Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Water pump loud and pulsating

The original water pump in my 2017 Axis had to be replaced within the first month I owned the coach! Now the "new" water pump is pulsating and is making a loud noise!
The problem this pulsating presents is with the tankless hot water heater! Without a steady flow the water constantly fluctuates between hot and cold!
I'm wondering if I should invest in a better quality pump or if this is just the way all water pumps function!
I'm unsure if the noise is a sign of the pump going bad or if it's just the pipes vibrating from the pulsation. I figure that noise problem would be easily solved with some pipe insulation but the hot water situation needs to be addressed!
Have any of you experienced this problem and if so how did you resolve it?
Thanks

Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are two things you can add to help and they are both available from Amazon. You will need an RV accumulator tank and a pump silencing kit (it's actually two vinyl hoses that have the correct fittings). Between the tank and the hoses they will reduce the water pulsations and help quiet down the pump by having a flexible connection to the rigid piping. Easy to install, only takes a few minutes.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #3

THOR #6203
Thank you! Is there a particular size I need ?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Thank you! Is there a particular size I need ?
No, just look for RV accumulator tank and RV water pump silencing kit. The tank is black and only one size, the hoses are white and come as a pair.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
This is the one I got on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works perfect, just make sure you follow the instructions and adjust the empty air pressure on the tank: mine was way too high which would have made the tank useless.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
This is the one I got on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works perfect, just make sure you follow the instructions and adjust the empty air pressure on the tank: mine was way too high which would have made the tank useless.
While this is a great tank you may not have room for one this large. The RV tank is much smaller but still does a good job.

This is a link to the tank: https://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-182-2...cumulator+tank

This is a link to the silencing kit: https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59...+silencing+kit
Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
While this is a great tank you may not have room for one this large. The RV tank is much smaller but still does a good job.

This is a link to the tank: https://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-182-2...cumulator+tank

This is a link to the silencing kit: https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59...+silencing+kit
Yeah, the 2 gallon tank is 8 inches in diameter instead of 5" and 1 inch longer. I had plenty of room in my ACE in the same compartment.

On my last TT I put a 7 gallon tank in.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #8

THOR #6203
I think the smaller one will fit in my Axis but I need to check the available space before I place an order.
Again thanks everyone for your help
Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
if there is air in the lines, these pumps get loud and angry. Sometimes it takes some doing to get all the air out.

have you sucked the tank dry lately?

I even had it once with a hairline crack in one of the suction side fittings (actually the strainer cap), and it was pulling air in. It wasn't until it started leaking water after it got worse later on that i found it.

Before doing anything too drastic.... I suggest

1) giving the plumbing a good looking over for loose or cracked fittings or components....especially since work was done to it lately...
1a) while you're at it make sure the mounting screws area all tight and good

2) then letting it pump some water through for a while.. let the bathroom sink run a long while, then the shower, etc... to give it a really good purge
then see if it settles down. I'd probably start with the faucet closest to the pump and work away from it....
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:

Just wondering if you utilized the same kind of clamps that were used by the factory and the Shurflow fittings. We cannot hook up the flexible line directly to the pump because I would have to completely reconstruct the plumbing. Plan on splicing into a length of downstream pipe instead.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #11

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Just wondering if you utilized the same kind of clamps that were used by the factory and the Shurflow fittings. We cannot hook up the flexible line directly to the pump because I would have to completely reconstruct the plumbing. Plan on splicing into a length of downstream pipe instead.
You won't or shouldn't need any clamps, the fittings screw on to the pump. The tank will have a connector that goes from the output side of the pump directly to the tank. The silencing kit also screws directly on. Once you start messing with the system you'll see how it goes together. I'm including a picture of my setup, yours will be similar, the difference being I made my own hoses just because I already had the hose and fittings, they are the clear braided hoses in the picture.
There are before and after pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	5792

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	5793

In the before picture you can see the screw on fittings on each side of the pump. Since the after picture I also put a thick piece of scrap carpet under the pump and tank for more vibration and noise reduction.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #12

THOR #6203
I went to the MH and checked out the water pump before I ordered the accumulator! There's not a great deal of room and it looks beyond my skill set!
If any Vegas or Axis owners have added an accumulator to their rig I would love to see pictures of your install!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #13

THOR #6203
blw2
I did as you suggested. I didn't see any obvious leaks or cracks! I purged the lines except for the outside shower which I completely forgot about! It's never been used, but I will purge it tomorrow as well!
Thanks for you help
Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #14

THOR #3483
SuperD,
Thanks for those pictures and I see again what a few more feet in length on a coach will do for jobs like this. There is practically no room around the water pump on the 24.1 Axis and they plumbed the PEX pipe so that it has no flexibility to move it at all. This makes it so difficult that your approach is impossible. I ended up cutting into the PEX pipe downstream of the pump and putting two 90 degree connectors on each end so that I could attach the flexible water line between them and the air tank. Oh, by the way, the Shurflo connectors are too big of diameter to fit inside the PEX line and I had to get the brass ones to make this work. I mounted the tank on a piece of aluminum that I screwed to the two inch supports below the passenger bed. I will attach some pictures to show what I ended up doing. One more thing, if you are thinking of using the same type of clamps that were used at the factory, there is NO room to use the crimping tool so you may have to use screw tightening hose clamps instead.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #15

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
SuperD,
Thanks for those pictures and I see again what a few more feet in length on a coach will do for jobs like this. There is practically no room around the water pump on the 24.1 Axis and they plumbed the PEX pipe so that it has no flexibility to move it at all. This makes it so difficult that your approach is impossible. I ended up cutting into the PEX pipe downstream of the pump and putting two 90 degree connectors on each end so that I could attach the flexible water line between them and the air tank. Oh, by the way, the Shurflo connectors are too big of diameter to fit inside the PEX line and I had to get the brass ones to make this work. I mounted the tank on a piece of aluminum that I screwed to the two inch supports below the passenger bed. I will attach some pictures to show what I ended up doing. One more thing, if you are thinking of using the same type of clamps that were used at the factory, there is NO room to use the crimping tool so you may have to use screw tightening hose clamps instead.
Sounds like you had a tough time but managed to solve the problems, good for you! Hope it works well!!!

If you have time post some pictures in case someone else is thinking of doing this project.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:58 AM   #16

THOR #3483
Quote:
Sounds like you had a tough time but managed to solve the problems, good for you! Hope it works well!!!

If you have time post some pictures in case someone else is thinking of doing this project.
Update on installing the air accumulator tank in the 24.1 Axis.... no room to use the factory type PEX clamps on the 1/2 pipe fitting to attach to the flexible water line. I used an automotive type clamp instead to tighten around a barb fitting. Turned on the water pump and its a no-go. Leaked. I totally forgot about the "push fit" fitting approach. Went to Home Depot and bought the "Shark Bite" 90 degree 1/2 inch fitting. Pushed it on the PEX line and had already connected the 1/2 inch flexible water line to it (used a 20' line). Turned on the water pump and everything is tight and dry. Seems like the pump is a bit smoother and not as much surging. Pictures to follow....