Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Verizon 55+ plan

Ive had verizon for ever but was thinking about switching to an unlimited plan either at&t of t mobile. T mobile being the cheapest but lest quality. Opened my Verizon account and just got an offer and signed up for Verizon 55 and older plan

Two line unlimited for $80. I was paying $85 for 4 gigs

No more fighting with the DW for overage on data

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That IS a good deal!
We're with Verizon, and paying about double that for two line unlimited...

Please send them my way...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I saw them advertise this about 4-6 weeks ago.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
May need to check into this again but DW looked at it and didn't seem to fit us. Currently have 3 lines and 10 g of data for 138.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
2 lines, 8 Gb data each, works in Mexico and Canada, $70 a month (for both, not each).

And the $20 a month connected car plan on a Mobley.

AT&T Prepaid.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Says only with a FL/MO/IL address?
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Says only with a FL/MO/IL address?
Correct but they also offer it in other states as a loyalty offer for being a long term customer.
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #8

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
I was disappointed that this doesn't allow the addition of a mobile hotspot. We're searching for the best deal on a hotspot.

Pete
Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I was disappointed that this doesn't allow the addition of a mobile hotspot. We're searching for the best deal on a hotspot.

Pete
Emmett, this might be what you are looking for https://netbuddy.co/ unlimited no caps or throttling, $60 a month
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #10

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Emmett, this might be what you are looking for https://netbuddy.co/ unlimited no caps or throttling, $60 a month
Thanks!

I just joined FMCA. They have worked a plan with Verizon. $50/Month with a free hotspot device. Of course you have to be a FMCA member.

Pete
Old 10-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

THOR #1620
Quote:
Thanks!

I just joined FMCA. They have worked a plan with Verizon. $50/Month with a free hotspot device. Of course you have to be a FMCA member.

Pete
I remember getting that email a while back and forgot to check it out.
Would be interested in how it works out.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

THOR #1620
Quote:
Thanks!

Pete
Ahhh, I just found this about the fmca plan *Throughout of data speeds will be limited should 25GB of data be used within a given bill cycle"

Not really unlimited. We purchased a grandfathered ATT plan off of ebay, costs us $70 a month and it is absolutely no caps or throttling. When FMCA came out with this a couple months ago I could have sworn it said no caps.

In FMCA FAQ's, " Is there a data threshold?

There is no data limit within a given billing cycle. However, you will see decreased speeds upon 25GB of usage in a given billing cycle. Slowdown speeds will range between 70 kbps – 2.7 mbps. Normal 4G LTE speeds will resume at the beginning of the new billing cycle."
Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, You have to be careful about the wording, and the 'limits', on these Unlimited touted plans, even though some will fit many, and some will not, as we all use our 'phones' slightly differently.

If you want TRULY unlimited DATA, none will provide that, they ALL have 'caps', which is the wording or subject your are truly interested in if your main concern is the internet.
Hard or Soft 'limits', or caps, are really just nice terms to say that either the carrier 'MAY' or 'WILL' slow down your speeds, which is the real issue with 'unlimited' data plans.
While a slow speed might be o.k. for very basic email usage, it's hardly what we 'expect' for browsing the net, and doing things online that we have grown used to everyday, and sometimes almost ALL day!

Hotspotting is the other 'issue', as many of us now simply use our phone as the source for all 'wifi' connections for our other devices, like computers, laptops, eReaders, ePads, and the like. Without the ability to use your phone as a wifi source, or a 'hot spot', then you are up the creek without a paddle, and with a large hole in the boat!
If you DO have the ability to hotspot, then you have to be REAL CAREFUL about the wording on the contract/plan...
Some carriers allow what seems as 'unlimited' hotspotting, but the catch is that after a certain use of data, maybe 10GB, your hotspot signal SPEED to your other devices will be woefully slowed, or CRAWLED is a better term, such as down to 128mb. To put that is perspective, 128mb is probably about 1/100th of the speed we are used to.

Also:
Some carriers will have a higher speed when the DO slow down the hotspot, but the action will take effect sooner, sometimes only days into the monthly plan timeframe, leaving 20+ days of 'slow' connection.
If you use your phone for most things, then you'll probably not as readily see much of a slow down, ALTHOUGH, these plans all also slow down the phone's connection speed after a certain number of GBs have been used, such as 22gb, on the plan itself, not just on the specific phone, so it can effect ALL phones or devices on the plan when this happens.

