Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
THOR #7835
Wheel Balancing after adding valve stem extensions

I will be adding valve stem extensions to my front and read wheels. Would I need to get the wheels balanced after that? They will be metal and weigh a couple ounces.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Get balance beads installed into the tires.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Don’t worry about it. You’re talking about an ounce or two on a 100 pound wheel. Or if it really bothers you weigh them and add equivalent stick on weights on the opposite side of the wheel.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:06 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #31461
Actually, I have found that metal valve-stem-extension fittings DO affect wheel balancing, often very significantly. A previous poster says that "it's just an ounce or two", but if you think about it, so are a lot of the wheel-weights that tire shops put on your wheels to balance them. They come in half-ounce and ounce weights.

Much better to simply ask the tire shop to install longer valve-stems when they service your wheels, or look for extended-length valve stems at auto-supply stores like NAPA, CarQuest, and O'Reilly's.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:57 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Get balance beads installed into the tires.
Call me a skeptic but I do not see how adding balance beads or using Centramatic Balancers can magically correct an out of balance wheel / tire. It is all just "Snake Oil".

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:31 AM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have use both for 50 plus years

Best way for many heavier tires and wheels
Old 12-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Call me a skeptic but I do not see how adding balance beads or using Centramatic Balancers can magically correct an out of balance wheel / tire. It is all just "Snake Oil".
Just because you don't understand the system doesn't mean it's snake oil. I have used the centramatic for several years with excellent results. Previous DP had on 4 corners and now just the rear. Just the rear now because I also added Crossfire equalizer which has extensions.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:20 AM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
You can believe what ever you want. But they do work. Truckers have been using them for decades. Do yourself a favor and Google how they work. Google is a great resource to read and expand your mind. You should always read from different sources to confirm things.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Balance beads are a minor god among inventions and the laws of physics.
And
Fred's not-life-related drive-by statement is totally wrong on the level of RV wheels and tires.

Opinion never overcomes life or law.

This site is beginning to fill up with saboteurs and non-thinkers.

If you're going to go against laws of physics, state a case.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:35 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
You can believe what ever you want. But they do work. Truckers have been using them for decades. Do yourself a favor and Google how they work. Google is a great resource to read and expand your mind. You should always read from different sources to confirm things.
Most of those "reviews" you mention are from the very companies that make these things. Yes, those reports explain how they are supposed to work, but still the writers are in the business of trying to sell their products. Little more than a sales pitch that sets off my BS meter. I see lots of posts both good and bad in nearly equal measure from individual's while the bad experiences are not overwhelming there are far too many bad anecdotes for to dismiss. I have learned one thing about the balancers, that is that they do not work well to fix all balance problems. In particular they do not work to fix a balance problem where the imbalance is not evenly distributed across the width of the tire. I am still waiting for an independent Consumer Reports review.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:23 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Dan,
Consumer Reports is NOT bias free.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:17 PM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Most of those "reviews" you mention are from the very companies that make these things. Yes, those reports explain how they are supposed to work, but still the writers are in the business of trying to sell their products. Little more than a sales pitch that sets off my BS meter. I see lots of posts both good and bad in nearly equal measure from individual's while the bad experiences are not overwhelming there are far too many bad anecdotes for to dismiss. I have learned one thing about the balancers, that is that they do not work well to fix all balance problems. In particular they do not work to fix a balance problem where the imbalance is not evenly distributed across the width of the tire. I am still waiting for an independent Consumer Reports review.
Who said that they fix all balance problems? If a belt has shifted in a tire nothing is going to solve it but replacement. Not sure what you are trying to gain or accomplish by being argumentative? Hundreds of thousands of truckers must be idiots or suckers in your opinion then as they have been using balance beads for decades. I have used them in my motorcycles tires for over a decade. Bike rode smooth up to 140. You are entitled to your opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. If you say they don’t work, why wait for an independent consumer reports view? It’s like telling a person that believes the Earth is flat that scientific community says it’s round. Some people are just going to believe what they believe.