Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Whats your home state?

We are thinking about pulling the plug on Illinois and going full time. When we do or if we do, what do you claim as home state? Illinois is raising property and income tax and it is a disaster. The problem the grandkids are here so convincing DW may be hard.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I'd recommend you join a couple of the full-timing groups on facebook for awhile. They have a wealth of knowledge related to going full-time.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
The anchor grandkids.... I totally understand, but, I admit I would miss them immediately after moving....
Old 07-04-2017, 02:27 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Yea I miss them as much as the wife, we usually leave for 3-8 weeks but need to return for grandkid fix. Illinois is such a disaster, I would like to reduce our tax burden but if you don't have brick and mortar housing I was wondering what full timers do for home state.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 AM   #5

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We are thinking about pulling the plug on Illinois and going full time. When we do or if we do, what do you claim as home state? Illinois is raising property and income tax and it is a disaster. The problem the grandkids are here so convincing DW may be hard.
We are full timers who have been residents of Colorado since 1987. However, we will be switching residency to South Dakota this month. No state income taxes, and over $1k cheaper to register our motorhome. Found a mail-forwarding service that will provide a South Dakota address, and will even take care of vehicle registrations. We will head up there in September to get our driver's licenses.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Look at states with no income tax. Property taxes are usually higher but states usually have a way of getting their money. Google: friendly states for seniors or retirees.