Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #7814
Which would you choose vegas 27.7 or hurricane 29M

I currently own a Vegas 24.1 and am considering moving up in size for more room and bigger bathroom. Actually love our 24.1, but if they could keep the floorplans and stretch the length to provide a bigger bathroom ( shower ) it would be ideal

Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I just looked at a 27.7 at our local RV show. If you want to haul all of the stuff that you have in that back storage in the 24.1 then don't get a 27.7. A 27.7 doesn't have nearly the outside storage that a 24.1 has.

I really liked the inside of the 27.7 but the lack of outside storage would be a deal breaker for us.

Also note that the Hurricane 29M will be a jump from the E-Series chassis to an F-53--a significant size jump.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Hurricanes:
The long slide unit on the 29M scares me...

How about the 31S?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
We made the move from a Axis 25.2 to the Hurricane 29M last November. Even though we have only taken one extended trip to date, we are very happy with the move. We have gained more counter space, double sink, larger wardrobe, king size bed, dinette, 50 amp electrical system, larger tanks, more interior room, better fit and trim, better bathroom (except shower), tighter windows, easier to heat, auto leveling, larger basement with better pass thru and better doors and latches and last but not lease a better placed and larger emergency egress window.

We have given up better gas mileage, larger shower, better acceleration, excellent handling after up grades (I am certainly working on handling up grades for the Hurricane), smaller foot print, less expensive repairs, parts, and tires and the inexplainable joy of owning a Vegas or Axis. Oh, and a little more of our kids inheritance.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV24.1 View Post
I currently own a Vegas 24.1 and am considering moving up in size for more room and bigger bathroom. Actually love our 24.1, but if they could keep the floorplans and stretch the length to provide a bigger bathroom ( shower ) it would be ideal
Yeah, we loved the 24.1 but could not compromise on that shower. Major reason we went with our ACE. We compromised on the large enclosed bathroom to get a decent shower. Still have the king bed and the only other compromise was the L-sofa; but that will be remedied soon.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
There is also the Windsport 27B which is the same floor plan as the 27.7 but on the f53 chassis

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

THOR #5326
There is also the Windsport/Hurricane 27B which is the same floor plan as the 27.7 but on the f53 chassis

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 02-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

THOR #7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hurricanes:

How about the 31S?

The 31S is a nice layout, but something I look at first when looking at RV’s are the dimensions and capacities. I don’t understand how the bigger rigs can have such small holding capacities, especially the black tank. My wife and I go to several events each year and dry camp for several days with no extra facilities provided. A 24.5 gallon black tank is cutting things real close. I know the bathroom sink and shower drain into our black tank on the Vegas 24.1. It has a 30 gallon black tank.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #9

THOR #7814
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	8983
Old 02-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV24.1 View Post

A motorhome about 20 years ago already had that basic layout with a large bathroom. Actually, quite a few manufacturers had similar floorplans.

I even like details like orienting the bathroom so that the shower is towards the front of vehicle, so that when bathroom door is opened to expand bath size the refrigerator doesn't end up inside bathroom. Those are the kinds of details (or lack thereof) that drive me nuts when reviewing "modern" RVs. With modern design tools, why can't they do better? It doesn't make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6096.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	8984  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
I drove our Axis to Elkhart to trade it in on the Hurricane 34J. There was a fresh 6 inches of snow in Kalamazoo and Elkhart had 8". The Axis drove amazing in the snow. We never did anything to the suspension of our axis. In the year we owned it, every time I started down the road I would say,"man I love driving this thing". Big rigs were never a problem in either direction. When one would pass and cut in, there was a little wobble until he gained some distance. Having only driven the Hurricane about 100 miles, safe to say, I've lost that loving feeling.
When we decided to go bigger, we considered that fact that we haven't been driving as much and staying longer each stop. So we decided to go bigger.
If you are putting a lot of miles on the coach, in my opinion the Axis was the best driving motorhome we have owned. Something to consider.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hurricanes:

How about the 31S?
The slide on the 34J scares me too. I always said I would not have a kitchen slide. I'm only half of the decision making process.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
The slide on the 34J scares me too. I always said I would not have a kitchen slide. I'm only half of the decision making process.
...And none of us are the bosses!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Went to our local RV show today and was walking around in a few Thor's with the full wall slide. One salesman overheard me say to the wife "those full wall slides scare me, lots of problems".

For the next 10 minutes or so we were cornered and had to listen about how the 3-traxx system solved all the problems with the full wall slides, and now the biggest issues they have with them are people operating them with low batteries (he said they recommended running the generator while moving the slide--hmm if you have to run the genny to move the slide then the slide is too big! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 AM   #15

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Have the full wall slide... not a problem at all. Gives great room inside with the push of a button. People with problems, more than likely do not really know how to operate it correctly. Love ours.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:25 AM   #16

THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A motorhome about 20 years ago already had that basic layout with a large bathroom. Actually, quite a few manufacturers had similar floorplans.

I even like details like orienting the bathroom so that the shower is towards the front of vehicle, so that when bathroom door is opened to expand bath size the refrigerator doesn't end up inside bathroom. Those are the kinds of details (or lack thereof) that drive me nuts when reviewing "modern" RVs. With modern design tools, why can't they do better? It doesn't make sense.
Chance just give it up your not going to get it lol

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 02-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #17

THOR #7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
I drove our Axis to Elkhart to trade it in on the Hurricane 34J. There was a fresh 6 inches of snow in Kalamazoo and Elkhart had 8". The Axis drove amazing in the snow. We never did anything to the suspension of our axis. In the year we owned it, every time I started down the road I would say,"man I love driving this thing". Big rigs were never a problem in either direction. When one would pass and cut in, there was a little wobble until he gained some distance. Having only driven the Hurricane about 100 miles, safe to say, I've lost that loving feeling.

When we decided to go bigger, we considered that fact that we haven't been driving as much and staying longer each stop. So we decided to go bigger.

If you are putting a lot of miles on the coach, in my opinion the Axis was the best driving motorhome we have owned. Something to consider.

I put a Safety Steer stabilizer up front, plus a Blue Ox sway bar and trac bar on the rear. Steady as can be. Used to get a heavy push when passed by semi’s. These improvements completely eliminated roll and wag. E-450 chassis towing Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #18
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Missing Those Old Champion Motorhomes.....
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Went to our local RV show today and was walking around in a few Thor's with the full wall slide. One salesman overheard me say to the wife "those full wall slides scare me, lots of problems".

For the next 10 minutes or so we were cornered and had to listen about how the 3-traxx system solved all the problems with the full wall slides, and now the biggest issues they have with them are people operating them with low batteries (he said they recommended running the generator while moving the slide--hmm if you have to run the genny to move the slide then the slide is too big! LOL).

We have a full wall slide and like it a lot although time will tell, I’m sure. We heard all of the sales pitches and on thinking about it decided there were a couple of positives. One is that we only have ONE slide which means fewer of them to fail. To get the same utility we’d otherwise need two or even three slides. Two is that the slide doesn’t extend as far. My previous machine had a bedroom slide that extended about 30 inches. This one only extends about 18. I presume the physics get more complicated with a longer extension. Third, they’ve been making full wall slides for a while now and, hopefully, have got the hang of it. Love the clean open feel it gives the coach. As I said, time will tell.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:13 AM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
Chance just give it up your not going to get it lol
Very true.

Particularly since I'm not going to buy a 20-year-old anything to get a floorplan I like. The floorplan I copied above is from a 1997 Southwind the size of an Axis or Vegas, before some guy reinvented the wheel and called it a RUV.