Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We have a full wall slide and like it a lot although time will tell, I’m sure. We heard all of the sales pitches and on thinking about it decided there were a couple of positives. One is that we only have ONE slide which means fewer of them to fail. To get the same utility we’d otherwise need two or even three slides. Two is that the slide doesn’t extend as far. My previous machine had a bedroom slide that extended about 30 inches. This one only extends about 18. I presume the physics get more complicated with a longer extension. Third, they’ve been making full wall slides for a while now and, hopefully, have got the hang of it. Love the clean open feel it gives the coach. As I said, time will tell.
LOL I understand the appeal of the full wall slide and know there are a lot of people on here with them (Just look at the "Jerry's Hurricane Mods" thread..all those happy 29M owners--a lot of them must be built correctly).

I like slides, just those look like too much to me: One entire side of the RV moving, many of those have sinks, ovens, etc. in the slide--a lot of plumbing that moves around. Just seems like a lot to me and I love slides; they are a great solution for getting more room in an RV and still have something that can go down the road. Since I still have the Hurricane page up a floorplan more like the 31S appeals to me: Only couch, dinette in one slide, and bed in the other--no plumbing, no gas, just wires have to move (or the ACE 30.3).

Look at the Axis/Vegas 25.6: That is a less complicated full wall slide as the kitchen is on the fixed side of the unit (although that unit suffers the same problem that the 27.7 has: very little exterior storage).

Everyone has their own wants, and desires--if they didn't we'd all have the same floorplan and there would be 1 RV model. Was just with a family member at our local RV show purchasing a 22 ft class B. A much smaller RV than even our 24.1. It is a really slick machine with some very innovative ways to make use of the small space. RVs are all pretty cool from 10ft up to 40+ft .

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:49 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV24.1 View Post
The 31S is a nice layout, but something I look at first when looking at RV’s are the dimensions and capacities. I don’t understand how the bigger rigs can have such small holding capacities, especially the black tank. My wife and I go to several events each year and dry camp for several days with no extra facilities provided. A 24.5 gallon black tank is cutting things real close. I know the bathroom sink and shower drain into our black tank on the Vegas 24.1. It has a 30 gallon black tank.

Our 2016 Vegas shower drains in to the gray tank..
Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Very true.

Particularly since I'm not going to buy a 20-year-old anything to get a floorplan I like. The floorplan I copied above is from a 1997 Southwind the size of an Axis or Vegas, before some guy reinvented the wheel and called it a RUV.
have a good day my friend

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The topic of full-wal slides, and the 3-Trax system:
They might all work perfectly well (and probably do!)
I a big follower of the K.I.S.S. principle.
And I also know how badly Murphy's Law, can bite you on the bottom!

So I just try to avoid the potential for problems; before I find out if my fears are even justified...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL I understand the appeal of the full wall slide and know there are a lot of people on here with them (Just look at the "Jerry's Hurricane Mods" thread..all those happy 29M owners--a lot of them must be built correctly).

I like slides, just those look like too much to me: One entire side of the RV moving, many of those have sinks, ovens, etc. in the slide--a lot of plumbing that moves around. Just seems like a lot to me and I love slides; they are a great solution for getting more room in an RV and still have something that can go down the road. Since I still have the Hurricane page up a floorplan more like the 31S appeals to me: Only couch, dinette in one slide, and bed in the other--no plumbing, no gas, just wires have to move (or the ACE 30.3).

Look at the Axis/Vegas 25.6: That is a less complicated full wall slide as the kitchen is on the fixed side of the unit (although that unit suffers the same problem that the 27.7 has: very little exterior storage).

Everyone has their own wants, and desires--if they didn't we'd all have the same floorplan and there would be 1 RV model. Was just with a family member at our local RV show purchasing a 22 ft class B. A much smaller RV than even our 24.1. It is a really slick machine with some very innovative ways to make use of the small space. RVs are all pretty cool from 10ft up to 40+ft .
As someone who has purchased a full wall slide motor home, I want to thank the people that have pointed out the pit falls of owning full wall slides. Before buying our Hurricane we considered each of these concerns. After talking to owners of full wall slides, we decided the benefits outweighed the possible problems. I don’t think I would have understood these potential problems if my only source of information would have been the salesperson. Now that I own a full wall slide I continue to rely on the forum to keep me informed on the proper use and maintenance of the slide. To me, Jamie has pointed out that if you opt to buy a full wall slide you had better be ready and able to provide extra scrutiny to the use, inspection, and maintenance of the slide.

The beauty of this forum is the diversity of opinions of its members. Thank you, Jamie, and please keep posting.

Tom
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #26

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Different strokes for different folks. The reverse of forum friends Tom and Linda, we traded a 33' Class A for our Vegas 25.2, and haven't looked back. The two slides on our 33 worked great until they didn't. Then they were a PITA, both. Also had a few issues with the power steps, and replacing the tires was painful in the wallet.

Mrs S and I don't mind the closer quarters, but can see how that could be problematic for many folks, especially those with bigger or multiple pets. Dif strokes for dif folks!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
For us, a residential fridge is a "must have" on our list since we full time. Neither of these models offer that, but larger Hurricanes/Windsports do so that is one of the reasons we chose the floorplan we did.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 AM   #28

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We have a full wall slide and like it a lot although time will tell, I’m sure. We heard all of the sales pitches and on thinking about it decided there were a couple of positives. One is that we only have ONE slide which means fewer of them to fail. To get the same utility we’d otherwise need two or even three slides. Two is that the slide doesn’t extend as far. My previous machine had a bedroom slide that extended about 30 inches. This one only extends about 18. I presume the physics get more complicated with a longer extension. Third, they’ve been making full wall slides for a while now and, hopefully, have got the hang of it. Love the clean open feel it gives the coach. As I said, time will tell.
We were brand new to slides all together! I read and read comments about them. We decided to just throw caution to the wind and buy the floor plan we like regardless. The full wall slide on our Quantum WS31 has been working great. If we are at a campsite with power I retract while still plugged in. Not much sense in unplugging, then retracting. We really like the space gained with the slide.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #29

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
.....cut..... The two slides on our 33 worked great until they didn't. Then they were a PITA, both. ......cut.....

Agree that's what most slide buyers fret about, but deciding on slides should involve a lot more than whether they will work or not. Even when working perfectly they still have many negatives rarely discussed.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLindaRogers View Post
We made the move from a Axis 25.2 to the Hurricane 29M last November. Even though we have only taken one extended trip to date, we are very happy with the move. We have gained more counter space, double sink, larger wardrobe, king size bed, dinette, 50 amp electrical system, larger tanks, more interior room, better fit and trim, better bathroom (except shower), tighter windows, easier to heat, auto leveling, larger basement with better pass thru and better doors and latches and last but not lease a better placed and larger emergency egress window.

We have given up better gas mileage, larger shower, better acceleration, excellent handling after up grades (I am certainly working on handling up grades for the Hurricane), smaller foot print, less expensive repairs, parts, and tires and the inexplainable joy of owning a Vegas or Axis. Oh, and a little more of our kids inheritance.
We went from a 2017 Axis 25.2 to a Windsport 29 m. No comparison!!! Lots more storage inside and out, king size bed, dinette, swapped the sofa for a pair if electric recliners with heat and massage, outside kitchen which also increases fridge space, bigger tanks, large microwave & gas oven with a 3 burner cooktop, auto leveling--- I could go on. No one that I have talked to never complained that they had too much room. Windsport and Hurricane are very similar. I really like the 19.5 inch wheels also. The perfect length and handles GREAT!!!!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Nobody has asked this question yet:
Are we talking about spending OUR OWN money: or someone else's?

If it's not my wallet that's in peril: I've seen some pretty nic-looking rigs out there!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Just a small correction on the 31S. Everything on the right side (kitchen sinks and shower) drain into the gray water tank (40 gal). The fresh water tank is in the forward most compartment (directly under the kitchen sink - beside the battery compartment) On the left side, the head and sink in the bathroom drain into the black water tank on which the head sits. Yes is is only 24.5 gal but there is no need to use much water to flush as it is a straight drop. Also since the tank is square the tank rinse works perfectly. There are three usable basement compartments on the right side not impeded by a slide. By the way the 31S is no longer available and went the way of the 34P (same slide plan).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote