Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #21

State: Colorado
THOR #10150
I did yes. I assume you are aware of costing of shipping import duty vat etc and have an understanding of the iva test procedure.
Savings to make , yes. But don't go into the procedure blind

Old 10-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I shared with you what worked for us, which is different from your needs and requirements. Sounds like you know what you want. Write the check and enjoy!!?
Long time ago... I brought a US made four door Chevy Nova to Spain. It was too long & really hard to drive in the downtown sections, parking was hard too and getting parts? LMAO. The metrics issue for parts tools, distance, quantities were laughable. Better you get something that fits over there if you can cause paralell parking was a big issue. One good thing was they didn't try to jimmie the doors to steal anything. Maybe it's changed?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Long time ago... I brought a US made four door Chevy Nova to Spain. It was too long & really hard to drive in the downtown sections, parking was hard too and getting parts? LMAO. The metrics issue for parts tools, distance, quantities were laughable. Better you get something that fits over there if you can cause paralell parking was a big issue. One good thing was they didn't try to jimmie the doors to steal anything. Maybe it's changed?
One time I was visiting Germany and in one of the many small towns at a BnB was a long bed Chevy crew cab dually truck. Took up nearly the entire parking lot ! LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #24

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
One time I was visiting Germany and in one of the many small towns at a BnB was a long bed Chevy crew cab dually truck. Took up nearly the entire parking lot ! LOL.
Yeah, while living there I got a lot more practice in the 'art' of paralell parking. And when, where & how. The slots from car to car were way too small to park the Chevy Nova. And in places they park on both sides of the street, when you see one of thier moving vans coming at you, which is trying not to hit the parked cars, you tend to stop in order to let them get through. Oh yeah, those little Mopeds, passing on either side and going on a one way street the wrong way and people crossing thru the parked cars that are, shall we say inebriated. I learned how to drive lots better and more precise there. Oh yeah, I gave up and bought one of thier cars to make life easier. Easier to figure out the KPH, liters and distances then.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #13283
Thanks for bringing the Freedom Traveler to my attention, haven't seen this on Thor's website, is it new for 2018 and is it like the other fella said, an exclusive to Camping World.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #26

State: England
THOR #13283
Went to see Signature RV today and had a good chat with a guy there and got an angle on what costs will be.
I spend time over there, we distribute a couple of US brands here in the UK/EU, shipping is part of the territory with the job, that being said, shipping an RV is new to me but I'll get my head round it. Any tips or info will be appreciated
Old 10-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Yes, it's kinda prototype to test the market. I was very impressed and as I said would have bought it if it had a king bed....ohh well
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #28

THOR #10150
Goto rvoc.co.uk
Search importing an rv there. Lots usefully info...
Shipping via roro
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #29

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Went to see Signature RV today and had a good chat with a guy there and got an angle on what costs will be.
I spend time over there, we distribute a couple of US brands here in the UK/EU, shipping is part of the territory with the job, that being said, shipping an RV is new to me but I'll get my head round it. Any tips or info will be appreciated
Another thing didn't think about. Think the only METRIC part on the American Thor that I found so far was the cable connector to the battery post (10mm). Don't know but everything else on the RV was SAE. I like my vehicles to be one or the other, not mixed.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #8527
Quote:
Hi,
In the market to bring over a Thor motor home to the UK, I'm leaning towards the Vegas or Axis over an ACE because of smaller width, but whats the difference between the Vegas and Axis, on paper they look the same. Do these motor homes come with stabilizing jacks as standard?
The Vegas and Axis did not up to 2018, not sure about the ACE. I think you are smart to look for a stabilizing jack for touring Europe. Have you thought of buying a European Motorhome? They are so good with quality, arrangement and making everyinch count. In my opinion, superior to American RV's. I do like your choice in American RV's. I always like the floor plan with the nice closet and vanity in the back. I believe it was the 24.3 model.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: California
THOR #7113
Quote:
Hi,
In the market to bring over a Thor motor home to the UK, I'm leaning towards the Vegas or Axis over an ACE because of smaller width, but whats the difference between the Vegas and Axis, on paper they look the same. Do these motor homes come with stabilizing jacks as standard?
the difference is the in layout of the dining area, restroom/shower area and the rear compartment areas. Take a look at a brochure that shows both models. Otherwise they are the same RV. I'm not sure about the 2018 models, but the older models do not have stabilizers or levelers. I have a 2015 Vegas 25.1 and it rode extremely bad on rough roads so I added an HD steering stabilizer, an HD Anti sway bar, and rear air bags. Now a totally different and better ride. I also added Bigfoot levelers (STAY AWAY FROM BULLSEYE- THAT COMPANY OWNER/PRESIDENT WILL RIP YOU OFF AS HE HAS DONE OTHERS).
Old 10-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Hi Robuk, I've had an Axis 24.1 and now a Vegas 25.2 and prior to that had a 26ft National and a 32ft Gulfstream, all of them in the UK. You're wise to consider the smaller RV's I'm having the most fun with our latest, the Vegas 25.2 with the side out at the back. The width and height on UK roads is a godsend, and means you arrive with less stress and park in more remote places if you wish. All my RV's have been on lpg making them easier to run, you get the convenience of a 'Eurobox' and the power, facilities and wow factor of a real RV. I prrfer the slide at the back of my Vegas as it makes it even narrower and, when extended, it's 30ft long. You're welcome to pm me to chat if you like.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #33

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #11875
I didn't realize the Axis and Ace were different widths. We liked the Axis Euro cabinets, BUT one thing the dealers will NEVER tell you, the Axis, and I assume the Vegas, the main battery is nearly inaccessable and very difficult to get to, should you need a jump and the coach batteries are dead also.

