Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 893
Update: CAUTION!!: Double Check Trailer Hitch

For the specifics you can check my original thread found here: CAUTION!!: Double Check Trailer Hitch. With this thread, I simply wanted to give an update to the significant problem I encountered in May AND to give credit where credit is due.

We were very fortunate that the frame problem didn't cost us and others more dearly. Morryde (the frame extension provider for Thor) supported us in repairing our issue and a quick turn around on the reimbursement. Rob Kolean (Service Manager, MORyde Intl) was understanding and helpful. I am sure that Rob was the advocate for getting the bill paid so quickly.

The repair technician found that towing my vehicle could not have caused the problem. And was equally sure that the frame tear had been caused by a very significant downward force.

So - check your frame where the hitch attaches to make sure that there isn't a tear. This seems to be a one-off issue.
__________________

__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
....cut....

The repair technician found that towing my vehicle could not have caused the problem. And was equally sure that the frame tear had been caused by a very significant downward force.

....cut.....
If not towing your toad, what else have you towed that would explain the failure? Most things don't break by themselves.
__________________

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
If not towing your toad, what else have you towed that would explain the failure? Most things don't break by themselves.
It could have also been something either the dealer did; or in transit from the plant to the dealer.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It could have also been something either the dealer did; or in transit from the plant to the dealer.
Jamie, anything is possible I guess, but that's highly unlikely. If failure had started prior to purchase, it's not probable that it would have taken 18,000 miles of driving to come to a head.

I agree the tear started and grew from a significant downward force at very back of frame extension, but that doesn't mean you have to put a heavy tongue weight on hitch.

You don't need a downward force to create a localized downward force at point of failure.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 893
Folks, nothing has changed relative to the how this happened from the original thread. The repair technician was very clear, towing my vehicle did not cause the tear. I have been the only driver/operator of our coach since the day we took ownership. So whatever force caused this did not happen on my watch. How or who caused this before my ownership I cannot possibly know.

My point all along has been to keep our community aware of a problem and suggest that it is worth a visual inspection. If nothing is found during your inspection, the likelihood of this happening is virtually slim to none.

Also, wanted to let the community know that Morryde absolutely stood up and was counted on this fix.
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
Member
 
rving2015's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37tb
State: California
Posts: 49
Thanks BigBen for all you provided...
__________________
Raymond and Anna
rving2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 893
Raymond - felt it was a responsibility to pay back to my fellow Thor-ites after all this forum has helped us with.

Give your hitch an inspection to check for tears. After that I'd suggest a periodic inspection but IMO this was a one off situation. Just don't want anyone else to be endangered.
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Raymond - felt it was a responsibility to pay back to my fellow Thor-ites after all this forum has helped us with.

Give your hitch an inspection to check for tears. After that I'd suggest a periodic inspection but IMO this was a one off situation. Just don't want anyone else to be endangered.
BigBen...thankyou for your original post and subsequent posts regarding your problem. Since we , pull a trailer or use the hitch mount motorcycle rack, Ron checks our undercarriage, etc. before, during and after a trip.
Failure happens. All the forum members who have more education in this field than we, are great contributors and we gather all the info provided, to try to keep our rv safe and operable.
Your incident has, certainly, brought to our attention a potential problem which a person would never expect !
You know, there are thousands of rv owners out there who do not participate in forums (or know they exist) that may be experiencing similar problems but we never hear about them.

Happy Camping ! and hoping you have safe travels !
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
with hitch mounted motorcycle rack
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
For the specifics you can check my original thread found here: CAUTION!!: Double Check Trailer Hitch. With this thread, I simply wanted to give an update to the significant problem I encountered in May AND to give credit where credit is due.

We were very fortunate that the frame problem didn't cost us and others more dearly. Morryde (the frame extension provider for Thor) supported us in repairing our issue and a quick turn around on the reimbursement. Rob Kolean (Service Manager, MORyde Intl) was understanding and helpful. I am sure that Rob was the advocate for getting the bill paid so quickly.

The repair technician found that towing my vehicle could not have caused the problem. And was equally sure that the frame tear had been caused by a very significant downward force.

So - check your frame where the hitch attaches to make sure that there isn't a tear. This seems to be a one-off issue.
Glad everything worked out. Bottom line is thank goodness nothing bad happened because you would have owned the company. Morryde was so liable that they probably couldn't repair your hitch fast enough.
penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 893
Ron and Kay - spot on. The shares on the various RV forums contribute to a collective intelligence that is incredible. Most of us go into RV ownership fairly ignorant of the all the ins and outs. I have found how to deal with issues, improve usefulness and who to contact when in doubt. Thus the reason for sharing my issue. What could have been catastrophic, wound an inconvenience - thankfully. For all my fellow vagabonds, be safe and enjoy the journey!
__________________

__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



ThorForums.com is not in any way associated with Thor Industries or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2