Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2018, 01:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Xantrex Inverter E05/OL Error

So yesterday as we got ready to travel from Edgewood, NM we turned off the generator and the inverter started alarming. The error code is E05 alternating with OL which in the manual means an output overload or a short circuit. We tried a number of things but ended up traveling on to Elk City, OK and when we stopped we called Xantrex. They advised us to unhook the inverter from both AC and DC power and let it reset itself.

Of course, the inverter is an XM1800 Pro and is hard wired on the AC output side. Rather than pull the inverter out and unhook both AC feeds, we just turned off the circuit breakers and then unhooked the DC leads and the ground wire.

Putting everything back together after an hour we got the same alarm. Waiting a day and trying again, same result. We may have a toasted inverter but I want to give it another shot once we have shore power in another 48 hours.

I doubt we have any short circuit as everything works on generator power. Any other ideas?

FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I suspect when you turned off the generator the inverter saw the loss of AC power and switched to the inverter supplying power instead of passing through the generator power, but if there was a fault in the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) in the inverter it may have momentarily connected the generator and inverter outputs together out of phase, which would cause a current overload and possibly damage the inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I had the same type of problem, it just started out of now where like yours. After doing the "hard" reset I ended up calling the Xantrex folks for help. After explaining to them the problem it was determined the invertor was going bad. I just could not see that as unit was to new so I started to look at all the wires behind the electric pannel. I found a few 12v and 110v lines not very tight. I tighted all the connections in the breaker panel along with the lines in the "bird". Not saying this will work for you but it has seemed to stop my problem.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #4

Model: Ace 29.3
State: California
THOR #6522
When we have done same thing turned off generator and got the same alarm. I just turn off the alarm panel and wait about 30 to 60 secs and turn it back on. Alarm has reset. Good to go.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Well, after exhausting everything I can find and connecting to shore power, it is still showing the E05/OL error message but at least it isn't screaming the warning beeps any more. I seriously doubt there is an AC system short or else there would be other issues. What was also strange is that when I connected the positive (red) terminal (and left the black and ground disconnected) the remote panel showed an E02 low voltage warning. Once I connected the rest, we went back to the E05 error. I am pretty sure the inverter is toast.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Model: Outlaw LS
State: Arizona
THOR #6412
Hi JP - I've got the same issue - RV is only 2 yrs old - what did you do to resolve your issue?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11285
Xantrex xm pro 1800 issues

I have a 2017 Thor Miramar 35.2 and have this same issue with my xantrex Mx pro 1800 inverter. I have had 2 units that went bad with the same issue in this model. I never run the inverter except when I am dry camping with no Generator. This thing only runs the fridge and some plugs. So disappointed that the second unit has gone bad after 3 months. If anyone has any information or the same problem, I’d love to know your experience. This has to be a Thor problem in my estimation. Everything on shore power and generator works perfectly. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thor does one thing incorrectly when installing these Inverters. Not sure it is causing this problem but......

Xantrex (and any inverter for that matter) recommends that a subpanel be installed on the AC output of the Inverter. That way there is a breaker on the output side that can trip in case too much current is being drawn.

Our friends at Thor try to save a few bucks and don't install the subpanel and breaker. They typically use the built-in GFCI outlet wiring of the Inverter and tap into it for the AC outlet instead of using the actual AC output terminals on the Inverter. Then they rely on the built-in breaker used for the GFCI circuit to provide protection.

In the case of my Magnitude, I have a Xanrex Freedom X and they didn't tap into the GFCI circuit. They actually used the AC output terminals so I have no protection between my outlets and the Inverter. I plan to install a 15A subpanel. I could see a situation where a short circuit could take out the built-in transfer switch or causes other damage without any type of breaker on the AC output side of the Inverter.

Not sure which way Thor wired your coach but it might be worth a look.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Ohio
THOR #23681
Strange, I just got a E05 OL error code, reset the Xanrex 1800, and the code won't go away, but it never stopped feeding the 2018 Thor Hurricane 35M with power from the inverter.

I am unplugged from Shorepower, generator is not running, and I get power from the iverter regardless if the power button is on or off. Of course the screen goes blank and the error code goes away when it's off,, but still get power from the inverter. Wierd.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
So yesterday as we got ready to travel from Edgewood, NM we turned off the generator and the inverter started alarming. The error code is E05 alternating with OL which in the manual means an output overload or a short circuit. We tried a number of things but ended up traveling on to Elk City, OK and when we stopped we called Xantrex. They advised us to unhook the inverter from both AC and DC power and let it reset itself.

Of course, the inverter is an XM1800 Pro and is hard wired on the AC output side. Rather than pull the inverter out and unhook both AC feeds, we just turned off the circuit breakers and then unhooked the DC leads and the ground wire.

Putting everything back together after an hour we got the same alarm. Waiting a day and trying again, same result. We may have a toasted inverter but I want to give it another shot once we have shore power in another 48 hours.

I doubt we have any short circuit as everything works on generator power. Any other ideas?
As others have stated, the inverter requires a reset from a hard fault. What it requires is time to rest, so that all the capacitors are completely discharged. Xantrex will tell you to completely disconnect the inverter but that is not necessary for most coaches. First trip the 120 volt 20/30 amp inverter circuit breaker in the power center to isolate the pass-through circuits Next trip the 200/250 amp circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. Usually 5 minutes of rest will cure the hard fault, but not always. It can take up to 24 hours to clear depending on the model. I have a Freedom Xi 2000 with a 30 amp pass through. The inverter is always on when there is power on the coach, as it is intended as a UPS. So with only 16 amps available in the inverter mode, we have encountered the E05 hard fault more than once.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote