Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: North Carolina
THOR #3325
When to use a block heater?

Hey All - Happy Christmas.

We live in North Carolina and had the RV out this past weekend. The temperature was in the low 30's overnight and it got me thinking when do I use the Block Heater on my Thor Tuscany 45AT. Reviewing some google searches there is everything from 'only below 15' to 'I use it when ever I have been in one place for a month or more'

So, can someone point me to the correct answer?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since I'm completely new to the "oil-burner" experience: I'd also like to see what the experts say...
Old 12-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Only an 'expert' because of 14 years with Ford diesels (might mean I know zip...) but I haven't worried about a block heater ever. Newer diesels easily start at sub-zero temps, built-in glow plugs usually provide all the startup heat needed. If it lets you sleep better, then by all means use it. But to me, unless in the Arctic for extended winter periods/WY/MT and such, forget about it.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
Good Question LD Rider - we live in NC as well and have the Palazzo with the Cummings 6.7 Diesel - when I lived up north, we only used the block heaters if it was in the teens or lower over night - we also use to put antigel agents in the fuel tanks, to keep the fuel from getting too thick to get to the fuel pump and engine - but I think that's a thing of the past. I do use a Diesl conditioner in my diesel pickup though.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm in NC as well, and have also traveled all over the country, and in all sorts of weather temps and events, and have never used the engine block heater... as long as the glow plugs come up to temp, and the coach hasn't sat in freezing temps for weeks or months, I don't see any 'normal' use for it...though I'm sure if it sat in these temps for months and you suddenly needed to crank it after all that time, while STILL in freezing temps, then yes, it's probably a good time to use it - but only if you can crank your generator, or are plugged into shore power, of course.

I think it's like heated exterior mirrors... I've never used those either.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:24 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I have a question, given that I've never had a Diesel: Is the block heater thermostatically controlled (kind of like the tank heaters)? If it was I'd use it all the time..

As far as heated mirrors: Our last few cars have all had automatic heated mirrors--no switch they just warm the mirror when they want to. Have they worked? I have no idea but we've never had a problem with them on a snowy day either. (I don't think I've ever turned on the heated mirrors in the Axis either--but then at the time of the year when I'd need to turn them on the Axis is winterized, covered and not going anywhere.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:40 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I have a question, given that I've never had a Diesel: Is the block heater thermostatically controlled (kind of like the tank heaters)? If it was I'd use it all the time..

As far as heated mirrors: Our last few cars have all had automatic heated mirrors--no switch they just warm the mirror when they want to. Have they worked? I have no idea but we've never had a problem with them on a snowy day either. (I don't think I've ever turned on the heated mirrors in the Axis either--but then at the time of the year when I'd need to turn them on the Axis is winterized, covered and not going anywhere.)
Jamie, your heated mirrors in your cars are hooked to your rear window defrost. If you have used that, you have used your heated mirrors.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:07 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Chuck,
Good point about the antigel additives--probably is a concern if running the higher % of biodiesel. Way more problems with gelling fuel at sub-zero than the diesel starting unless the fuel won't flow...then, no block heater will cure that.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Jamie, your heated mirrors in your cars are hooked to your rear window defrost. If you have used that, you have used your heated mirrors.
Ah didn't realize that...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
The strangest (most Dawniwian) thing I've seen was a bunch of years ago in NE when I saw a truck driver start a little fire under his fuel tank. I stopped my cruiser and grabbed my fire extinguisher thinking he had a fire ready to erupt. He told me he was just trying to heat the fuel (it was about -5) so it would flow to the engine. Unique approach but very dangerous. I put my exhaust flow next to the tank for about 20 minutes and got him started. May have picked up water in the fuel but it interesting to say the least.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
There are several things that come in to play on a cold start up. In freezing weather engine oil gets thicker. (New synthetic oils help a lot here.) This slows the the oil protection to the critical engine parts on start up. It is said that most engine wear occurs in the first few moments of cold start up The engine computer enriches the fuel supply, burning more fuel during that warm up period. Ever notice fuel economy goes down in cold weather? It also makes the engine crank slower and draws more power from the batteries. I say use that block heater anytime it's cold out. It helps warm the engine up quicker for your cabin heat, oil flows quicker to the engine and reduces fuel consumption.
Oh, and, yes it is thermostatically controlled. So, obviously it's not drawing power to heat the engine when it's 60 degrees outside.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #13

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Used to operate a large fleet in the northeast. Old school are block heaters. New school, proper maintenance and possible need to cut the fuel if hit with prolonged lower temps. As mentioned, newer vehicles are much better than 20 years ago.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
The strangest (most Dawniwian) thing I've seen was a bunch of years ago in NE when I saw a truck driver start a little fire under his fuel tank. I stopped my cruiser and grabbed my fire extinguisher thinking he had a fire ready to erupt. He told me he was just trying to heat the fuel (it was about -5) so it would flow to the engine. Unique approach but very dangerous. I put my exhaust flow next to the tank for about 20 minutes and got him started. May have picked up water in the fuel but it interesting to say the least.
This sounds like a 9-1-1 call getting ready to be made!
Old 12-26-2018, 04:32 AM   #15

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
The manufacture put the block heater in there for a reason, use it. On my p/u trucks I dont usually plug them in till the temp gets in the 20's, on my tractors pretty much keep them plugged in all winter.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #16

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
The manufacture put the block heater in there for a reason, use it. On my p/u trucks I dont usually plug them in till the temp gets in the 20's, on my tractors pretty much keep them plugged in all winter.
Block heaters are usually an option and are not standard.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #17

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Block heaters are usually an option and are not standard.
Every diesel IHave purchased for the last 25years came standard with a block heater, even the new 2017 Chevy Duramax I purchased last year.be it a vehicle or a tractor they come with them. Like I said earlier, they put them in there for a reason so use it,.there is no down side to using a block heater.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #18

THOR #12830
Quote:
Every diesel IHave purchased for the last 25years came standard with a block heater, even the new 2017 Chevy Duramax I purchased last year.be it a vehicle or a tractor they come with them. Like I said earlier, they put them in there for a reason so use it,.there is no down side to using a block heater.
Agree to disagree
Old 12-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Agree to disagree
It's most likely a matter of who built the diesel, and the sort of use that it was designed for...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #20

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
I would agree that it would not hurt. It should just get you up to operating temperature much faster. Every Cummins that is in a Ram from 2013 and up has a block heater installed from Cummins. You just need to buy the cord so you can have it plugged in.