Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
RV Pirate's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
Posts: 259
THOR #7853
Update- tried 417 and it is pretty nice. About 25 minutes longer than I-4 but less traffic and way smoother road. Would be great with a Sunpass.
__________________

__________________
Work Like a Captain, Play Like a Pirate...

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Oldmso54's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Florida
Posts: 19
THOR #11104
Glad that worked out for you! Like I said in a previous post - we avoid I-4 like the plague, especially with the construction now. The 417 tolls are well worth it IMHO!
__________________

__________________
Shawn, Susan & Maya (aka "Diva Dog" and "The Baby")
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #23
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,519
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
I have an E-ZPASS from New York that I rarely use. I don't get charged a monthly fee. I do have it connected to a credit card to replenish the balance. Maybe different states have different policies. My pass is good in the Northeast and mid Atlantic states except Vermont and Connecticut.
New York doesn't charge NY residents (or those that were NY residents when account was established) a monthly fee... But those from outside NY get serviced by the Port Authority - and adds $1 monthly fee for any month the pass is not used.

Haven't looked at other compatible programs to see if I can get rid of that fee using one of them instead - but then heard pass holders not serviced by NY don't get the toll discounts in NY...

Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas systems are not compatible with EZPass (or each other as far as I know.)
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 2,365
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Update- tried 417 and it is pretty nice. About 25 minutes longer than I-4 but less traffic and way smoother road. Would be great with a Sunpass.
Why in the world did you not stop by a CVS, Publix, or Walgreens before you left and get a Sunpass. The money you saved on tolls would have paid for the $5 Sunpass.
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
Posts: 245
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
New York doesn't charge NY residents (or those that were NY residents when account was established) a monthly fee... But those from outside NY get serviced by the Port Authority - and adds $1 monthly fee for any month the pass is not used.

Haven't looked at other compatible programs to see if I can get rid of that fee using one of them instead - but then heard pass holders not serviced by NY don't get the toll discounts in NY...

Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas systems are not compatible with EZPass (or each other as far as I know.)
Maybe I got grandfathered in. I looked online at the application and it says the Basic E-Z Pass has no minimum use requirements. I see some of the commuter plans have minimum use standards. I don't see anything about residency unless you want a commuter plan. I would hope there website is up to date but it is New York State and connected to the crooked Authority System. Governor Cuomo is chasing people and business out of the state. Just signed an executive order to give convicted felon parolees the right to vote after the legislature rejected it. But I digress.

Got my florida sunpass the other day at Walgreens.
__________________
Shawn
2017 Windsport 35M
Shawn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
RV Pirate's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
Posts: 259
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Why in the world did you not stop by a CVS, Publix, or Walgreens before you left and get a Sunpass. The money you saved on tolls would have paid for the $5 Sunpass.
We probably will now, it was only around $7 in tolls.
__________________
Work Like a Captain, Play Like a Pirate...

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
BradnKaren's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
Posts: 284
THOR #6310
We try to avoid I-4 whether traveling in the car or RV. It's about as bad as I've seen it in the 20+ years we've lived in the Orlando area. 417 is a MUCH nicer ride. Worth every penny of the tolls. We have a Sunpass.

That said we did take I-4 west through Orlando about 2 weeks ago with the RV. Not sure what we were thinking. Hadn't been on it in awhile and didn't realize just how bad the construction and road surface was. Rattled the coach bad, and broke a fridge door bin.
__________________
BradnKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
RV Pirate's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
Posts: 259
THOR #7853
Is the Sunpass only good for one vehicle or can you use it in multiple vehicles?
__________________
Work Like a Captain, Play Like a Pirate...

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,809
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Is the Sunpass only good for one vehicle or can you use it in multiple vehicles?
multiple if you get the suction cup mount version.

They also sell a sticker type that is single use only
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
BradnKaren's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
Posts: 284
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
multiple if you get the suction cup mount version.

They also sell a sticker type that is single use only

What blw said. We have the suction cup variety so we can use it in multiple vehicles, but it is more expensive to purchase than the sticker type. It's $20 for the suction cup and $5 for the sticker, one time purchase. Funds never expire so even if you don't use it much it won't go to waste.
__________________

__________________
BradnKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2