Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Well, SOMEBODY'S Buying Thors!

Bought our '17 ACE 29.3 just a few weeks ago from our local Camping World. (And no, it wasn't an unpleasant experience - quite the contrary.) This morning's email included one from CW with an offer to buy it back. 'Course, it's nowhere near what we paid, by about 30%, but given all the bad press Thor gets it's kinda comforting to know.

Mickey

Old 03-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Hey Mickey, it’s really great to hear someone say something positive!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

THOR #14508
Yeah, LC, my glass is mostly half-full.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I just received an email last night from CW. In about 3 weeks it will be my 2 year anniversery with my Axis. They offered me a low ball price for my RV but it said "at least" this amount. So they want to bait you on the lot in hopes your ready to trade up and perhaps offer you a little more for the old RV to seal the deal.

No thanks.... Took me almost 2 years to straighten all of the factory stuff out and add all the extras I wanted. Not going to do that again any time soon If I can help it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Took me almost 2 years to straighten all of the factory stuff out and add all the extras I wanted. Not going to do that again any time soon If I can help it.
My wife and I watched "Extreme RV's" the other night and between the oohing and aahing, we decided when we buy another coach it will be one that is a couple of years old.

So many nice ones available these days and the majority of miles on them were from going back and forth to the dealership Seems like a good idea to skip the depreciation and let someone else work out the bugs.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
I just received an email last night from CW. In about 3 weeks it will be my 2 year anniversery with my Axis. They offered me a low ball price for my RV but it said "at least" this amount. So they want to bait you on the lot in hopes your ready to trade up and perhaps offer you a little more for the old RV to seal the deal.

No thanks.... Took me almost 2 years to straighten all of the factory stuff out and add all the extras I wanted. Not going to do that again any time soon If I can help it.
Agree. Not too much different than the car salesman that just "happens" to contact a customer getting their car or truck serviced at the dealership. Next thing you know they are trading it in for a new vehicle. They have a huge inventory they have to move. I watched our local RV dealership when they got a big shipment of the new Winnebago Intents on the lot. A year later they were all still on the lot with the prices reduced. As I said, lots of inventory to move and it is a marketing tactic.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
We purchased our 2014 Thor Windsport 34f two years ago. Yes, it was used, in fact it had 63000 miles on it. I hate to hear all the problems people are having, but we have no complaints. The only major thing I have had to replace was the catalytic converter. It took me a while to understand the batteries, now they stay charged all the time and I am just running normal flooded batteries. I change the oil twice a year (myself). My 34f drives straight down the road, I even enjoy driving the RV now. I was a little scared at first, never driven anything that big. The one thing I always remember now is STOPPING DISTANCE (scared DW a couple times). I never talk about MPG anymore and I always use mid-grade (had bad experience once using cheap gas).

Everyone just go find a lake bank, cook some good food and enjoy your loved ones as long as you health holds out. Love my THOR!
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

THOR #14508
Marketing tactic, moving inventory - understood. So, if a dealership is so interested in moving inventory, why in the world would they want to buy another unit? Apart from another example I'll get to in a second, I have never been contacted by a dealer about buying back a purchase I made.

That other example: the wife has a '15 Toyota Highlander. Both the dealership from which we purchased it, and the one where we live now have repeatedly contacted her with offers to buy it. The Highlander is in huge demand, and they know they can sell it.

Which brings me to the point I was trying to make. I have no intention of letting the 29.3 go; I only take comfort in knowing that it appears to be in demand enough that CW wants more of them to sell.

So, call me Pollyanna, but I feel much better about our purchase!
Old 03-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
... it's kinda comforting to know. ...
I find it disturbing! Those sucker bait emails, fliers and phone calls in the first few years of any vehicle purchase these days, is like frantic piranhas trying to get at your $. I simply find no comfort in that!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Yep, those "buy back" emails from Camping World are going around.... we received one this morning; shortly after the first anniversary of the 2015 unit we bought last year. Not only a low-ball offer - but $15K less than payoff amount.

Color me unsurprised - and uninterested.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #11
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
My wife and I watched "Extreme RV's" the other night and between the oohing and aahing
I assume you are referring to "WOW." It is hard to watch after the 103rd "wow" exclamation.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's always good to hear stories of folks who are happy, and enjoying their rigs...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
They aren't buying anything back from anyone, just trying to sell new coaches. Car dealers do this all the time.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Bought our '17 ACE 29.3 just a few weeks ago from our local Camping World. (And no, it wasn't an unpleasant experience - quite the contrary.) This morning's email included one from CW with an offer to buy it back. 'Course, it's nowhere near what we paid, by about 30%, but given all the bad press Thor gets it's kinda comforting to know.

Mickey
I got the same letter offering to buy my 2017 ACE 30.1. Offer was more than $40K less than what we paid for it and they claimed that it was a top dollar offer.. We’ve put another $5K in improvements. Not likely to take them up on their “generous” offer.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You really can't blame them for trying. to pick up a few bargains; can you?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #16

THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You really can't blame them for trying. to pick up a few bargains; can you?

No, and like I said, if they didn't think/know it would sell they wouldn't bother. And that would have to reflect demand, which is very encouraging. Of course they low-balled the offer!

And that's the only reason I posted this - that there is demand for the coach that we bought. I also said we have no intention of letting it go now. Unless it would go for more than we paid for it...
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We get those letters from the car dealer all the time "we need your car, top $$".

Don't get many/any for the RV however.

Whenever we think about "trading up" I always think "it took us 3-4 years just to get it where we like it, I don't want to start over".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:27 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #12170
They may be looking for those who have buyers remorse because they aren't using it. So, they make an offer someone is willing to go for just to get rid of it.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:44 AM   #19

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
They may be looking for those who have buyers remorse because they aren't using it. So, they make an offer someone is willing to go for just to get rid of it.
Exactly.

But they may not "Buy back" unless you purchase a NEW RV at the same time.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #12170
Quote:
Exactly.

But they may not "Buy back" unless you purchase a NEW RV at the same time.
Good point.