Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
WARNING "Recreation.gov" users

I just wanted to let anyone who uses the Recreation.gov site for reservations of a possible problem with the site involving charges to your credit card that you didn't indent. Yesterday I received a notice of a charge on my Visa for $69 from a company called Active.com. Right after that I received an email from the company "Active Advantage" that said my membership trial period had expired and they were charging me for my annual membership. I checked out the site and saw that it was a resource site for competitive runners (which I'm really not )

Since I knew I had not signed up (at least not intentionally) I had the charge canceled by my Visa provider. It really bugged me that these guys had not only my CC information, but my email address as well. I went to the Active.com site and looked around. They host many different services including Recreation.gov which I do use. However, I know that I never would intentionally sign up for their membership even if it was a "free" trial. I don't think I did. So I did a little Googling and found a whole bunch of complaints about them including this fairly in depth article (https://www.outsideonline.com/192701...e-registration).

Just wanted to let everyone know so no one else get's stuck with charges from this outfit. My days with Recreation.gov are over

Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Recreation.gov is an example of privatization of what should be a government function. Somebody bids on providing this service, get an exclusive contract, and makes a profit whether the service is satisfactory or not. Wish I could suggest a good alternative to you and others but to make reservations in federal campgrounds, this is the system. It may be a moot question. The new administration has put out a hiring freeze and the seasonal employees that serve the parks, forests, etc. are sitting at home waiting to see if they get a call this year. Some services may be a defacto shut down this year for lack of people to run the campgrounds and such.
Call your congressperson if that is not satisfactory to you.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
The same thing happened to me while booking a site. I completed the booking of the site I wanted and after completing the transaction I was taken to a page that made it look like I had not booked the site and had to hit accept to book the site. Come to find out I did book the site on the previous page and the second page was a trick to make an agreement to sign up for active. I was charged and had to cancel the charge with my cc company.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:32 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Recreation.gov is an example of privatization of what should be a government function. Somebody bids on providing this service, get an exclusive contract, and makes a profit whether the service is satisfactory or not. Wish I could suggest a good alternative to you and others but to make reservations in federal campgrounds, this is the system. It may be a moot question. The new administration has put out a hiring freeze and the seasonal employees that serve the parks, forests, etc. are sitting at home waiting to see if they get a call this year. Some services may be a defacto shut down this year for lack of people to run the campgrounds and such.
Call your congressperson if that is not satisfactory to you.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
One of the things I like about this forum is the severe lack of what I call political speak. What the current president has frozen has nothing to do with this issue. Now if I tell you what I think of the federal bureaucracy, I will be delving into what I don't want to see this forum delve into.... Get my point?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
I have Ad blocker plus added to my browser. This prevents these kind of things happening. When using either Recreation.gov or reserveamerica you have to watch carefully for the automatically checked boxes. This even if you have an add in like Ad blocker plus.

Reserveamerica has been running the recreation.gov site for several years now and the OP's general comments have showed up on many RV forums over the years.

As with any service contract read the fine print or in this case those boxes which are either checked or not checked.

And yes this a prime example why privatization of some government services should not be allowed.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #6642
Are you sure you got this from Recreation.gov

Recreation.gov does not subscribe to Active Network's Active Advantage program for the very reasons you have brought up here.

My guess is this is from a reservation made on ReserveAemerica.com.

Yes, I am from Rec.gov and we agree that this is bad business and do not allow it on our site. If you DID have this happen after making a reservation for a federal site, write back. I just tested it and it was clean but we don't want people thinking we endorse this either. Thanks
Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
My bad, it was ReserveAmerica not Recreation.gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerr View Post
Recreation.gov does not subscribe to Active Network's Active Advantage program for the very reasons you have brought up here.

My guess is this is from a reservation made on ReserveAemerica.com.

Yes, I am from Rec.gov and we agree that this is bad business and do not allow it on our site. If you DID have this happen after making a reservation for a federal site, write back. I just tested it and it was clean but we don't want people thinking we endorse this either. Thanks
You're right, my bad! I went back and looked at the email threads and I was booking a couple of state parks in Florida when the first email from Active Advantage came in saying my FREE membership trial period had begun. The email from them actually came in 5 min before the ReserveAmerica confirmation email for my reservation. Sorry to trash Recreation.gov over this. I just assumed it was the site because the same software company that hosts Active Advantage hosts Recreation.gov. Thanks clarifying. I'll not use ReserveAmerica again... but happy to keep using Recreation.gov.