Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #16478
Useless knobs on mirrored closets

Hi all,
I’ve got a new Axis 25.6. The closet knobs are almost impossible to hold on to and pull the closets open. Anyone replaced these and if so with what? Due to the mirrors (which I also don’t like - another thing to clean) I can’t put on a traditional knob). Sorry pics are sideways not sure how to fix that).

Grace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D96F09A4-331F-4ACB-BA58-76CEEAC33EA2.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	20150   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDA387EB-498A-44C1-8F2E-1B1F7C874D2D.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	20151  

Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Model: 2018 Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #14061
useless knobs on mirrored closets

I did not like my mirrors either so I removed them and installed handles that match the rest of the handles on the coach.
Take the top rail off first then gently pull the mirrors off. They have some sticky foam tape holding them. then remove the bottom rail. You will have to do a little touch-up where the screws and staples were removed, but to me it was a great improvement overall.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

THOR #16478
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I did not like my mirrors either so I removed them and installed handles that match the rest of the handles on the coach.
Take the top rail off first then gently pull the mirrors off. They have some sticky foam tape holding them. then remove the bottom rail. You will have to do a little touch-up where the screws and staples were removed, but to me it was a great improvement overall.
Thanks! I'll have to convince my husband to remove the mirrors. I took at using the same handles as on the other cabinets, but on top of the doors so I can pull from there. Need to measure the space and see if that'll work as an alternative. I was hoping to find some other kind of undermount knobs that have a better handle, but so far no luck.

Really appreciate your suggestion.
Grace
Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not totally on subject but...I had Thor relocate a few of my handles when coach was there in December for warranty work. The cabinet doors are flimsy. With some of mine, mainly the rear bath, the knobs were mounted on the bottom and the catch was mounted on the top. Every time you open them, the cabinet door would torque a bit and I feared the joints would start coming loose or mirrors would crack...or both. Half bath had knobs on the bottom and catches were in the middle. I had all the knobs relocated based on where the catches were...if catches were on top and bottom...knobs went in the middle, etc. Made a huge difference and the baby scars left behind can hardly be seen. The tech actually wrote it up for weekly reviews with production. He said a lot of small future changes come about that way.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Not totally on subject but...The tech actually wrote it up for weekly reviews with production. He said a lot of small future changes come about that way.
You have a super C - correct? Diesel? How do you like it and does the higher cost of diesel pain you when you pull up to the pump?

I'm looking for a change. It's a diesel pulling a 5th wheel, a super C or Class A pusher. That's why I'm asking. Hope you and yours are well.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I'm not an "A" fan...mostly because of the serious cab quality issues and no air bags. The F550 chassis is a dream. Never drops from 6th gear running on cruise at 64MPH. The cab is the typical quality of a luxury pickup and whisper quiet. The dash A/C keeps the entire coach cool while underway without having to run generator and rooftop A/C's. The up-charge for this chassis with diesel is expensive. The additional cost of fuel is somewhat offset by the mileage of 11.7-12.2 MPG...but I didn't buy it for fuel savings. Granted...the "A" design is the ultimate MH...but the cabs are built by carpenters with little motor vehicle skills. The Ford F550 is a proven, built from the factory, commercial truck with a MH body built on the back. It's the best option out there today without going full MCI or Prevost type coach. Even the higher end DP's still have the cabs built by carpenters. Prior setup was a GMC 2500HD with 39' Open Range Roamer TT. Sold it after 2 years and went MH. Much easier to maneuver and set up once at the campground. We plan to see the Wild West next year and the "all-in-one" package of the MH is so much more comfortable. Wish I could have both as the TT had so much more room once at camp but worthless on the road at rest stops and boondocking since you can't hardly take a leak without putting slides out...much less have a lunch break at rest areas, etc. Everything across all setups is a sacrifice and they all have both strong and weak points.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #7

THOR #16478
Found the perfect replacement knobs

If any of you have these horrible knobs, after some searching I found these. Ordered one to check and it was fine, so ordered 3 more. No need to remove the mirrors as they hook under the bottom of the door and screw in from the back. The guy at the company was super nice. https://hardwarebydesign.com/product...sku-schw-59156
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59156_1_2000x.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	21707