Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
Model: Outback 323 BH
State: Alabama
THOR #8747
Synergy

I've been looking into purchasing a Synergy from a local dealership. I love the size and functionality while my significant other loves the techno side of it. It's just hard to pull the trigger after I've read so many negative comments about thor products. Any advice on what to do???

Old 09-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy tt24
State: New York
THOR #8492
I purchased a Synergy 2018 TT 24 few months ago. Indeed I have a punch list of repairs and adjustments to attend to. The vast majority of the repairs have zero to do with Thor. They are equipment installed that most manufacturers use. I do believe it’s important to note that Thor is huge and produces a great deal of RVs and it should come as no shock there are complaints. When making my decision and looking at the same things you are ask how much of what your seeing is related to Thor. Can they do better on QC of course. There were a few almost amusing things that got through. Example is a sink cover being glued down or saw dust flying out ac vents or a stripped screw hole securing a cabinet door hing. All this was very easily handled.

If you wish to know more I would be happy to discuss. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Outback 323 BH
State: Alabama
THOR #8747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlevitt View Post
I purchased a Synergy 2018 TT 24 few months ago. Indeed I have a punch list of repairs and adjustments to attend to. The vast majority of the repairs have zero to do with Thor. They are equipment installed that most manufacturers use. I do believe it’s important to note that Thor is huge and produces a great deal of RVs and it should come as no shock there are complaints. When making my decision and looking at the same things you are ask how much of what your seeing is related to Thor. Can they do better on QC of course. There were a few almost amusing things that got through. Example is a sink cover being glued down or saw dust flying out ac vents or a stripped screw hole securing a cabinet door hing. All this was very easily handled.

If you wish to know more I would be happy to discuss. Good luck.

I'm assuming you had s choice if which type of generator you wanted. Could you discuss which one you chose and why. This will be my first non towable rv so I'm not familiar with this specific issue.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don't have a Synergy, but I am very happy with my 2017 Freedom Elite and in my few interactions with Thor I have found them to be helpful and responsive. It's not that I don't believe the problems reported on this forum but I am confident that there are many more satisfied customers than dissatisfied ones. Certainly there will be some adjustments and repairs early on but once you get past them I believe you will have many years of good service from your Synergy. I have no reservations about recommending Thor products. They provide excellent value for the money.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Model: Synergy tt24
State: New York
THOR #8492
I will tell you I was very focused on having a diesel generator as I knew I would use it heavily. For me that has proven to be the case. My concern centered around propane availability and running time off my internal tank. In reality I have never come close to running out of fuel. I was concerned however and installed a camping extender system that allows me to run off an auxiliary 20 pound tank I carry. It’s never been used once. The generator runs perfectly. I would go propane again knowing what I know now.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #6

Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
Purchased 2017 Thor Citation 24SR. 12,500 miles in USA
And Canada No problems at all. LP generator.. Use it as needed without issue. I have made several modifications to suit my needs. Moved microwave to upper cabinet and added 3 drawers where microwave was located. Put a larger sink in bathroom. Added extra outlets. Added a Broan electric heater.
Added extra cabinet in bathroom and extra towel bars in bedroom. Added storage shelves in storage compartments.

Love the mb diesel! Drives great. No issues.

I would buy another Thor if I needed another RV.

Buy what works best for YOU. Make mods to make it yours.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 AM   #7

Model: Synergy
State: California
THOR #9032
2017 Synergy

Plan on a lot of time in the shop. We have found many issues, Heater only works in back, TVs not hooked up properly, Grommets missing from firewall. So far biggest issue is handling. We did New stabilizer bars and Kuni shocks all around. 3000.00 and now handles great. Maiden voyage average 16.1 mpg.
My biggest surprise was how difficult it is to get service done. Some shops backed up till November. I do believe once all warranty issues are done we will be happy campers. Seems like all coaches come this way. So we are trying (with great help from this forum) to be informed consumers.
This is an amazing source of help and good humor.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
In June I bought a 2017 Synergy and have put 10,000 miles on it. The on demand water heater never has worked properly and I will have to replace with a tank model. Replaced the water pump. Many small repairs due to Thor carelessness in design and manufacturing such as latches missing and light covers falling off. The back up monitor fell out of the dash....twice. my list of repairs exceeds 40 items now in only 4 months. The Mercedes Sprinter chassis is great. If your hobby is fixing things, then you will love it. Otherwise, you might consider a Winnebago View or Navion.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 AM   #9

