Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Mr. Turner's Post# 13 is Bullseye!! The basic 8GB of Verizon is as good as a kiss blown from the front porch vs. a long, sloppy lip-to-lip kiss. They will wear you out with the $15 per each GB each month over the 8 in your plan. 20GB is a minimum for me as I use the phone for YouTube videos or campgrounds and other planned attractions, bill paying plus many other things. Public WIFI is the worst thing you can use for sensitive functions like checking your bank accounts, transferring money, etc. When all the dust settles, all of the carriers pretty much have the same program...just in different words and fees you can't understand.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I can tell you the $50 Verizon FMCA plan is pretty much guaranteed to go to 70kbps once you get to 25GB. If you are a heavy streaming user this plan isn’t for you.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We’ve switched to Verizon about 5 years ago when ATT service at our house took a big drop in quality. Plus its been my experience that Version has much more effective coverage the hinterlands where we spend a lot of time with the motor home. So far no 55+ plan in Colorado.

We have 3 phones on a plan where we get 16GB plus a 4GB bonus that we got at one time when we upgraded phones a couple cycles ago. The plan also has a roll over feature that rolls over data from the previous month (Unlike ATT that had an accumulating rollover plan for awhile). So we effectively have 20 GB plus whatever we didn’t use last month. Our bill for all three phones on a shared data plan is $163/month.

They must think I’m getting a good deal (??) as they keep offering their new “unlimited” plans. The one thing they do say I that if I drop my current plan, there is no going back, so they must really think I’m getting more than they would like me to.

From what I can see, their “unlimited” plans are effectively 20GB plans as they all throttle after 20MB. I have that now. Plus to get the “unlimited” plan costs something like another $40/mo but they will offer a $20 discount if I give them direct withdrawal from my bank account.

I’m considering a change to T-Mobil, but the main thing stopping me is poor data coverage once you get away from cities. We have Verizon iPhones obtained directly through Apple, so we do have the freedom to switch carriers without having to get new phones.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #24

THOR #11130
Your plan is the best one out there...don't switch. They want you to give up something that's good for you and not-so-good for them.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #25

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
I walker into a Verizon store this morning with the FMCA/Verizon plan and my FMCA Membership card. At first they were skeptical of the deal I would be getting and tried to convince me that the plan was no longer valid. When I said I'd go home and call Verizon to see if they were correct or just uninformed, they got on the computer system and worked through the process. Lo and behold, I now have a Verizon hotspot being shipped 2-day to my home. I will have hotspot "unlimited" access to Verizon's network for $50/month. The hotspot cost me 1 cent and speeds are throttled after 25 GB. There is a two year contract (due to the free hotspot device) and the FMCA membership for two years was $110.

We don't stream video in the motorhome because I download videos to my iPad at home to watch while we're camping. I airplay to an Apple TV in the motorhome.

I can answer any other questions folks might have.

Pete
Old 10-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #26

THOR #11130
I just got back from several days work on our home and helping others in Panama City Beach, FL. Verizon was totally down. AT&T was up and running. Tens of thousands without cell service, including some police, EMS services and tons of contractors/helper bees. AT&T allowed Verizon to "bounce" off their towers but Verizon said no. They knew AT&T would show up as the service provider on the Verizon phones and they didn't want to loose customers to AT&T. That's how much they care about you. We will be switching soon to another carrier...not sure who, but i know who it will not be. They did restore minimal service for voice and text (it was in and mostly out) but no data. After a few days they changed their tune but the initial response is usually the most accurate of one's attitude...just like they did you when you first walked in. Before someone chimes in saying "AT&T cannot show up on a Verizon phone"...save your breath...I saw it first hand.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #27

THOR #5190
Verizon was also the bunch of corporate hacks who effectively cut off firefighters in Northern California by throttling them down to nothing while they were deployed against this summer’s wildfires. First response by Verizon was to attempt to blackmail them into a much more expensive plan. They finally relented after they got enough bad press.

The cell and internet business needs massive regulation as a condition of maintaining their virtual monopolies. None of the carriers actually compete with one another. A good start would be true unlimited service to public protection agencies as a condition of doing business.
RVi Brake 3
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Verizon is the best out there. Best coverage. im very happy they offered this plan to me for being a long time customer

Every trip we use a lot of data , well Maria does. Having unlimited prevents the overage fight with her. That in its self is worth keeping verizon and for $80 its a no brainer

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #29

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The Verizon 55+ Unlimited plan is $80 for 2 lines. BUT, the Hotspot speed in only 600 kbps. The other plans have a LTE Hotspot for the first 15GB and then throttle back to the 600 kbps speed.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #30

THOR #11130
Nobody gets unlimited, unrestricted data for $80 per month...nobody!! Verizon doesn't read these forums, so blowing smoke up their butts will do you no good. Everybody at our age is a long time customer to almost every business...that doesn't get you free sprinkles on your ice cream either.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #31

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Having unlimited prevents the overage fight with her. That in its self is worth keeping verizon and for $80 its a no brainer

Jerry
The sacrifices we make in the name of domestic tranquility. I end up having to pass by way too many breweries in towns we stay near.
RVi Brake 3