Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #13332
Question We need help please with 2014 Thor Challenger

We are new to this life style and so far its not going so good. We sold our farm and bought a 2014 Thor Challenger Sept 14, 2018. Today we can't get large slide to work. Trying to get it to go out. Small slide works. Also can't get leveling jacks in front to go up or leveling jacks in back to go down. Everything worked fine when we bought it. We are staying right now in our sons driveway in Yoder, In. Can someone help us please to figure this out. We called Thor customer service and they couldn't find Vin number which we gave them so couldn't help us and also called LCI who told us to call Thor. Thinking it might be fuse or breaker but everything we have found is working. This is becoming a nightmare as have worked on this all day yesterday. Slide out worked fine until we tried to reset LCI panel for Jacks. Really hope someone can help us. Being in our mid 70s and trying something new isn't helping. Thank you:

Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driley43 View Post
We are new to this life style and so far its not going so good. We sold our farm and bought a 2014 Thor Challenger Sept 14, 2018. Today we can't get large slide to work. Trying to get it to go out. Small slide works. Also can't get leveling jacks in front to go up or leveling jacks in back to go down. Everything worked fine when we bought it. We are staying right now in our sons driveway in Yoder, In. Can someone help us please to figure this out. We called Thor customer service and they couldn't find Vin number which we gave them so couldn't help us and also called LCI who told us to call Thor. Thinking it might be fuse or breaker but everything we have found is working. This is becoming a nightmare as have worked on this all day yesterday. Slide out worked fine until we tried to reset LCI panel for Jacks. Really hope someone can help us. Being in our mid 70s and trying something new isn't helping. Thank you:
Have you tried to do a search on this site or there probably are Utube videos for both problems. We have had to pull the slide fuse when it wouldn't work. If you hear the slide motor start and stop it needs to be resinc.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #3

THOR #13332
We have someone here now that said all fuses are ok and thinks its the invertor. We can't even get the jacks in front up to take it anywhere. Seems strange that slide would go the same time as we were recalibrating the jacks.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

THOR #13332
Where would the slide fuse be? Motor doesn't start at all for slide.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Indiana
THOR #8714
Here’s something to try for the slide. When my slide failed, a local tech suggested I find the controller module (mine was located on the basement ceiling beneath the slide), completely disconnect and reconnect each wire plugged in to it, and try to extend/retract again. It worked! Seems moisture had corroded the contacts over time. His suggestion was a simple fix that re-established a lost electrical connection. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like you’ve tripped a Main Bus Fuse, usually 100amp size, and probably located in your battery bay, maybe on the wall - if a little yellow ‘flag’ is showing, push it back in...

it’s certainly NOT your inverter...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
If your large slide starts to move but then stalls, the motors are out of timing/sync. to fix it, start out pushing the retract button/control, then push extend until slide goes out 1-2", then Retract fully closed again.
Repeat this process ~6 times and then see if it will fully extend without stalling.
If this works, another important step to keep the motors in sync, is to hold the extend or retract function for a good 3 seconds after fully extended or closed.
There is a similar process if your slide won't fully extend evenly, but the fully closed cycling worked for me when the fully opened cycling did not.

Assuming your issue with the LCI leveling system is just a communication/sync issue, you can use the process described in the following link to override the sensors that are keeping you from Manually operating the jacks.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...010002127_.pdf

Good luck, and I hope this information helps and was relevant.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #8

THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driley43 View Post
Where would the slide fuse be? Motor doesn't start at all for slide.
Our fuse is on the fuse panel. Husband took it out to check, but after it was pushed back it the slide worked. Happened to us 3 times.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds like you’ve tripped a Main Bus Fuse, usually 100amp size, and probably located in your battery bay, maybe on the wall - if a little yellow ‘flag’ is showing, push it back in...

We would agree it is not the inverter. Especially if you are on shore power to your son's house. Also be sure the engine is running and emergency break is set before running the jacks.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Are you trying to level or extend slide on battery power only? Or are you hooked up to shore power?

Try shore power (15 or 30/50 amp) this will help boost the power output to the jack/slide.

Or you might try and run the engine while trying to extend either so see if that helps boost the power.

Just a thought. It might not help but I always keeps this stuff in mind on my RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
Engine should be running and embarked on to put the jacks up or down. Engine needs to be off to extend or retract the slides.

Generator can be on and running for either operation. Can be plugged into shore powe for either operation.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Engine should be running and embarked on to put the jacks up or down. Engine needs to be off to extend or retract the slides.

Generator can be on and running for either operation. Can be plugged into shore powe for either operation.
What he said. LOL.

I forgot about the saftey cut off for the slide and the engine running. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #13

THOR #3186
Being 75 I figured that was most likely your problem. I have lots of experience.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

May also be a RED flag.

What does your leveling control panel show?

Can you take/post pictures? If so show us your leveling control panel and the side of the slide that is not working. Once we know what you have suggestions will be more relevant.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #15

THOR #13332
I would like to thank everyone for their help. We have found the breaker finally. It was tripped. We have learned a lot from all your suggestions. Thank you again.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #4602
Where was the breaker located?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I’m sure it was the Main Buss fuse, not a breaker
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #18

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
Welcome to RVing.... you’ll learn a lot. Much of which you really didn’t want to know. Have fun on your journeys. You now have your first of many RV stories to share with you camp mates
Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Welcome to RVing.... you’ll learn a lot. Much of which you really didn’t want to know. Have fun on your journeys. You now have your first of many RV stories to share with you camp mates
Welcome to the club! Never hesitate to ask questions here! As someone has most likely experienced the same problem/condition.
When we had our 5th wheel I searched for two days, got under the camper with a mechanic creeper to find the dump valve handle for the Galley tank. A member here messaged me his phone number so he could talk me through finding it, even though the dealership PDI guy said we didn't have a galley tank.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #20

THOR #9146
Angry Tire issues. 2016 Thor Fourwinds 31 L

Anyone out their have flat tire problems?
I have experience 2 flats in a 2 month time frame ..... one blowout on Mischilan tire which ripped the valve and “ruined” the other “dual” tire. Bought 2 new Goodyear’s from the road assist guy, sent by the Good Sam folks. 2 months later the Goodyear outside tire went flat while driving down the highway; have not been able to determine why on either flat. Can only guess that the blowout was caused by overinflaion and the flat by a bad valve core. Questions:
Do I have any recourse for reimbursement from Mischilan or the roadsides guy or the 2 month old Goodyear?
If so where do I start and who do I contact?
Where should I take this flat Goodyear to have it checked out; Ford dealer or Goodyear tire store?
Does running a tire on low or no air damage the tire.... don’t know how far I went on the Goodyear till I realized it was flat?
What could possibly cause this problem and is this a common problem?

It should be stated that I have been diligent about checking tire pressure.... although I’m not sure about the accuracy of the gauge in the case of the Mischilan. Recently purchased a new gauge for my air compressor.