Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Water heater bypass

I have a Miramar 35.2. The hot water bypass valve is located in the wet bay. Is that the only bypass? Or should I be looking for a couple of valves behind the water heater itself?

Old 12-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I do not have a Miramar, but I beleive its almost standard to have valves behind the hot water heater. My ACE has three valves behind the heater to devert the water for winterizing.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #3

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
I have a 2015 34.2 and as fair as I know the only one is in the wet bay. Not sure why you would need another.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabotski View Post
I have a 2015 34.2 and as fair as I know the only one is in the wet bay. Not sure why you would need another.

I don’t need any more. This my first time winterizing and everything I read talks to bypass valves behind the hot water heater. During my walkthrough last year they only mentioned the valve in the wet bay. I was trying to confirm. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
As the name implies, these valves by pass the water heater so that when you winterize you don't fill your water heater with 6 gallons of RV anti freeze. There should be 3 valves very close to the water heater. One valve will close off the cold water input to the water heater, another valve will cutoff hot water output from the water heater.

The third valve is on the water line that connects the water heater cold water inlet and hot water supply line. This is the bypass valve. When closed (normal operating position) cold water enters the water heater and hot water exits the heater into the hot water supply line. When open (winterizing position) and the other two valves are closed, the antifreeze will be syphoned up through the water pump and enter the cold water supply lines. It will then flow through this water heater bypass valve and flow into the hot water lines (bypassing the water heater). In this way there is antifreeze in all your plumbing.

You also need to be sure that you removed the plug from the bottom of the water heater and drained the water from the water heater tank.

Attached drawing is a schematic of the three valves and how the systems should be configured for normal operation and for winterizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass 2.jpg
Views:	15368
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	8396  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
As the name implies, these valves by pass the water heater so that when you winterize you don't fill your water heater with 6 gallons of RV anti freeze. There should be 3 valves very close to the water heater. One valve will close off the cold water input to the water heater, another valve will cutoff hot water output from the water heater.

The third valve is on the water line that connects the water heater cold water inlet and hot water supply line. This is the bypass valve. When closed (normal operating position) cold water enters the water heater and hot water exits the heater into the hot water supply line. When open (winterizing position) and the other two valves are closed, the antifreeze will be syphoned up through the water pump and enter the cold water supply lines. It will then flow through this water heater bypass valve and flow into the hot water lines (bypassing the water heater). In this way there is antifreeze in all your plumbing.

You also need to be sure that you removed the plug from the bottom of the water heater and drained the water from the water heater tank.

Attached drawing is a schematic of the three valves and how the systems should be configured for normal operation and for winterizing.

As my question states, on a Miramar is the water heater bypass the only valve?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Depends on what the real question is. If the question is how many valves must be operated to winterize, then the answer is 3 (Cold water intake valve to water heater, hot water output valve from water heater, and the water heater bypass valve.

If the question is how many water heater bypass valves are there then the answer is 1 -- the water heater bypass valve.

It is just that the water heater tank is NOT bypassed simply by opening the water heater bypass valve. To bypass the water heater tank the cold water input and hot water output valves must be closed and the water heater bypass valve opened.

When de-winterizing the three valves must be reversed -- water heater bypass closed, cold water input and hot water output opened. And when using for the first time after de-winterizing be sure water has filled the hot water heater tank before turning on the hot water heater or you'll damage the heater element.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Except that some water heaters only do have one valve to turn instead of the more common 3. But I think they always are very close behind the water heater itself.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Except that some water heaters only do have one valve to turn instead of the more common 3. But I think they always are very close behind the water heater itself.
I had to learn this for the first time this winter, too. The valves on my ACE 30.3 are on the back side of the water heater, look just like the drawings above, and are accessed by removing the drawers below the bedroom tv.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #10

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I had to learn this for the first time this winter, too. The valves on my ACE 30.3 are on the back side of the water heater, look just like the drawings above, and are accessed by removing the drawers below the bedroom tv.
Sorry, Pete'sRV, that should have been a reply to bevedfelker instead of you. I hit the wrong button. I'll just chalk it up to old age.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #11

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Sorry, Pete'sRV, that should have been a reply to bevedfelker instead of you. I hit the wrong button. I'll just chalk it up to old age.
I give up. Still got your username wrong.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #12

State: West Virginia
THOR #1181
I have a MirMar 34.2, and I have a second by pass vale in the washer dryer area it is to the left of the door on the front floor, there is a cover over it.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiavb View Post
I have a Miramar 35.2. The hot water bypass valve is located in the wet bay. Is that the only bypass? Or should I be looking for a couple of valves behind the water heater itself?
I have a 34.4 Miramar and the only valve I concern myself with is the wet bay bypass. However, I do not winterize with antifreeze. I use air and blow out all lines. I first drain all lines from low point drains while under air pressure and remove water filter. Then remove hot water heater plug (and leave out) and force all the water from heater and lines with pressure. I then switch the bypass valve and by turning on one faucet at a time push all the water from the other lines. The last item I winterize is the ice maker which I do by dropping the arm to make ice. I let it run through several cycles until the last ice it makes is a sliver. That's it. Don't forget the shower, toilet and outside kitchen for low point drains and faucets. I also leave all faucets open about half way and finally I add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to the drains and toilet, again not forgetting the show and outside sink.

I know you didn't ask about this but thought it might be helpful. It makes it so much easier to start up in the spring. A side note...I write down each step I used to winterize so I don't forget to do reverse to operate in the spring...such as replace filter, reinstall hot water plug, close low point drains, etc.

Enjoy the winter!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #14

THOR #6291
Water heater bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I have a 34.4 Miramar and the only valve I concern myself with is the wet bay bypass. However, I do not winterize with antifreeze. I use air and blow out all lines. I first drain all lines from low point drains while under air pressure and remove water filter. Then remove hot water heater plug (and leave out) and force all the water from heater and lines with pressure. I then switch the bypass valve and by turning on one faucet at a time push all the water from the other lines. The last item I winterize is the ice maker which I do by dropping the arm to make ice. I let it run through several cycles until the last ice it makes is a sliver. That's it. Don't forget the shower, toilet and outside kitchen for low point drains and faucets. I also leave all faucets open about half way and finally I add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to the drains and toilet, again not forgetting the show and outside sink.

I know you didn't ask about this but thought it might be helpful. It makes it so much easier to start up in the spring. A side note...I write down each step I used to winterize so I don't forget to do reverse to operate in the spring...such as replace filter, reinstall hot water plug, close low point drains, etc.

Enjoy the winter!

Miramar Owner.....Thank you. I did not add antifreeze either. I live in New Orleans and the cold snap we’re having is quite rare. I normally just blow out the lines doing exactly what you say with a few exceptions. But I considered using antifreeze throughout due to the very low (for this area) temperatures. Hence the question about the bypass valves.
I did put the hot water heater plug back in after draining.
I wasn’t sure what to do about the ice maker. Without water pressure to push the water through I wasn’t sure if the ice maker would cycle.
One thing I did notice is the inlet water valve has to be set to “city fixtures” to allow air through the system. I also ran the water pump a few minutes to clear any water in those lines.
Thank you again for your response.