Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #4547
wind warning ap?

Hi folks--we are renting an ACE 30.2 in a couple of weeks as part of our decision "to buy or not to buy" a class A of a similar size (we are actually thinking of a Windsport/Hurricane 29M). We will be renting it for a week and our travel plans include a stretch of I-10 that include an area that is prone to high winds--since we are new at this we would like to avoid major winds if possible on our first drive, so do any of you have advice regarding any "ap" or other weather-related site that is particularly helpful when you want to check weather as you travel? We already use WeatherUndergound just for day to day weather and TWC, but I thought with so many RV specific aps and information sources out there, that there might be one you all use more frequently. Thanks so much for your help (again)!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
ozeek - your message is timely for me. We have a 2016 Hurricane 27K and just returned from an almost 2 week trip to your beautiful state. We went up as far north as Santa Fe/Las Vegas (HORRIBLE wind!) as far south as Deming/Lordsburg. We re-routed and cut our trip by 2 days due to the winds and threats of snow.

Winds were (and are) a huge issue for us. We live in southeastern AZ and find we battle winds on many of our outings. I-10 across much of NM and AZ can be subject to awful winds. I used to think this was a seasonal issue, but it seems to be almost year-round.

I would also like to know if there is such a thing as a wind warning app. We also use TWC app and some local news source apps, but they don't help much when motoring down the highway!

Hope you have an enjoyable "test run" with your Hurricane rental. Eager to hear how you feel about the whole idea of buying an RV. We're happy with ours, but just dread having to fight the wind!

Eileen in AZ
Old 03-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have been on 10 several times from Florida to Phoenix and wind can be a problem but we only pulled off mid afternoon because I was tired of fighting it. We have several general weather apps on our phones and check them regularly when in windy areas. I have found out it is more comfortable to slow down ride the right lane and let everyone else fly by me, it makes life easier.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #2544
I use the NOAA app for Android.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
We've never used an app. We just pull over when we feel it is unsafe to proceed. It's happened to us twice in NM (for wind) and once in Texas (rain). Other than that, we've been very lucky. Will check out the NOAA app mentioned though.

As for the 29M, we love ours.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

THOR #4547
Thanks All--I did do a little more digging and found an ap called "Wind Alert" that might be helpful--there is a free version and a paid version (of course more features on the paid version). I installed it and have played with it a little--you can get wind forecasts, select "favorites" etc. It is not specific to RV'ers--more for boaters and windsurfers I think, but it could be helpful so I thought I'd share!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I use an app called Windy. It gives you actual wind speeds all across the US. You key in where you want to get the wind speeds and it shows you the wind speed and wind direction. I have the free app, and used it to and from Tucson from Greeley CO. LOVE THE APP!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

THOR #4547
One other quick question related to wind--when you think about wind and driving a class A, what wind speeds are not a big deal, tolerable or too scarey? I understand we all have different tolerances, driving skills and even mechanical differences in our motorhomes so I know it's a ballpark type question. Just wondering when you look at the forecast, what speeds/conditions cause you to think about re-routing or waiting a day before travel, etc.?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Windy Days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeek View Post
One other quick question related to wind--when you think about wind and driving a class A, what wind speeds are not a big deal, tolerable or too scarey? I understand we all have different tolerances, driving skills and even mechanical differences in our motorhomes so I know it's a ballpark type question. Just wondering when you look at the forecast, what speeds/conditions cause you to think about re-routing or waiting a day before travel, etc.?
I consider a forecast of anything less than 15 MPH to be a blessing and a one hand on the wheel day. Cross winds of 15 to 25 usually keep both my hands on the wheel. Above 25 MPH can tire me out if more than 2 or 3 hours and I usually try to park somewhere if it looks like it is going to be a long event. Gusts of 40 MPH I try to avoid. With what I have done to my RV I can manage up to 40 MPH gusts but sure takes the enjoyment out of driving and can create a white knuckle experience.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We can start out in perfectly calm air flow, and seems that more often than not, we wind up in raging winds. I concluded that somehow my motorhome must be a wind generator of sorts. Seems like we have often found ourselves in heavy winds, when they weren't predicted, and just as often when they are predicted, we encounter almost no wind. Part of RV'ing, I guess.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #11

THOR #2005
Just returned from a 2 week trip into New Mexico. We had strong winds (no idea of speeds) so much of the trip that it made us question whether we still wanted to do this RV'ing thing. Hubby does all the driving, and he holds up pretty well...or at least doesn't let it show. It does often become a white knuckle experience and to me it takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it.

After a lot of winds on most of the highways we travelled, and after sitting through 3 days of horrible buffeting winds - all day and all night - in a KOA in Las Vegas NM, we were dreading our trip home.

We ran into strong winds along I-25 near Santa Fe but managed to stay on the road. However we were on a secondary road somewhere between Hatch and Deming NM and a swirling gust hit us so hard we were pushed to the right, then to the left and across the center line. We thanked our lucky stars that there was no oncoming traffic at that moment. We both lost a lot of sleep on this trip, worrying what we would encounter with each day.

On a trip to CA two years ago we fought winds so much of the way, and on our way home had to interrupt our trip and get off the road between Bakersfield and Mojave due to high winds that toppled semi trucks. These types of experiences surely do take some enjoyment out of being on the road.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Knowing the wind speed you're dealing with helps you know if it is a vehicle issue. You should be able to handle 15 MPH winds with up to 25 (or so) MPH gusts pretty easily and without blowing you off the road. You can feel it hit but should have no trouble controlling your rig. If that is not your case then you should check out the fixes people talk about in the forum. I added a larger sway bar on the rear and added a Safe-T-Plus on the front. In windy conditions I generally drive 5 to 10 MPH under the speed limit. That allows other drivers to easily pass me and makes me more comfortable.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 AM   #13

THOR #6443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Knowing the wind speed you're dealing with helps you know if it is a vehicle issue. You should be able to handle 15 MPH winds with up to 25 (or so) MPH gusts pretty easily and without blowing you off the road. You can feel it hit but should have no trouble controlling your rig. If that is not your case then you should check out the fixes people talk about in the forum. I added a larger sway bar on the rear and added a Safe-T-Plus on the front. In windy conditions I generally drive 5 to 10 MPH under the speed limit. That allows other drivers to easily pass me and makes me more comfortable.

Agreed don't tempt chance with high winds. Especially going over bridges. Always be prepared for gusts keep firm grip on wheel.

Safe and Happy Trails

Captain Kirk
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #14

State: Nevada
THOR #970
March winds

Yes, wind is a bitch sometimes, besides draining you from driving it cuts your MPG if drving into it.. Biggly sometimes.. I drove a Uhaul west a few years ago into wicked winds in TX, NM, got 3.5 MPG. Stopped at a hotel, was not worth driving. Now in my RV I watch the winds.. If you must, becuase you are renting so your time is limited, drive slower. The truckers will hate you but you will feel better at the end of the day. I have plans to head to SW CA tomorrow and see a wind advisory just came up. I probably drive 1/3 the way and camp somewhere along the way. I have no time restrictions. I have the weather channel app on my phone.