Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #10032
Are you happy with your tankless water heater ?

Ran into a problem with my tankless water heater this weekend when dewinterizing it. A brand new Gerard GSWH-2 in my 2018 31PD. Basically camping world didn't winterize it correctly so it cracked the copper lines of the heater exchange. Contacted Thor to see what they are willing to do?
I've done a bunch of reading and seen that many people have been unhappy with the earlier versions of this water heater. I'm thinking if people aren't very satisfied now would be the time to do something else.
So I'm curious if most people are satisfied with their hot water heater that are running this model of tankless ?

Old 05-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We just returned from our first trip using our new tankless water heater. After finding the sweet spot (for us) on temperature I was very pleased with it. It functioned perfectly, we had all the hot water we needed, no issues.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

State: Colorado
THOR #7468
There is certainly a learning curve to get the temp just right, and I've discovered my kids and I have vastly different opinions on what is a good shower temperature. We also always dry camp, so we turn off the water while soaping/shampooing - it is super irritating when that cold shot of water works its way through the pipes in your rinse phase. I kind of miss the 6 gallon hot water tank I had in my previous rig.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonineThor View Post
There is certainly a learning curve to get the temp just right, and I've discovered my kids and I have vastly different opinions on what is a good shower temperature. We also always dry camp, so we turn off the water while soaping/shampooing - it is super irritating when that cold shot of water works its way through the pipes in your rinse phase. I kind of miss the 6 gallon hot water tank I had in my previous rig.
I agree. My mechanic has replaced dozens of these terrible water heaters. Gerard is the worst.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If it were me, I'd change it over to gas if it was feasible. I've heard the stories as above. Water has to on before the heater kicks in. Cold shot not good, plus you use more water waiting for the hot water. I would think changing over would be expensive as modifications to the outside body would be necessary also.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Gee... We wait a heck of a lot longer for the hot water to get moving around in our house; than we do in the Outlaw.
We went to a regulator that brings the pressure up to around 55 psi: MUCH better!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
State: California
THOR #10509
A frequent topic on other forums. I have a Girard tankless and finally got it to work (sort of) for camping with city water (forget hot water if dry camping). I bought a water pressure regulator set at about 50, set water temperature at 100 and run water in the shower (or elsewhere) for a long long time until I get consistent warm (not hot then cold then hot then cold …).
Old 05-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Keep that pressure gauge above 50psi, but not over 55psi. Mine is set to about 53psi, hot water temp set to 120, works fine, just don't interrupt water flow during a shower. Before going to the adjustable pressure gauge, I was considering changing out the tank-less to a standard water tank/heater. No plan to do so now.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
i had a tankless water in a apartment, it sucked there to, could not imagine trying to use it in a motor home
Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Keep that pressure gauge above 50psi, but not over 55psi. Mine is set to about 53psi, hot water temp set to 120, works fine, just don't interrupt water flow during a shower. Before going to the adjustable pressure gauge, I was considering changing out the tank-less to a standard water tank/heater. No plan to do so now.
Do you happen to know why the pressure seems to be so critical?
I changed to a higher pressure regulator; but I'm not sure why!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #11

Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
Thor 2017 Citation with Girard GSWH-2. Water pressure is at 40psi. Set water temp at 110 and do not turn on cold when using shower. Works great for us.. No problems with the temp. Called Girard and talked to tech guy (Redaldo) about a minor issue with temp sensor. Walked me thru problem on phone. Problem fixed. Had not use rv for several months and problem was air in lines. Sent me a new sensor no charge same day just in case the issue arose again (without air in lines) Great customer service. We have owned several motorhomes and so far I like the tankless water heater
Old 09-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

THOR #8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post
Thor 2017 Citation with Girard GSWH-2. Water pressure is at 40psi. Set water temp at 110 and do not turn on cold when using shower. Works great for us.. No problems with the temp. Called Girard and talked to tech guy (Redaldo) about a minor issue with temp sensor. Walked me thru problem on phone. Problem fixed. Had not use rv for several months and problem was air in lines. Sent me a new sensor no charge same day just in case the issue arose again (without air in lines) Great customer service. We have owned several motorhomes and so far I like the tankless water heater
I prefer a hot water tank. They are more reliable, easier to fix, and they conserve water more effectively. When I bought my new 2017 Thor Synergy, I had it in several shops while crossing the country and couldn't find one mechanic that knew what he was doing. Even the Thor and Girard people couldn't seem to diagnose the problem. Three months of traveling with no hot water unless the park pressure was over 50 PSI. When I got home, Jackson's RV in Medford Oregon figured out what was wrong. It now works, but as soon as I can afford it, I plan to take their advice and replace it with a tank. Apparently, they have a lot of customers who have gotten rid of their tankless water heaters.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's the nice thing about having options: you can always work toward finding the combination(s) that work best for you!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #14

Model: Synergy
THOR #12461
I’m with you Ron; I much prefer a tank type heater, principally because I know I have a tank full of hot water that I have access to. And agreed, it will use less water with a tank as compared to the tankless. Seems like we spend most of our time trying to get hot water to the faucet. If the water is turned on to a low flow, then you get intermittent hot water and cold water. I found the same thing you did; turn the temperature demand down to 100° and turn the hot water only on and take your shower. Trying to run the water tap at 120° and flow both hot and cold water to the showerhead simply does not work.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! Just use the hot water valve, and it all becomes a lot less cantankerous!

And you DO use more water... you have a virtually unlimited supply at a campground...
(Boondocking is another matter!)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Texas
THOR #11718
Tankless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you happen to know why the pressure seems to be so critical?
I changed to a higher pressure regulator; but I'm not sure why!
As it was explained to me...it takes a certain amount of water pressure going through a valve in the tankless water heater for it to heat. If the pressure is not high enough, or fluctuates, the water will not stay hot. That's why, when someone turns the water off while lathering, they get that shot of cold water.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #17

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPhil View Post
As it was explained to me...it takes a certain amount of water pressure going through a valve in the tankless water heater for it to heat. If the pressure is not high enough, or fluctuates, the water will not stay hot. That's why, when someone turns the water off while lathering, they get that shot of cold water.
Depending where I am at. Some camp grounds it works great some not so much, depending on the water pressure. I found that it the camp ground doesn't have enough pressure I turn the water holding tank water pump on and that helps increase the pressure
Old 09-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I actually like the tankless water heater. I do a lot of dry camping and I have no problem with mine. I never mix cold water though, always just run the hot.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We're diggin' ours also.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:39 AM   #20

Model: Synergy
THOR #12461
Another comment regarding the continuous flow water heater; we’ve found it works better with the coach water pump rather than the park water pressure. Guess it is at the correct pressure as compared to the park/city water. It would probably tell a story if I put a pressure gauge on the system so I could tell what pressure it operates best at.