Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Florida
THOR #1942
Want to tow a 2016 Forester behind my 2015 Thor Windsport 34F

I want to tow an automatic 2016 Subaru Forester behind my 2015 Thor Windsport 34F. All indications seem to point to me needing a trailer to tow it four wheels up since it's an automatic, is this accurate?

The trailer I am looking at is 7x18 feet, has a GVWR of 7000#. Would I be able to tow this behind my Thor, with the Subaru on it (about 3100lbs)? Or would it be more than my rig could handle?

Thanks,
S.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekitties View Post
I want to tow an automatic 2016 Subaru Forester behind my 2015 Thor Windsport 34F. All indications seem to point to me needing a trailer to tow it four wheels up since it's an automatic, is this accurate?

The trailer I am looking at is 7x18 feet, has a GVWR of 7000#. Would I be able to tow this behind my Thor, with the Subaru on it (about 3100lbs)? Or would it be more than my rig could handle?

Thanks,
S.
First, Subaru Foresters can only be towed four down if equipped with a manual transmission. Automatics must be towed on a trailer.

The Windsport (34 foot and larger) GVWR is 22K and GCWR is 26K which indicates a maximum towing capacity of 4,000 pounds. The combined weight of the trailer and vehicle may result in you exceeding the GCWR. The smaller Windsports have a slightly higher towing capacity based on lower GVWRs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
If you are going to do this you need to look into an all aluminum car trailer to
get the weight of the trailer down to a manageable weight.

Or trade your auto Subaru in for a stick shift 2015 or older.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #4

THOR #1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
If you are going to do this you need to look into an all aluminum car trailer to
get the weight of the trailer down to a manageable weight.

Or trade your auto Subaru in for a stick shift 2015 or older.

Right. I guess what frustrates me is that it sounds like some of the smaller units could tow more than my larger unit. That's frustrating. I may have to look at a completely different toad ugh.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
When even Remco tells you that your vehicle needs a trailer, you're officially not in the possession of a TOAD.

You are in the possession of a vehicle that might as well be a pile of bricks, (albeit, potentially a very nice pile of bricks). However, they both need to be on a trailer in order to pull behind your motorhome.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
Too bad... I just purchased a 2016 Forester in a manual transmission.... its a great tow vehicle.... if you can live with the 6 speed manual .
Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #7

THOR #1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
Too bad... I just purchased a 2016 Forester in a manual transmission.... its a great tow vehicle.... if you can live with the 6 speed manual .

Sadly I don't know how to drive manual :-(. It's ok I'll probably get a lightweight trailer and make it work. But if I can't make it work I'll likely have to purchase a special car for just this purpose.

Once you get into the price of some of these motor homes, what's another car?! Lol
Old 08-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
What makes for a good TOAD? Apparently manual transmission is a must. I am looking around for an old VW Thing to restore or a Subaru Truck (Baja). I have seen some pretty TOADS in the pictures on this Forum (a blue Nissan 370 I believe). I see a lot of Jeeps on the road being towed but a good friend at CarMax told me that cutting into the frame for the towing assembly reduces the resale value of the Jeep.

Any recommendations, suggestions or advice?

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
I think a VW Thing would be a great toad! We've been towing a Manx dune buggy for the last year. It was great until it broke down in Wyoming and I couldn't fix it, then the Jackson shop jacked it all up.

We bought the manual transmission Forester for long trips when we needed reliability, but for local trips the buggy is great! I love the simplicity of the VW tow bar....
Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
What makes for a good TOAD? I see a lot of Jeeps on the road being towed but a good friend at CarMax told me that cutting into the frame for the towing assembly reduces the resale value of the Jeep.

Any recommendations, suggestions or advice?

We tow a 2005 Jeep with a Blue Ox tow bar. There is no cutting on the frame. The base plate was bolted on. Makes a great toad because it is 4 wheel drive. Put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park and it is ready to go.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #11

THOR #2142
Okay, being a newbie as far as towing (and never have owned a Jeep) I am a bit confused..."transfer case in neutral and tranmission in park". For the past 25 years driving an automatic may have given me the wrong perspective of park. Please explain how having the transmission in park allows for towing...I'm lost here. Help.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Okay, being a newbie as far as towing (and never have owned a Jeep) I am a bit confused..."transfer case in neutral and tranmission in park". For the past 25 years driving an automatic may have given me the wrong perspective of park. Please explain how having the transmission in park allows for towing...I'm lost here. Help.
A Jeep 4x4 has an "extra transmission" called a transfer case. The transfer case is behind the transmission and is used to switch in and out of 4x4 mode. Typically a transfer case has its own neutral setting. Thus you can leave the transmission in park and place the transfer case in neutral for towing.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
My Dodge Dakota 4x4 has the same set up. There is a procedure to follow, but yes
auto trans in park and transfer case in neutral.

Some Ford & Chevy products with auto trans can be towed 4 down. Honda's older
than 2016 with auto trans can be towed 4 down, but there also is a procedure to
follow.

Some other cars w/auto trans require you use a tow dolly. Actually cheaper to
purchase than the tow 4 down setups (I spend $3100 for my Blue OX w/brake controller & install).
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Thanks for the info.

The only recent AWD's I have dealt with have been my wife's Jaguar X-type AWD's and my DW has nixed the idea of it being a TOAD.

The VW Thing looks better and better as an option.

Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
AWD is not the same as 4WD. AWD vehicles may not have a transfer case that can be placed in Neutral like most 4WD vehicles.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #16

THOR #2142
So with AWD if it is Automatic you need a trailer, if Manual all for down with the car in neutral...correct.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Generally that is correct. You do, however, want to verify the specific requirements or limitations in the vehicles owner's manual. Most will have a section titled something like "Recreational Towing".
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #18

THOR #2142
Will do, that will definately influence the next vehicle purchased.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #19

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I was out of cell range over the weekend and didn't see your questions to my post. Glad others answered your questions.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #20

THOR #2142
No problem, that is what I like about this Forum...you can get information from those who have already addressed the problem/situation. No sense re-inventing the wheel!

Thanks.