Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Glare on side cameras

Hi I have a 2018 Miramar 35.3 and sometimes the glare on the side cameras make it impossible to see anything, does anyone have a way to help or fixing this
Thanks

Old 04-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Problem with all cameras at certain sim angles. Become proficient in adjusting and using the side view mirrors.

I don’t even look at the cameras anymore unless I am checking on the TOAD. To me the side cameras are a distraction.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #3

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Hi. I use mirrors - period. I only use side cameras while pulling up to a curb, or before I pull away from parking spot to ensure no one (or thing) is on my left or right side. But from a driving perspective, I find that my eyes are off the road too long while I try and look at the poorly placed screen. If you think you really need that option, upgrade to a dash mounted display.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Hw lo0ng have you been driving?
Haven't you ever noticed this before in your mirrors?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The monitor type cameras stuck on RVs are generally VERY low quality. They don't have high quality Nikon lenses and Sony sensors. The sensors cannot handle bright spectral reflection situations, and will just "wash out".

I agree with the posters who suggest get comfortable using your properly adjusted outside mirrors. Car/truck/RV monitor cameras are a fairly recent technology. People drove successfully for years without them.

I also use a rearview monitor for the TOAD. But when the sun is behind me it is nearly useless (washed out) - but I accept that as a function of an "intended purpose" camera.

I promise you... the more you use, and TRUST, your mirrors - the sooner you will feel comfortable using them - like second nature.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I don’t necessarily agree with some of the comments in this thread. Any information is good and the more information the better. Mirrors and cameras can work hand-in-hand and be better than one by itself.

I rely on the mirrors and cameras in my Magnitude…. I don’t rely on mirrors ornjust cameras for maximum visibility and safety.

I also just purchased a new GMC Sierra AT4 with so many camera views and angles it increases saftey exponentially… especially when towing. I don’t care what anyone says. I can even see from over the vehicle when backing up.

With that out of the way….. you may not be actually experiencing glare. I had an Outlaw 29H and in warm and humid weather my side cameras would actually fog up from condensation. When at highway speeds the humid air would cool rapidly and moisture would form on the camera distorting the view. In some cases it can even get behind the lens on the cheaper cameras because if a poor seal.

When sitting still or cooler / dryer temps the camera views were just fine. You may want to try your cameras after the coach as been sitting a while and see if the view improves…. especially in bright sunlight.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:52 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I always check the monitor when turning on the signal

Decent quality and certainly adequate

If you're pushing 70 feet length trying to change lanes in traffic your copilot can monitor the scrern while you drive and check the mirror
Old 04-03-2022, 02:56 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
Hi I have a 2018 Miramar 35.3 and sometimes the glare on the side cameras make it impossible to see anything, does anyone have a way to help or fixing this
Thanks
I rear camera is on all the time. I use that view to see I am clear of whoever I am passing. when I see my toad has cleared the truck that is when I turn on my turn signal. I usually use the mirrors then.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:33 AM   #9

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
When we had a Thor ACE i found the sideview cameras useless while driving because by the time they came on I was done with my maneuver. I used my mirrors and relied on them. I did use the rear camera to watch the toad.....that was helpful.

We now have a travel trailer, towing with a Ram 2500 and I don't have sideview cameras and do not miss them. I did install a rearview camera on the trailer which acts as my rearview mirror.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:50 AM   #10

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
When we had a Thor ACE i found the sideview cameras useless while driving because by the time they came on I was done with my maneuver. I used my mirrors and relied on them. I did use the rear camera to watch the toad.....that was helpful.

We now have a travel trailer, towing with a Ram 2500 and I don't have sideview cameras and do not miss them. I did install a rearview camera on the trailer which acts as my rearview mirror.
Same here... rear camera is constantly on... Whether flat towing or not . Monitor is mounted to inside rearview mirror.

Judge has a point... the more tools you have, the easier the task. If one doesn't work, another one just might.

A pesky problem on my list is to solve the massive blind spot at angled "Y" intersections - where mirrors are blocked by that big box you're sitting in! Anyone else encounter that??
Old 04-17-2022, 03:26 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
IMO, relying on the camera and it's monitor forces one to take their eyes off the road. Their is a reason why some vehicles and most fighter jets have a HUD.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:36 AM   #12

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
IMO, relying on the camera and it's monitor forces one to take their eyes off the road. Their is a reason why some vehicles and most fighter jets have a HUD.
Agree. And having the cameras display on a low in-dash monitor forcing you to look down is a disaster waiting to happen! A really stupid unsafe design. The tilt-up monitors are better, but if you have to tilt your head DOWN to see it?

IMO, a good test is if you can easily see the monitor JUST by shifting your eyes, NOT moving your head, it's MUCH safer. That's why an inside rearview mirror is mounted where it is.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
We have a 2020 Hurricane with stock side and rear view cameras and stock Axxera monitor. The view on the screen from all 3 cameras has always been so dim and washed out as to be useless for a quick glance while driving, if I can focus on it for a couple of seconds, like when I am backing up, it is useful but not what I would call good. A few days ago we got to our overnight “RV Park” and found it to be so junky that my wife would not stay there even for the night. It was already getting dark when we headed for a different park. I have had this class A for 1 1/2 years and never driven it in the dark. As we were driving and it was getting darker the camera views in the monitor became better and better! I could not believe how much brighter and clearer it was! In this situation it was an even better view than in the side mirrors due to the wide angle. I’m no video expert, but I would say there was plenty of pixels and good resolution in the equipment, just very poor response to ambient light. I like rear view mirrors and am comfortable using them but I wish I could have this good of a view from the cameras all the time.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post

I just put the turn-signals on a second or two early, and let the cameras turn on...
THEN I start figuring out if the lane change is possible!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #15

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Our 2015 ACE turn signal cameras come on quickly if the radio is on. The radio does not pick up FM stations from any distance so is pretty useless while driving. I keep the radio on and sound turned off so the cameras come on with the turn signal. If the radio is off it must turn on then the cameras come on taking several seconds. Jim.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:06 PM   #16

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Our 2015 ACE turn signal cameras come on quickly if the radio is on. The radio does not pick up FM stations from any distance so is pretty useless while driving. I keep the radio on and sound turned off so the cameras come on with the turn signal. If the radio is off it must turn on then the cameras come on taking several seconds. Jim.
Mine come on as soon as you move the lever