Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #61
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you have an escape plan for when the garage collapses on top of it?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you have an escape plan for when the garage collapses on top of it?
Yeah, all garage type storm shelters are registered with the police here. Think even the ones next to the house are too. And guess what? After I had it installed the tornado warnings went way down, don't know why.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #63
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think that I'd keep a small chainsaw, and a couple of 10 ton hydraulic jacks in there with me!
... Nothing ever lasts longer, than the time spent waiting for the Cavalry to arrive...
Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #64
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Yeah, all garage type storm shelters are registered with the police here. Think even the ones next to the house are too. And guess what? After I had it installed the tornado warnings went way down, don't know why.
Like around here: every time someone buys a snow blower that means no more snow for the rest of this winter.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Buy a new snowmobile, and you'll see an EPIC lack of snow for at least five years...
Old 02-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #66

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think that I'd keep a small chainsaw, and a couple of 10 ton hydraulic jacks in there with me!
... Nothing ever lasts longer, than the time spent waiting for the Cavalry to arrive...
Oh, they have a tool I forget the name of it that will pull it open. The sliding top has some holes in it to let air in. Living in OK and you learn either to buy a brick house with storm windows, head for a friend's storm shelter if he's still your friend... or pray. We have had strong wind come down the main street here one time and made a 2 story hotel into a one story and put a lot of sheds in the pastures. Trees are your friend, the more the better.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Trees are your friend, the more the better."

Yes they are: Mother Nature's natural wind-breaks!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #68

Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
I travel with the fresh water tank full or mostly full. And the waste tanks empty or most empty. But remember, as you travel and the waste tanks fill, your fresh water tank should be emptying. At least until you get to you next full service camp ground.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #69

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Like most, it depends on the journey, we take less than 1/2 fresh if we are headed to a campground and waste tanks empty except for chemical activation volumes. If we are going road tripping or boondocking, we will be full with fresh, have bottled water to drink and beer to relax when we stop for the night. Each situation is different. Towing our fiver, a full tank of water made a difference in mileage, in the DP, not much impact.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: the state of your tanks should reflect your intended use...
Old 02-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #71

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I never travel with them full unless I intend to dry camp for several days wher no water is available near where I am going. Water weighs about 8.5 lbs per gal. You fill a 100 gal tank, see how much extra weight your rv has to carry around. I just carry enough to use in the toilets and cooking etc. depending on how many days we plan on being on the road. Less weight equates better fuel mileage and less strain on your rig.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #72

Model: Infinity
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12753
We keep some water in the fresh water tank to flush and hand washing when traveling.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #73

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Whenever we head head out, fresh tank full, gas full, propane never less than 1/4. When we return we replenish on way back to home base. Wife uses RV fridge for overflow so there is always food/drink that get rotated. Also carry clothes and spare meds. Even keep 30 gallons of water in containers in case we lose well pump at house or need to take extra water for extended trips.

Weight no issue, fresh tank is above rear axle. From scale, I need to keep any extra weight on top or behind rear axle if possible. Adding trailer helps but no trailer is too close to max on front.

Gas mileage is within maybe 1/4 MPG at most, generator has bigger impact than trailer.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #74

Model: Fourwind Super C
State: Florida
THOR #11938
I keep about a 1/3 full of water in my fresh tanks, for travel and empty black & gray, but I do run some clean water in the black and gray after emptying to splash around and "rinse and keep wet" also keep enough water in bottom of toilets to keep seals wet while traveling and/or storage
Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #75

Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
THOR #2580
I run most of the time a full tank, I find it adds stability to the RV especially when its windier on the road.
Haven't really notice any difference in gas mileage and I'm not really worried about that when traveling.
I know many have their preferences however you have to figure out what works for you.
I'm simply about stability and a comfortable ride.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Hmmm... Lowering the center of gravity, for better handling::

Brilliant!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #77

State: California
THOR #13807
Only if needed.

The amount of fresh water you would need depends on where you're going and if you'll have access to water. If you're going to a camp ground where you have access to fresh water, then I'd only fill the fresh water tank about 1/4 full. Just enough to take care of my bathroom needs. If you're dry docking, then fill it up!!
Old 03-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #78

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #11007
When traveling, I have noticed that a full water tank does add some stability to the rig's handling. I'm sure that extra weight does have an impact on MPG, but appears negligible. As many others have stated; the amount you "need" depends on your destination and lifestyle; while also accounting for the unexpected.

Question for those who prefer "1/3 to 1/2" full on fresh tank. Anyone know manufacturer recommendations? It seems to me that level would slosh around a lot on the road; unless you're on a long flat straight-away. That has to create a lot of stress on the tank as well as it's mounting mechanisms.

Anyone run into problems possibly due to that?

"Inquiring minds......."
Old 03-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #79

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
When traveling, I have noticed that a full water tank does add some stability to the rig's handling. I'm sure that extra weight does have an impact on MPG, but appears negligible. As many others have stated; the amount you "need" depends on your destination and lifestyle; while also accounting for the unexpected.

Question for those who prefer "1/3 to 1/2" full on fresh tank. Anyone know manufacturer recommendations? It seems to me that level would slosh around a lot on the road; unless you're on a long flat straight-away. That has to create a lot of stress on the tank as well as it's mounting mechanisms.

Anyone run into problems possibly due to that?

"Inquiring minds......."
Hi; I try to run w/mine full. As for the sloshing, I think you have a point.

As a soldiers we didn't go around w/half empty canteens on our web gear (tho that's mostly resolved w/the use of camelbak style carriers laced thru your harness or assault ruck these days, except for xtra medic needs). As a medic, I always had at least two canteens on my hips (& saline in my ruck). It got real heavy, but I never left it half full when I could avoid it.

A half full canteen can pull a soldier off balance at an inopportune moment, I've experienced that. Noise discipline is also destroyed w/sloshing water & alerts enemy combatants (hopefully never an issue in our rv's!).

If two canteens of sloshing water can make a difference to the balance of a soldier, I can easily believe that heavy sloshing water in your tank, especially on a curve or incline, might add additional stressors to balance & handling (along w/accelerating basic wear & tear).

Hopefully it's never the proverbial last straw that snaps at a real critical point, but we're warned about balancing our loads & keeping w/in weight guidelines for a reason. This seems to be a similar issue like any other weights in your rig - & you wouldn't (I hope) leave your gear unsecured to fly or roll around in your rig while travelin either!

I am so new to rv'ing (almost 3 months fultiming) that I may be totally off base, but I'm sure one (or more) of the guys w/experience under the belt will set us both straight - I hope, bc I learn lots from them & your question peaked my curiosity.

So all you guys who've kept me trackin safely so far, speak up & let us both know. Thanks as always!
Old 03-31-2019, 08:04 PM   #80

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #11007
Hooah! 11 years in Signal Corps.... "First In - Last Out". Camelbacks? Kids these days.... I was from mid-80's to mid-90's. Even the soft-side 2-quart canteen was a novelty outside of SOG units. But yes, I've experienced that "balance" issue as well.

I don't have the physics expertise to run the math; but living in hurricane country we see first hand the power of water in motion. Reflecting back on our return from Florence evacuation last September is what made me think to look up the thread and ask the question.