Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #8187
Why Thor

Hi, We are looking to trade in our 2004 Jayco Greyhawk for a Thor, possibly Quantum, but definitely something with bunk beds. Just finished an awesome vacation and want more! Anyone want to share why they bought a Thor over another model? We also looked at the Forest River Sunseeker and while we didn't love the layout as much the sales guy was up talking the way it was make and the quality. Anyone who has owned a few want to share some advice??

Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its easy for us: No other manufacturer makes a Class A unit on the smaller E-Series chassis (the Axis/Vegas models).

After the purchase many other campers did express to us the statement/question "You bought a Thor!?" Yes we did and we love it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Same here. The E450 with the independent I beam gives a great ride...

2016 VEGAS here, was our first RV and read all the "horror" stories about THOR but went ahead and made the purchase.. THOR quality has been "ok", and we now have at least ten dozen screws we have found around the MH.

Yes, there have been some small issues, however THOR customer support has been great. Our dealers follow-up, not so much, but so far, tolerable.

Still love the layout and have learned a lot about the VEGAS since we purchased, (especially with the help of people here on the forum). We feel extremely comfortable and, if I can figure out how to get a spare on board (since we have a rear slide) I think we are prepared for "most" issues...
Old 07-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
This is our second Thor if that says anything, never had any warranty work on the first one at all. We bought the second Thor because they had the perfect floor plan for us. Only a couple of very minor warranty issues. Would I buy another Thor, absolutely I would!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:35 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchipp View Post
Hi, We are looking to trade in our 2004 Jayco Greyhawk for a Thor, possibly Quantum, but definitely something with bunk beds. Just finished an awesome vacation and want more! Anyone want to share why they bought a Thor over another model? We also looked at the Forest River Sunseeker and while we didn't love the layout as much the sales guy was up talking the way it was make and the quality. Anyone who has owned a few want to share some advice??
My Vegas is on order, so I have no personal experience. However, I came close to buying a Forester and spent a lot of time on the ForestRiver forums. If you haven't, you should definitely check it out. Many of the same things I read about there, construction crap (wires, dust, screws, etc.) left behind all the cabinets was mentioned on Forest River coaches. Leaks. Clearance lights with no sealant put in. Leaking slides. Etc.

I've come to the conclusion that they all have problems, and I might as well get the floorplan that suits us best and deal with the inevitable headaches and fixes that are going to come with the new coach.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:01 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
Similar comments to SuperD and Tnedator, find the floor plan you love. We looked at few models from a handful of manufacturers and based our decision on the floorplan. We selected the class A Thor Challenger 37TB (bunk model with 1 & 1/2 bath) and love it. For most people, this is a major financial decision so find the model you love and you'll be excited to take it out every time. Why settle?

We also have had good experience with our dealer, Campers Inn, which matters when it comes to warranty work.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I love my coach but unfortunately we have a dispute with Thor and I would not purchase from them again due to a lack of integrity in their management.

If you are looking at Class C motorhomes then they are pretty equal and I'd recommend you go with a floorplan you like.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Its easy for us: No other manufacturer makes a Class A unit on the smaller E-Series chassis (the Axis/Vegas models).

After the purchase many other campers did express to us the statement/question "You bought a Thor!?" Yes we did and we love it.
Same reason - small class A Axis Vegas E450. Most of the sub-systems are the same as anyone elses. Comes down to QC on the assembly line which varies year to year. We had problem with sub-sytems but Thor seemed to assembly most of the rest correctly. Thor customer service has been great to us.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Our RV is larger but we love Thor's floor plans. In our challenger you sit across from TV in living room. ITs not at the end of the couch. Also we have a 3 zone living area. Living room, Kitchen/dinning room and bedroom. Love the layout and the storage. Our RV is the same size as our old Gulfstream but has twice as much basement storage.

KC
Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
We have a Four Winds 31e, which is the same floor plan as a Quantum LF31. Just retuned from a three week road trip. We liked this layout because bunks, master and bath are all accessible with the slide in. It's also a very large slide. We also like that the bathroom is accessible without having to go by the bunks. Storage is plenty for a family of four. Love our motorhome. There were issues with it when we bought it, but we worked through them all over time. I had a Jayco before (travel trailer) and liked it greatly, price point on Class C was to high compared to Thor. I'd by Thor again, but would be very thorough during PDI now that I know what to look for. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #11

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
I agree with Airforceret. Four has a great reputation but I too found all kinds of screws laying around and then immediately the drawers start to fail. If they shove in just a little to the right or left it makes the latch break. I've had it in warranty shop for a week at my dealer. It was winterized and when I picked it up they had not turn the water on to the water pump so it ran for an hour before I figured out it wasn't getting water so I had to crawl into the access panel and turn it on. You would think the dealer would check those things.
Also the gas fill valve was all crushed and had to be replaced and it still has the same problem shuts on and off and it takes a half hour to fill it up. They told me to take it to a Chevy dealer. I would go with the Forest River next time.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
We looked around for three years before replacing our 1998 26' Itasca Spirit with the Freedom Elite 28H. We were looking for increased storage, queen bed and sofa - a better floor plan. We looked at everything - loved the Jayco quality but the height was an issue due to our RV Port being 2 inches too short to accommodate the Class C Jayco. Finally found the 28H and love it. We have had a few minor issues (mostly due to our lack of knowledge about technology). We keep our RVs for a long time (at least 15 years) so quality is important. We are happy with our Thor and would recommend it.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
In our search for our first Class A we were let down by our first selection (Precept). It had so many issues that we could have had 10 PDI's over a 3 month period and I don't think they could have delivered it fixed.

I just happened to see our unit after it was taken in by the dealer. Never really did much research on Thor MH's. Loved the floorplan and looked it over pretty good. Did some research and went back to make the deal. Since we were making the deal in Illinois we also did the factory tour in northern Indiana within the first month of ownership.

I believe that Thor Motorhomes are about in the middle of the pack when it comes to value and quality. In the last few years the factory has cut back on production in an effort to better control quality so I think they are improving.

Even though I am not a believer in purchasing new anymore, I would certainly not hesitate to purchase a 1 or 2 year old Thor Motorhome over most other brands out there. Just my 2 cents.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote