Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Water issues - Thor Quantum 31

We are first-time RV owners - 2017 Thor Quantum PD31. Before taking it for our first shakedown camp experience, we decided to dry-run the various systems at our home. Several items surfaced, but three in particular that are all water-related. I have read the manuals, but find nothing of help. We are scheduled to leave Wednesday on the shakedown cruise - just want to make certain we do not cause any damage.

First issue: city water supply system. We sanitized the potable tank and system per directions, and it went smoothly. With the potable tank full (40 gals), I connected a hose to the city water supply (located on driver side of the rig), and soon noticed water dripping on the opposite sidewall (passenger side) near the potable fill port. I saw no leaks under the rig, but when I unscrewed the potable fill cap, water gushed back out as though the tank were terribly overfilled. An RV friend said that is not normal - there should be an overflow to drain excess under the rig. And, regardless, why should the potable tank overfill when the city supply is connected?

Second issue: I attached a hose to the water intake port inside the black/gray tank area, to add water and practice flushing the black tank - first time doing this, so wanted to practice (tank had never been used). As water was filling the black tank, I noticed water dripping on the opposite wide of the rig .... water actually found its way into a lower storage compartment not far from the potable water fill port. After detaching the hose, the leaking stopped.

Third issue: We turned on the icemaker and ran for 24 hours - we have the residential unit that runs on 110 or generator. Temps were good. We then turned on the icemaker, but even after 12 hours, there was no water in the ice cube filler bowl to make ice.

Not knowing much about these things, I wonder if they could be connected in some way, or if I am simply ignorant of how to do these functions properly.

I sent an email to the service manager at the RV dealership where we bought the rig - today is Sunday, so no one is on the phones. Hope to hear from him quickly as we already have reservations for Wed and Thu night and would like to have probems resolved.

Thank you, forum, for whatever insight you can share.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Ice maker...my guess is the water is turned off to it. Should be located somewhere close to fridge near the floor through an access panel.

As for the other issues I am confused. Screwing a water hose onto the inlet on the RV can be to either fill the fresh water tank or simply to feed your water lines inside your coach, depending on your set up. Water coming out around the fresh water tank or the fresh water fill can be normal when the tank is overfilled. I think to give you a better answer I would need some clarification as to were you filling the tank by screwing the house on to an inlet or sticking the hose into a potable water inlet.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

THOR #6671
The city water service screws into the input port on the driver side of the unit. The potable fill tube (no threaded screw) is on the opposite passenger side.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
On my Miramar, with the turn of a valve, I can either fill my water tank or use city water to feed my coach directly. If yours is set up this way, if you are feeding the coach directly that would have nothing to do with water leaking around the gravity fill for potable water or your blank tank flush. If, however, you are using that hose connection to fill your fresh water (potable) tank you could have water coming out of the vent or overflow, both of which are okay. I may sound like I'm belaboring this point but on my RV the controller was plumbed backwards. When I thought I had it on City water nothing came out of my faucets although I could still hear water running because it was filling the tank. I simply changed the label on the panel and switched the valve to the other side...problem solved.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

THOR #6671
No one told me anything about a control valve, but it is entirely possible there is one. At least I know the question to ask. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

Model: Quantum PD31
State: Florida
THOR #7151
Thumbs up Water Issues

HI There...we own PD31 too. Our fridge had it's water turns off. The valve is behind the bottom drawer in the stack of drawers to the right side next to the fridge. We also had water leak out of the bathroom floor and in an outside storage area on the passenger side near the bathroom. We took it in for Dealer to look into and it turns out there was debris in the vent for the bathroom and was causing the water leak when we tried to flush the black tank. Also they made sure we knew to ALWAYS have a pressure regulator on the hose to flush the black tank or it could cause vent pipe damage and cause the leaking. Warranty repaired this for us. I suggest taking to dealer to have the black tank flush piece fixed and have hem also look at the water inlet issue you are experiencing. Even with some issues on out PD31 we love the RV. Can't use it enough.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

THOR #6671
I appreciate your feedback very much. As it happens, our coach is at the dealer as we speak, and we are scheduled to pick it up later today. I forwarded your response to our service manager, and then spoke with him by phone. He also is appreciative and said he would talk with the tech who worked on our coach to make certain the issue was addressed as you suggested. Love this forum! (PS: We also love our PD31).
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Model: Quantum PD31
State: Florida
THOR #7151
great

Gladthe info was helpful. It's good to know now someone else with the same model.