Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35M
State: Tennessee
THOR #14394
Water tanks

Do you travel with water in the water tanks? If so do you travel with them full? Re: weight issue?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #2

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Depends how much you need when you get there.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
I try to keep grey and black tanks empty. Carry about 1/3 tank fresh water when traveling.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Depends on what kind of trip we are doing. If it’s just a quick weekend trip I will fill them at home and the water will normally last all weekend at the campsite. If we are on a week long trip or more I will just put enough water to have to flush toilets wash some quick dishes in between campgrounds. Never really worry about the weight in the motor home get the same mileage either way. Before with our TT did the same thing but adjusted for tongue weight as the tanks were in the back next to the axles.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I always travel with fresh water full and black/gray mostly empty. Extra weight likely has minimal effect on actual fuel economy.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
For trips to campgrounds with hook ups our waste tanks are mostly empty, fresh around a third tank. Cross country or boon docking, waste tanks empty, fresh full.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:55 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Like several said, we travel with about 1/3 water, unless we know we won't have or like the water at the destination.

If we are staying at a campground more than one night, I'll usually fill the tank there. We have had the campground shut off the water for repairs more than once over the years, and were glad we had filled.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Fresh water FULL. Waste tanks Empty. LP FULL. 4 Cases bottled water. Gas Full.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhenry4u View Post
Do you travel with water in the water tanks? If so do you travel with them full? Re: weight issue?
So far, fresh water full, lp full, black & gray was travelin empty but had troublw w/the plumbing & was told letting it climb to 2/3rds between dumps might help. Can't tell if it helps yet. I'm still dealing w/flush issues - now that I have my leaks fixed (hopefully), I'll pay more attn to the other wet issue, lol
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Fresh water full, grey and black empty. However I may empty the black tank and then add several buckets full of fresh water to it with chemical so it sloshes around and cleans up the black tank while on the road. I always do that once just prior to returning home.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Water tank full all the time and cases of bottled water to drink and a Katadyn Pocket Water Filter. It's one of life's necessities. One of the greatest features of an RV is self-sustainability in an unplanned event. Coach stays pretty stocked with daily needs and has several weeks of freeze dried foods that have 30 year shelf life. I also want to know the quality of water in my tank. Many CG's have wells that are very susceptible to contamination. Every time I leave the house I look at it as if..."what if something really bad happened while we're out...how well am I prepared to deal with it and what do I have in here if nothing else is available?" The "Rules of Three" are my guiding light. Oxygen within 3 minutes, water within 3 days, food within 3 weeks...or die.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Full H2O tank out. This logic paid out when I arrived at the park and their water supply was down due to a ruptured main line. That meant no park lavatory water either. When it did come back on there was a boil until further notice. Even though I filter the park water I stayed self contained for the entire four days.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lug View Post
Full H2O tank out. This logic paid out when I arrived at the park and their water supply was down due to a ruptured main line. That meant no park lavatory water either. When it did come back on there was a boil until further notice. Even though I filter the park water I stayed self contained for the entire four days.

BOOM...Case & Point. If you're not prepared for IT...IT will be prepared for you!!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I travel with the tanks dry... filling the freshwater tank has never been an issue, and I figure to be doing a masterful job of filling the gray and blackwater tanks on my own...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #15

THOR #11130
I paid $.50 per gallon at marina in the BVI to refill potable tank on a 50' Trader Yacht...330 gallons. When there is no water...you will pay any price. The option is at the end of your hose.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For that price: I might have considered a test of my ability to drink saltwater...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
like most others....I generally start a trip with full fresh and empty waste.

Since we don't tow a car I'll often not even bother to hook up to the CG's water so it's faster to unplug and drive to town or whatever....

I don't think the water weight effects MPG significantly, but I do have concerns about my already at limit or over rear axle weight...a flaw in the design of my rig...and I suppose any of the larger C's that are not "super"
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #18

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
For trips to campgrounds with hook ups our waste tanks are mostly empty, fresh around a third tank. Cross country or boon docking, waste tanks empty, fresh full.
Good instructions. I do about the same more or less. Wait a
Minute, if it's a long trip I take some beer for the fridge.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #19

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Unless you have no intention of using your restroom or washing your hands while traveling, you wouldn't want to go with an empty fresh water tank. Like others have said, a lot depends on the type trip you're taking. If you plan to boondock or dry camp, then you'll want a full tank. If you know you're stopping where water hookup is available, then, IMO, there's no sense hauling all the additional weight of a full fresh tank, so 1/4 to 1/2 tank is OK. As to the black and gray water tanks, we always try to dump them when we leave a campground. That said, it those tanks are only 1/4th to 1/2 full, and we're going to be on the road and between campgrounds, I won't dump until they are closer to being full.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Water tank full all the time and cases of bottled water to drink and a Katadyn Pocket Water Filter. It's one of life's necessities. One of the greatest features of an RV is self-sustainability in an unplanned event. Coach stays pretty stocked with daily needs and has several weeks of freeze dried foods that have 30 year shelf life. I also want to know the quality of water in my tank. Many CG's have wells that are very susceptible to contamination. Every time I leave the house I look at it as if..."what if something really bad happened while we're out...how well am I prepared to deal with it and what do I have in here if nothing else is available?" The "Rules of Three" are my guiding light. Oxygen within 3 minutes, water within 3 days, food within 3 weeks...or die.
I think about the same kinds of issues. I love my katadyn pocket water filter! I have the ubiquitous life straws, too. I keep fresh bottled water on board & I also put a filter on my fresh water line that attaches at CGs (no idea if it works - so I still filter in the rig). I believe in redundancies. I keep good array of medic & primal gear on me for edc, in mini go bags, 72hr bobs & larger vehicle bobs. I'm rethinking how to parcel it up now that I'm in my rig. Oh, & Radar has his own bob in his harness bags for when we are out and about...