Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31A
State: Iowa
THOR #3906
HUUUGE Vacation in June

Starting Iowa, stopping in North Platte, NE (I80 lakeside Campground) Then to Denver Co. Cant remember the name of RV in downtown Denver. Then to Glenwood Springs CO Amis Campground, then to Las Vegas Circus Circus campground, then to Grand Canyon South Rim Camper Village, Stop at Meteor Crater, then to Carlsbad KOA Campground, Dallas Tx for KOA and Six Flags, then to Kansas City then to Home. 14 Days and around 4,000 MI. Go the camper to see the country so that what we are doing.

2014 Passport Grand Touring
2014 Thor Chateau 31A
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Sounds like a fun,fast trip for sure. Happy trails. Jerry
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that sounds cool.

Have fun, be safe.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Delaware
THOR #2181
While in North Platt check out the very nice city park there, we went for ice cream as recommended by someone and the night we were there they had the town band performing a concert, also a small zoo and children's rides, to us it was just old town charm. Enjoy your trip sounds great.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
State: California
THOR #10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivymp1 View Post
Starting Iowa, stopping in North Platte, NE (I80 lakeside Campground) Then to Denver Co. Cant remember the name of RV in downtown Denver. Then to Glenwood Springs CO Amis Campground, then to Las Vegas Circus Circus campground, then to Grand Canyon South Rim Camper Village, Stop at Meteor Crater, then to Carlsbad KOA Campground, Dallas Tx for KOA and Six Flags, then to Kansas City then to Home. 14 Days and around 4,000 MI. Go the camper to see the country so that what we are doing.
Like you, we have stayed out for several months and hit some of the same spots you will visit. Great experience. Meteor Crater seemed a little too touristy for me, but Grand Canyon and Carlsbad are must see destinations. The Dallas KOA was good and offered us a reasonably close camp to check out two presidential libraries – Bush and Bush. Here’s hoping you will have a great time.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivymp1 View Post
We did something similar last October in the southeast US. 14 days and 2000 miles. 4000 miles is ambitious! We had such a great time we're already booked for this October. Enjoy!
Old 03-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
We did something similar last October in the southeast US. 14 days and 2000 miles. 4000 miles is ambitious! We had such a great time we're already booked for this October. Enjoy!
285 to 300 miles a day is not leaving much time to tour the areas.... 30 days would be a bit more reasonable me thinks...
YRMV
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
If it's open I'd recommend stopping at the Archway in Kearney, Nebraska. Great museum there and they have RV parking.

There is a great Rest Area on I76 in Julesburg, CO when you first enter Colorado. There is also a pull off on the right as you enter Colorado if you want to do a welcome to Colorado photo op. If you don't like your campground in Downtown Denver you might consider Dakota Ridge in Golden. I'd recommend fueling at the Love's just North of Denver.

Circus Circus will likely be quite hot in June and the campground is asphalt. There is limited shade on a few sites so if you are not on one of them, you may want to see if you can switch if any are available. We enjoyed staying at Circus Circus last June.

Grand Canyon used to have a great shuttle out to Kermit's Rest with several stops along the way where you can get on / off. Definitely worth the trip out and back.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
The Great Platte River Road Archway Monument in Kearney, NE is a great stop for a couple of hours. I had the same thought to recommend, but didn't because the op will have such a rushed trip.

If you can spare a couple of hours, this is a newer museum in the interpretive style. All ages will find something interesting.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
You must be a young'un. Even if you only stay 2 days in four of them spots mentioned you will have to do 400 to 500 miles a day average? We never make our schedule that tight because one flat tire or major incident on the road could mess up the whole deal.

Heck, just a couple days ago we went 300 miles and expected to only be on the road for about 5 easy hours. Due to a major jam up and lane blockage it was over 7 hours. Glad we hadn't needed to go 500 miles, otherwise it would have turned into a 11 or 12 hour day.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #11

THOR #3906
Some of those days there is a extra day in there for sightseeing. It will be fun and with 4 kids I will be ready to get back to work when I get home.
2014 Thor Chateau 31A
Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #12

THOR #3906
I see you were in the Army. I was too 90-2011 retired and am a Deputy Sheriff now. I don't know about being a yougin though at 46. The wife will be helping me drive for sure and I am used to driving at least 200 miles day. It will definitely test our family for sure but that is why we bought the Class C to see the sights and with all the kids summer activities we have a limited time.
2014 Thor Chateau 31A