Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Winterizing in Little Rock

Novice question: I live in the Little Rock AR area where the winters are usually very mild. My question is would it be necessary to winterize my ‘17 Vegas using anti-freeze or would just draining the water system be sufficient in this climate?

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I would just drain.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #5647
Hi Jerry, I've had an RV in LR last winter kept in indoor storage and just drained the lines and blew them out with a compressor. I didn't have any problems when we got in the teens and twenties last winter. My father-in-law in Batesville has been doing this for years and has not had any problems either.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:49 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
It's possible you might be ok draining the lines and blowing them out really well with an air compressor as others have done, but for my own peace of mind, I put the RV (pink) antifreeze in when temps drop down much below freezing. There are just so many areas that won't drain well and may retain some water even at an attempt to blow them out. The fresh water pump, traps and dump valves are critical points also.

It only takes a gallon or so and very little time to do it. Personally, I feel much safer doing it this way, especially if I will be storing it during some of the colder winter months when the temps get down in the 20s or teens.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #5

THOR #1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Hi Jerry, I've had an RV in LR last winter kept in indoor storage and just drained the lines and blew them out with a compressor. I didn't have any problems when we got in the teens and twenties last winter. My father-in-law in Batesville has been doing this for years and has not had any problems either.

Inside storage would make a big difference in making a decision on this. Mine is kept outside under a covered top shelter.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Inside storage would make a big difference in making a decision on this. Mine is kept outside under a covered top shelter.
Out of curiosity, do you store it all winter, or do you winterize/dewinterize multiple times during the winter?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #7

THOR #1123

I have winterized and de-winterized a couple of times in the past during early winter, but when it looks as if it’ll be freezing temps over a month or so, I’ll usually just leave it winterized (January/February and maybe early March).
Old 11-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #8

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I have winterized and de-winterized a couple of times in the past during early winter, but when it looks as if it’ll be freezing temps over a month or so, I’ll usually just leave it winterized (January/February and maybe early March).
As a newbie, I'm trying to find my way.

As Arkansas often has very mild winters, that can have many weekends in the 60's, I want to take advantage of those weekends and get out in my RV.

However, we can have stretches of sub freezing temps pretty much any time from November to March, obviously with the worst normally in Jan/Feb.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #9

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
As a newbie, I'm trying to find my way.

As Arkansas often has very mild winters, that can have many weekends in the 60's, I want to take advantage of those weekends and get out in my RV.

However, we can have stretches of sub freezing temps pretty much any time from November to March, obviously with the worst normally in Jan/Feb.

I completely understand what you’re saying. We enjoy RVing more in the cooler months than the hot and humid summers. Just wouldn’t want to get caught in a really cold freeze unprepared.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Here in super cold North Indiana. My unit is fully winterized already. When we take out in winter, skiing,sledding etc. we bring bottle water for drinking & cooking, use nothing but toilet keep gal antifreeze in bathroom pour in bowl when used. Use sanitized wipes for hands. Dump black tank and pour more antifreeze in toilet. Been doing that way in winter 20 yrs.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
In milder areas, and especially if winterizing/dewinterizing multiple times, I would use a compressor and blow out the lines.... Drain fresh water, gray and black tanks and water heater - water heater in bypass. Insure the pump gets drained.

Not necessary to get 'every drop'.... Any water left will have plenty of room to expand.

Antifreeze in drains / traps is still needed... Certainly for those longer stitches.

I used that method after late winter/early spring trips in Michigan.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #12

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
In milder areas, and especially if winterizing/dewinterizing multiple times, I would use a compressor and blow out the lines.... Drain fresh water, gray and black tanks and water heater - water heater in bypass. Insure the pump gets drained.

Not necessary to get 'every drop'.... Any water left will have plenty of room to expand.

Antifreeze in drains / traps is still needed... Certainly for those longer stitches.

I used that method after late winter/early spring trips in Michigan.
How do you drain the water pump? I read one place (or maybe watched in a video, possibly even the Thor video), that after draining/blowing out the lines, and working your way through all but the last faucet (they used outside shower), turn on the pump to have it move any water it has in it. They cautioned about not running it long without water, however.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #13
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
It cost me less than $12.00/year for antifreeze....my opinion that's cheap insurance
Old 11-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #14

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw View Post
It cost me less than $12.00/year for antifreeze....my opinion that's cheap insurance
I doubt it's the cost of the antifreeze that has some people blowing out the lines instead.