Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
Vegas Solar system

According to the specs the the 2018 Vegas is wired for Solar cells. Has anyone use this or know what all is required to hook a solar cell up?

Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
From what I have read you will need a solar panel(S), solar controller and some wiring to battery. You could use the 12 volt wires that the factory uses from the battery to the fuse panel (Which is normally where the factory will run the solar wires to) but they are only 4 gauge and you might need 2 g or larger depending on how much solar you want to run and the distance from the battery(S) to the solar controller etc.

Im sure someone has installed a solar system on a 2018 that can tell you more about this setup. But this should give you a rough idea.

OH and Dont forget some fuses and or circuit breakers.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Can't say about the 2018 but when I added 2 - 100 watt panels to the roof of ours I ran the wiring, 10 AWG, thru the refridg vent and then to the controller. I made my own combiner box from a weather proof electrical box and added a terminal strip inside. Sealed everything with Dicor.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #4

Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #7294
There is a video from “finding our happy” who goes over installing solar on his 2018 vegas that might be of help
Old 01-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I just finished the first phase of my plan. My 2018 came with 2 #10awg from the roof to under the bed. I mounted the controller there and output to the hot side of the Use/Store relay. I have 2x 130 watts on the roof. The charging current is small enough to not require larger wire to the batteries. Phase 2 will have 2 more panels, another controller (good only to 400watts) and 2 more batteries. Then it's 6v AGMs or blow my IRA and go Lithium ($600 vs $2200 plus). The batteries will require fabrication of a new mounting.
But it sure is nice seeing the batteries charging in the morning after the furnace sucking them down.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Sounds awesome!! Please post your own thread with pictures and details on this project - what you used - would you would change etc.

I hope to add solar sometime this year. Its not that I really "need it" rigth now but I hoping my 2019 im able to work on the road 2 to 3 mo a year.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote