Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
VEGAS/AXIS foot rest for shorter passenger

I think I read that at least one of you fellow VEGAS/AXIS owners had built a "foot rest" to allow shorter passengers to ride without their feet dangling.

At 6'3" I dont have this issue, but was wondering if anyone else did, and what your solution(s) are.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I think I read that at least one of you fellow VEGAS/AXIS owners had built a "foot rest" to allow shorter passengers to ride without their feet dangling.

At 6'3" I dont have this issue, but was wondering if anyone else did, and what your solution(s) are.

Thanks for any ideas you have.
My wife is vertically challenged and complained of her feet dangling. I bought an under desk foot rest from Amazon that she says is very comfortable. The foot rest has rubber nubs on the bottom that keep it from sliding around. Here is a picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	5330
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I bought a plastic storage box for my wife to put her feet on. It also gives her easily accessible storage space for her knitting supplies.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:08 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
DW uses a folding stool
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron covered a chunk of landscaping wood with a terry towel for me.
The 4 inches of height makes for a comfortable ride for me...I am not height challenged, but I like to have my feet elevated a bit
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
DW is our pilot and needs something to rest her right foot on???? Any suggestions as it obviously can't move around.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
DW is our pilot and needs something to rest her right foot on???? Any suggestions as it obviously can't move around.
does she need pedal extension? if so, we met a lady who ordered pedal extensions from a website...don't know name of site..presume a Google will find it ! if that is what she needs...if not I bet they have something that is made expecially for resting your foot on when not using it on a pedal.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #8

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Thanks Ron. I'll look into that. What, I think, she needs is to raise the floorboard an inch or two to rest her heel while foot is on accelerator. She drive this thing like it's her Honda Accord so I don't want to make it too comfortable, Haha.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Don't change the RV, change the shoes.

At 5'2" I can relate--while I can reach the pedals, driving is tiring if I cannot rest my heel (or other foot) on the floor. Since raising the floor is not an option, I raised my foot--I purchased a very comfortable (emphasis on comfortable) pair of canvas wedges. The wedge height is just enough to rest my heel and non-driving foot. I keep these in the RV and they are my driving shoes. Platform sneakers would work the same way as long as you could maintain the feel of the pedals underfoot, I just can't walk in platforms and wedges are easy. A practical solution, at least for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:22 AM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
MoMike,

I made the foot rest and/or storage bay. Wife is 5' with heels! Works fine we keep stuff in there like maps, brochures from campsites we like and other odds and ends. If I did it again I might use 1"X4" for the sides instead of 1"X6" as anyone over 5' 4" might find the rest too tall.

It slides under the chair and out of the way when not needed.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1497831637

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20160508_12_01_31_Pro.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	5342   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160508_12_06_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	5343  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #11

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
MoMike,

I made the foot rest and/or storage bay. Wife is 5' with heels! Works fine we keep stuff in there like maps, brochures from campsites we like and other odds and ends. If I did it again I might use 1"X4" for the sides instead of 1"X6" as anyone over 5' 4" might find the rest too tall.

It slides under the chair and out of the way when not needed.

Doc
Thanks Doc...

We were thinking about 3-4" would be about right...
Thanks for confirming. And it would be nice to have some storage for maps, papers. etc...(not having a glove box can be a pain)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #12

THOR #2142
MoMike,

The second hinge on the top allows part of the foot rest part to fold down along the back side then slide further in under the chair until it touches the chair mounting post.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1497868178

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20160508_12_01_31_Pro.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	5350   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160508_12_11_38_Pro.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	5351  

Name:	Diagram for Footrest.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	5352  

Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
THOR #6040
has anyone found a way to lower the seat?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #5440
I'm also a challenged driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
Hi all, I have been an avid consumer of these awesome forums since purchasing our first RV a year ago (2016 Thor Axis 25.2). I hope to be able to start contributing now that I have some time and miles under my belt.

I also do all of the driving since my husband is disabled. I'm 5'2" and also noticed the seat height discomfort (I didn't notice it during the short test drive, but did after driving it 300+ miles home from the dealership). The dealer said they could change the metal post to a shorter one, but I decided not to go that route (expense and aesthetics since the passenger side would be taller).

I've tried using a wooden bedroom tv tray that I had from Bed Bath Beyond. It's the kind you use when bringing someone breakfast in bed. It didn't move while driving and was about 1.5" tall. It allowed my to keep my heel down while on the accelerator. It worked OK but I still wasn't comfortable. What I actually ended up with (and still using) is a lumbar support cushion. It's not just the seat height, but the "seat depth" that was making it uncomfortable for me. Because my legs are short, if I sit all the way back in the seat, the back of my knees are pressed against the seat edge and would get numb after long driving. The lumbar cushion brings me about 2" forward on the seat. It leaves my knees free from any pressure points and because I'm forward further, also allows me to have my feet flat on the floorboard without the tv tray. It works but the setup is still not perfect as I also have issues with the arm rests being to wide to be of use while driving. Overall, the chair is just not made for short people!!

Pat
Old 06-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #15

THOR #2142
Pat,

Thanks for the insight on the lumbar support temporary solution. I have yet gotten the DW to do more than practice driving in empty parking lots and with just minutes of time at the helm she found out "the seat is not for short people"!!!

Please keep us posted as you work around this issue.

DocMike

Old 06-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #16

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the sidetrack in this thread is interesting to me. In my class C, I have the same problem with the gas pedal height above the floor.
It's not that I can't reach them.
I'm average size....wear a size 9-1/2 to 10 shoe
I have taken to normally driving with feet crossed.....the heel of my right foot resting atop my left foot
I have often thought of rigging up a pad of some sort and bolting it down.
Have approx 16,000 miles in driving like that though...and just finished a 19 day 5,200 mile trip..... so I get by.

Funny thing too is this pedal arrangement seems like the thing is made for someone with maybe size 12 or larger shoes....but I fit with the seat as far back as it'll go .... I would actually prefer it to be back a little bit more, and can't recline it any more when resting... No way a big size 12+ guy would even fit comfortably in that thing!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #17

THOR #4687
The seat is the main reason we decided against a class c in favor of the VEGAS ,25.2. Not being able to push the seat back enough, or recline sufficiently made the VEGAS the choice for this 6'2" guy.

And since the 25.2 doesn't have the slide behind the driver's seat, means there is not a wall to stop reclining while driving.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

And since the 25.2 doesn't have the slide behind the driver's seat, means there is not a wall to stop reclining while driving.
so that gives me the mental image of a Vegas
Bass music thumping
the driver with nothing visible except barely his head behind the door post and a limp wrist draped across the top of the wheel....
Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
so that gives me the mental image of a Vegas
Bass music thumping
the driver with nothing visible except barely his head behind the door post and a limp wrist draped across the top of the wheel....
Gotta have that gansta lean.........
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #20

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnoib View Post
Hi all, I have been an avid consumer of these awesome forums since purchasing our first RV a year ago (2016 Thor Axis 25.2). I hope to be able to start contributing now that I have some time and miles under my belt.

I also do all of the driving since my husband is disabled. I'm 5'2" and also noticed the seat height discomfort (I didn't notice it during the short test drive, but did after driving it 300+ miles home from the dealership). The dealer said they could change the metal post to a shorter one, but I decided not to go that route (expense and aesthetics since the passenger side would be taller).

I've tried using a wooden bedroom tv tray that I had from Bed Bath Beyond. It's the kind you use when bringing someone breakfast in bed. It didn't move while driving and was about 1.5" tall. It allowed my to keep my heel down while on the accelerator. It worked OK but I still wasn't comfortable. What I actually ended up with (and still using) is a lumbar support cushion. It's not just the seat height, but the "seat depth" that was making it uncomfortable for me. Because my legs are short, if I sit all the way back in the seat, the back of my knees are pressed against the seat edge and would get numb after long driving. The lumbar cushion brings me about 2" forward on the seat. It leaves my knees free from any pressure points and because I'm forward further, also allows me to have my feet flat on the floorboard without the tv tray. It works but the setup is still not perfect as I also have issues with the arm rests being to wide to be of use while driving. Overall, the chair is just not made for short people!!

Pat

I just came across this thread. I’m 5’1” also. I ordered a product called PedalMates. These are extensions that are bolted on to the gas and/or brake pedal or both. That are highly adjustable - height, angle - you name it-to almost any configuration required. They are fairly easy to install - I did it myself. You can get in. The cab and try out the angles and height as you go. Also, the pedal extensions are easily and quickly adjusted or removed if someone else is going to drive the RV. You can read about them on either Google or YouTube.