Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
When buying a used motorhome? - Previous owners?

Thanks to forums such as this one and other sites, there's a ton of information available for a potential buyer.

My question is when buying a used coach from a dealer (CW, General RV, etc.) what is the protocol for contacting the previous owner to determine if the RV is a real dog or not? Does someone have experience with this? Seems to me that the best person to have real information about the coach is the one who owned it last. Is this standard practice when buying a used coach from a dealer?

Have people found it easier or harder when buying a coach from a private seller? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Rick & Rebecca, Colorado

Old 10-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is always a touchy subject.
Some prior owners will resent being "pulled out into the spotlight"; others are more than happy to tell you about the vehicle in question.
Sometimes you can ask the seller to have the prior owner give you a call...
It puts the ball on their side of the net!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Yep - I agree with Bob, it is a mixed bag. Like with a used car, if the dealer won't do it - I am reluctant to do business.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's obvious: just believe everything that the dealer tells you!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Mixed bag.

I, for one, would not wish to be contacted after the sale to a dealer. That is why I am not selling it myself. I have sold vehicles privately before and had bad experience where the buyer came back and claimed I knew something was wrong (90,000 miles on vehicle - Power steering hose started leaking - Go figure!)

If someone doesn't mind - then it should be up to them to tell this to dealer during trade in.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
No dealer should under any circumstances release any personal information regarding the pervious owner. If the new owner wants to contact the previous owner, the dealer can and should with the new owners permission, contact the previous owner, give them the phone number of the new owner and let the previous owner either make the contact, or not!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Whenever I trade a vehicle in: I make sure to tell the dealer that I'll be happy to discuss it with a prospective buyer...
But call me with their information, and I'll make the call to them.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
I'm about 90% sure in most states the dealer is not allowed to give you that info. I too would not want someone giving out my info and when you think about it most people probably would not (except maybe Bob). What makes you think the original owner is going to tell you anything different than they told the dealer when they sold it. Nice thought though.
Get a survey done prior to buying.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm funny that way... I figure that it's best to let someone know what they're buying, and let the chips fall where they may.
I once traded in a Can Am Spyder that had been in a decently serious wreck.
The dealer never told the buyer about it: I did...But I told them exactly what happened, what was replaced (the entire frame), and why.
She ended up buying the bike, and still owns it today.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Many times, over the years, when shopping for a used RV or a used vehicle, I have discovered the original owner's name and address in the manuals or paperwork that is left behind. Whether that next step is taken to contact them or not, it might give you clues to the history, like was the previous owner local? Was it a lease or rental? Or, might that one have come from an auction?

Easier or harder from a private seller? Yes! It's always buyer beware either way. Remember, their goal is to move the $$$ from your pocket to yours.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #11

THOR #2733
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Love the perspectives you can get from this forum. Not sure what we'll eventually end up doing, but the insight is appreciated.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think the question here is: RV1863 you have a nice Axis 25.1, looking to trade up?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #13

THOR #2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I think the question here is: RV1863 you have a nice Axis 25.1, looking to trade up?
Well yes! But it's not so simple (like most things in life). We are seriously considering becoming full timers in a few years. We love our Axis, but I don't think it will hold up to the more constant use and wear that comes with full time or even half time RVing. I'm an obsessive researcher, so never too early to start learning. We went into our first motorhome rather blindly. Total newbies. The only thing we really knew was that the 25.1 model was perfect for us and it was, by comparison, very affordable. Have learned a ton the past 2 years. Am now determined to make the most informed decision possible, hence the question. But not making move for a while.

I can say that I am determined to answer the question of whether or not different RV manufacturers have truly better quality over one another. I've joined the Tiffin Forum. It's interesting. From what I've gathered so far, no RV manufacturer is trouble free, no matter the coach. But I do feel that "batting average" matters. Money not withstanding, I'd rather take a chance on the RV manufacturer with the highest average. The challenge is whether or not an honest assessment can be made. To add to the hilarity, I've come to realize that motorhomes are like wine, from year to year things can change to add or diminish the over all product - a change of engine, new windshield design, etc. It is a bit overwhelming, especially when your obsessive like me. But thank you to the members of this forum! It helps people like me!