution system was working properly.
1. check the AC system voltage at the appliance. The voltage should not be less then 120v.
a. Check your generator output at the generator. If the voltage there is higher then what is measured at the appliance outlets then consider checking terminal tightness of all wiring connections located within your 120v breaker/fuse panel.
b. If plugged into a "hotel" service then check the voltage at the "hotel" outlet and assure that the voltage is not low. If it is low, then there may be several problems that need to be investigated and you'll need assistance from a good electrician.
2. If all the connections are tight, then try turning the breaker for ther appliance circuit off, then on several times (10 or more). then is the only maintenance that can be performed with a breaker. If you still have problems then plan on having the breaker replaced.

3. It is important to keep in mind that low AC voltage will result in higher ampere loads. Sometime when an electrical circuit is feeding a large load, the lower voltage will cause the load amperes to increase beyond the breaker rating resulting in a trip.
4. You should have a voltmeter that can read both AC and DC power, and check continuity. There are times when nothing else will do.

Hope this helps....
PEHetzer
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
I replaced the fabric on my living room slide out and i can't enough tension to smooth out the fabric.

any suggestions on how to adjust the tension?

Trim the new fabric.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Is your motorhome connected to 50Amp, 30Amp, or a household 20Amp shorepower? Or are you running the generator when this occurs?

When I use my handy dandy 20Amp to 50Amp adapter pigtale, everything works, one at a time.

When I use my handy dandy 30Amp to 50Amp adapter pigtale, everything works, but sometimes something stops working. Just like your description.

When I'm connected to 50Amp shorepower, or running the genny, everything works all at the same time, (if desired).
Old 07-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Circuit sizes.

Keep in mind that a 20 ampere shore power panel utilizes smaller conductors which can result in a higher voltage drop then what would be experienced with a 50 ampere service panel. At best a 20 ampere circuit should not see more then 15 amperes of load, while a 30 ampere circuit should see no more then 24 amperes. A 50 ampere circuit should have no problems with a 40 ampere load. These loads are engineered to prevent severe voltage drops.
Also, the distance between the "hotel" service outlet and the main service panel can have an effect too. My RV required a 30 ampere service panel, which I fed using a AWG#6 sized cable. The 30 ampere outlet is located aproximately 150 feet from my service panel, so I slightly oversized the conductors. As a result, I can run everything from my "hotel" service without problems along with an air compressor to checl tire pressure.
As any circuit load increases, the circuits voltage will drop resulting in increased amperes. As more load is added voltage critical components may stop working or the increased load may trip a circuit breaker. Eliminating the voltage drop is key!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

State: Tennessee
THOR #3154
My GFCI receptacle (in half bath) in my Thor 2015 Miramar 34.1 keeps tripping any suggestion on what I should check? There are a total of 4 receptacles on this circuit & sometimes it trips if I just have a night lite turned on. I'm getting ~121.4 to 122 amps at each receptacle.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
It could be a bad GFI. check under the slides, and see it there is a electrical junction box there pull the cover and see if there is water there some are not sealed properly
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #11

THOR #3154
I replaced the GFI a couple of weeks ago - but I guess it might be bad? The one that was installed originally keep tripping but I had my coach plugged in to 20 amp service only so I'm not sure it was bad either. Now I have it plugged into a 50 amp service which is standard for my coach.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #12

THOR #3154
I will check under the slides tomorrow of a junction box. Thanks
Old 12-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #13

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbglassman View Post
My GFCI receptacle (in half bath) in my Thor 2015 Miramar 34.1 keeps tripping any suggestion on what I should check? There are a total of 4 receptacles on this circuit & sometimes it trips if I just have a night lite turned on. I'm getting ~121.4 to 122 amps at each receptacle.
I really hope you are not getting anything close to 121 amps I'm sure you mean volts