All of this is a little maddening, as you have to really 'assess' your usage, your needs, and the plan design that will, for most months, work 'best' for you. There is no simple or easy or 'one size for all' plan... never.

We used to fight with phone call 'minutes', back in the day.

Then we fought with number of 'texts' sent and received.

Now, even though 'Unlimited Data' is the catchy headline,
we fight about the 'speed' of the internet!

fun : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
All the carriers in the major cities are pretty close in coverage. In the rural areas - T-mobile fell short. But they have been building out their network. We have had them for years and they are great now. In May near Yosemite NP, my 4G signal was lost. I used it to stream Netflix and Prime at night. Customer Service had me switch to 3G and the next day the cell site was repaired and 4G back again. We were in the foothills and only one tower serviced the RV campground. There is an Android app called " Signal Strength" by Lakshman (its free) that shows the cell towers you can see and does wifi also. which is what I use it for.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #15

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes, You have to be careful about the wording, and the 'limits', on these Unlimited touted plans, even though some will fit many, and some will not, as we all use our 'phones' slightly differently.

If you want TRULY unlimited DATA, none will provide that, they ALL have 'caps', which is the wording or subject your are truly interested in if your main concern is the internet.
Hard or Soft 'limits', or caps, are really just nice terms to say that either the carrier 'MAY' or 'WILL' slow down your speeds, which is the real issue with 'unlimited' data plans.
While a slow speed might be o.k. for very basic email usage, it's hardly what we 'expect' for browsing the net, and doing things online that we have grown used to everyday, and sometimes almost ALL day!

Hotspotting is the other 'issue', as many of us now simply use our phone as the source for all 'wifi' connections for our other devices, like computers, laptops, eReaders, ePads, and the like. Without the ability to use your phone as a wifi source, or a 'hot spot', then you are up the creek without a paddle, and with a large hole in the boat!
If you DO have the ability to hotspot, then you have to be REAL CAREFUL about the wording on the contract/plan...
Some carriers allow what seems as 'unlimited' hotspotting, but the catch is that after a certain use of data, maybe 10GB, your hotspot signal SPEED to your other devices will be woefully slowed, or CRAWLED is a better term, such as down to 128mb. To put that is perspective, 128mb is probably about 1/100th of the speed we are used to.

Also:
Some carriers will have a higher speed when the DO slow down the hotspot, but the action will take effect sooner, sometimes only days into the monthly plan timeframe, leaving 20+ days of 'slow' connection.
If you use your phone for most things, then you'll probably not as readily see much of a slow down, ALTHOUGH, these plans all also slow down the phone's connection speed after a certain number of GBs have been used, such as 22gb, on the plan itself, not just on the specific phone, so it can effect ALL phones or devices on the plan when this happens.

All of this is a little maddening, as you have to really 'assess' your usage, your needs, and the plan design that will, for most months, work 'best' for you. There is no simple or easy or 'one size for all' plan... never.

We used to fight with phone call 'minutes', back in the day.

Then we fought with number of 'texts' sent and received.

Now, even though 'Unlimited Data' is the catchy headline,
we fight about the 'speed' of the internet!

fun : )
As I noted before www.netbuddy.co is unlimited and $60. I have friends who use it to stream their tv packages everyday of the year. No caps, no throttles, If you see something that says otherwise please advise.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #16

THOR #1620
If any of you follow Will Prowse here is a video he did of his netbuddy system https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0PRQNEmbWM4
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
If any of you follow Will Prowse here is a video he did of his netbuddy system https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0PRQNEmbWM4
Did you see this comment?

Quote:
Tim Layton
1 month ago
I did the research and this Net Buddy plan will eventually be shut down by AT&T because Net Buddy (created in 09/2017) is reselling the iPad $30/mo plan for $60/mo (2X the real cost). Net Buddy is exploiting a hack of the SIM card. Anyone can register for the AT&T $30/mo plan with a cellular enabled iPad and then (for now) you can move that SIM card to an AT&T hotspot and it works. You can be assured that AT&T will stop this at some point. And, the plan is not truly unlimited as it is subject to slowdowns after 22mb. All of the major carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc) are in the business of making money and they will kill this plan at some point because it is based on a loophole
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #18

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Did you see this comment?
I had not seen that post. Will be interesting to see if it happens.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #19

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
What router are using with NetBuddy?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #20

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
What router are using with NetBuddy?
If you are referring to me, I dont use netbuddy, only posting I have friends that do