We went with the ACE simply because of that. GThe battery is right up front. The Axis has to be accessed down through the computer table on the passenger side. At least the 2018 and earlier did.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #34

THOR #9936
I didn't find the battery to be too much hassle to be honest, yes, it could be easier, but, hey, some cars need the front fender off to replace a headlight bulb !
With regard to leveling an Axis/Vegas, I've added wind down scissor jacks to my Vegas and they work well, I can get about 6 inches of lift each side and they make it pretty rock solid. They're never going to be as good as hydraulic jacks (boy, do I miss them..) but they certainly improve the Vegas when parked up. It's a good thing to give the front coils a rest when parked for winter also.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #35

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Think about a Synergy

If you're limited on length and width you might consider a Thor Synergy. Built on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis it drives way better than any other Thor product. A few different floor plans are available. The 24tt floor plan has twin beds that convert to a king in the back. Rear electric stabilizer jacks are available as an option, I have them but rarely need to use them. It's overall under 27', Narrower than both the ACE, Vegas types and you can park it almost anywhere. Beautiful inside and out. If you don't need to sprawl out inside it's great. This is a diesel unit with tons of torque for towing your dear mother-in-law around by her neck.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #36

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I didn't find the battery to be too much hassle to be honest, yes, it could be easier, but, hey, some cars need the front fender off to replace a headlight bulb !
With regard to leveling an Axis/Vegas, I've added wind down scissor jacks to my Vegas and they work well, I can get about 6 inches of lift each side and they make it pretty rock solid. They're never going to be as good as hydraulic jacks (boy, do I miss them..) but they certainly improve the Vegas when parked up. It's a good thing to give the front coils a rest when parked for winter also.
Wind down... buy another one of those manual long speed handles and cut off oh about maybe (150 mm) and get a battery powered drill with two batteries. Then chuck the it into the drill and use it instead, which makes dropping the legs a lot quicker. If you want it level, you can use the manual speed handle for fine adjustments. Then all that work calls for a beer.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 AM   #37

THOR #8432
Quote:
Wind down... buy another one of those manual long speed handles and cut off oh about maybe (150 mm) and get a battery powered drill with two batteries. Then chuck the it into the drill and use it instead, which makes dropping the legs a lot quicker. If you want it level, you can use the manual speed handle for fine adjustments. Then all that work calls for a beer.
Oh yeah, if your wind down levelers have a socket that fits it, use that instead. Mine had the threaded ends pinched so it wouldn't fit a socket, but I did see a 'special tool' socket one time that cost a lot of money from the factory and it was just a socket that had portions of the grip to nut surface sawed away so it fit around the end of the pinched threads. It worked pretty good too.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #38

THOR #9936
Quote:
Yep, that's what I have, a long bar for the cordless drill and a crank handle for the final adjustment.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #39

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #8790
Exclamation

I purchased a Thor A.C.E. 30.2 July 2017. The first 12 months, the coach was in for repairs warranty covered 65% of that time. So, I lost the use of the coach, was placed in danger when the generator caught on fire due to electrical being wired "backwards", center console was been replaced 3 times due to no rear view camera malfunctioning, and etc., etc., etc. I had traded in 2005 Monaco 40 ft. diesel. Oh! how I wish I had it back. In 13 years had not one problem!
Also, I wish I had never purchased a Thor....such cheap material and disastrous constructing errors. Now, Thor will not add one day of warranty to the coach and I have obtained an attorney.
Please read all you can on the various coaches before spending $100,000.
Having recently toured the Air Stream factory in Ohio (owned by Thor) it does not
take more than 3 brain cells to see vividly what the difference is between the two coaches; of course, AS has a very large price tag, but it is worth the price.
Good luck, best wishes for purchasing a coach you can enjoy and be proud of. Thor will not backup their products.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #40

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnana View Post
I purchased a Thor A.C.E. 30.2 July 2017. The first 12 months, the coach was in for repairs warranty covered 65% of that time. So, I lost the use of the coach, was placed in danger when the generator caught on fire due to electrical being wired "backwards", center console was been replaced 3 times due to no rear view camera malfunctioning, and etc., etc., etc. I had traded in 2005 Monaco 40 ft. diesel. Oh! how I wish I had it back. In 13 years had not one problem!
Also, I wish I had never purchased a Thor....such cheap material and disastrous constructing errors. Now, Thor will not add one day of warranty to the coach and I have obtained an attorney.
Please read all you can on the various coaches before spending $100,000.
Having recently toured the Air Stream factory in Ohio (owned by Thor) it does not
take more than 3 brain cells to see vividly what the difference is between the two coaches; of course, AS has a very large price tag, but it is worth the price.
Good luck, best wishes for purchasing a coach you can enjoy and be proud of. Thor will not backup their products.
Yeah, them that can buy an Airstream cause it gets noticed. It stands out, not to mention it's easier to clean & is better built.