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks2017 View Post
I've been looking into purchasing a Synergy from a local dealership. I love the size and functionality while my significant other loves the techno side of it. It's just hard to pull the trigger after I've read so many negative comments about thor products. Any advice on what to do???
We have a 2016.5 Thor Synergy TT24 (2015 Sprinter chassis) with about 24,000 miles on it. I like the floorplan, I like its mobility and being able to take it wherever we want (within reason), and its fuel economy. Yes, it had warranty issues that Thor should have handled in the factory but what I read on other owner's forum their manufacturers are just as complacent.

1. Do your homework and go to RV shows and dealer lots to see your model and explore what other manufacturers offer. It's a lot like house hunting so don't rush out and buy on a whim. On this, and other forums, owners will tell you the good and the bad of their ownership so if you see a Sprinter motorhome in a parking lot or interstate rest area you might ask for their opinion.

2. Figure out how you will use/load it, and evaluate the load capacities and holding tank sizes versus your personal expectations. Doing so may cause you to re-evaluate your choices.

3. Do you want new or used. Are you handy with do-it-yourself projects? Each and every RV (new and used) is a work in progress. They can also be a money pit if you go overboard on gadgets and stuff.

4. Evaluate the selling dealer. Some owners swear by the big dealers and others prefer the independent dealer. Try to find one that has a qualified service center and know that your rig will have issues while under warranty. If you are handy with tools you might avoid some trips to a dealer, and the more you can do yourself the better prepared you will be for when something happens on the road.

5. Use your motorhome often in the early weeks/months to ferret out the warranty problems and make a list. The list and photos of defects also help build your case and may be used by the dealer when they go to Thor.

6. Ask about the warranty period. Typically it is 12 months on the coach and longer for the chassis. Ask to see it in writing AND ALSO ask to see what the warranty is for the roof as they can be different.

7. Make an informed decision on the generator. Some prefer propane and some prefer diesel.

You get the picture. Read what others say but take everything with the proverbial grain of salt.

Best regards,
Ed L
2016 Thor Synergy TT24 3.0L V6
Beaver, WV
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
I bought a 2017 Synergy 9 months ago, took it to 34 states, and have 15000 miles on it. I was disappointed in the Thor workmanship, but my problems were pale compared to people who bought other Thor brands. If you are handy with tools, you should be able to fix all the little annoyances.

Actually, I have not had any major equipment failures. I love the Mercedes-Benz body and frame. It is so small that I don't have to tow a toad and I have actually parked it in a normal parking space where the back end can go over a grassy strip. RV parks always seem to have room for us little guys and I can hook up and break down in less than ten minutes.

All the tanks are a little small if you plan to do a lot of dry camping....I can go only about five days before dumping, but that is no big thing to me. The Synergy has great storage compared to other rigs of it's size.

The couch that pulls out into a bed is worthless, but I found a recliner love seat on Amazon that is reasonably priced, comfortable, and easy to install. Don't bother going through Thor to try to get a recliner because if it is after market, they could care less about you. I even went to the factory and no luck.

The gas mileage is great. I averaged over 15 mpg on my US trip and over 14 mpg in the mountains of the west coast. The heater has worked great in the cold nights of Nevada and the air conditioner saved us in the repressive summer heat and humidity of Georgia.

While I have been a real critic of Thor, after I got all the bugs worked out, I am now very happy with my little RV. We call it Sunshine, because there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #11

Model: Synergy
State: California
THOR #9032
2017 Synergy

Thanks so much for your reply. We did the shocks and stabilizer bars. That helped a lot. I think our experience will be like yours. Once we work out the little kinks and learn how to work everything it should be fine.
I am really looking forward to years of adventures!