Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #15607
Arctic conditions in a Thor Vegas

Still haven’t taken the plunge on the Vegas 24.1 ; MN being what it is. Cold. We are starting to see the term “arctic package” tossed around on some other RV’s. Anyone have experience with winter camping in the Vegas or any others? Does Thor make one with an arctic package? What things can you do to make it arctic. Wasn’t sure where to start this thread so I put it here.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Whire View Post
Still haven’t taken the plunge on the Vegas 24.1 ; MN being what it is. Cold. We are starting to see the term “arctic package” tossed around on some other RV’s. Anyone have experience with winter camping in the Vegas or any others? Does Thor make one with an arctic package? What things can you do to make it arctic. Wasn’t sure where to start this thread so I put it here.
In short, the answer in my opinion is "no" when you are talking about a Vegas/Axis. If you do research on their construction including plumbing, very cold temps would result in good times for you. The undercarriage of the coach itself is just not constructed for ice build-up either.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #3

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
No way. Even though my Axis has heaters on the tanks, it is at best a three season rig and that may be pushing it.

Plumbing is not protected or insulated to withstand freezing weather unless you do some significant mods. Overall insulation of the living area is poor. In mildly cold weather the heater has to do a bit of work to keep things warm. The fuel consumption is not trivial.

Winter camping in an Axis/Vegas would involve some real planning and modifications to be successful. Now if you are willing to do without water (after winterizing) and wear good long johns, it might be doable for some.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Huh? All the plumbing in a 24.1 is above the floor in the main cabin--except for the waste drains. Thus in as much as the living area is protected the plumbing is as well.

Here in Michigan we experience a bit of cold (perhaps not as much as MN--well depends on where in MI). We've only had our Axis out in the "cold" twice: Weekend camping with temps hovering just below freezing and to/from MI on a trip to FL.

Without adding any protection weekend camping in freezing temps will consume the entire propane tank--yeah the living area isn't that well insulated.

For a normal year our unit stays winterized, and covered from Oct - Apr.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
I'm not sure about any Class A, B, or C produced in the US. There are probably some that have a winter camping option but it will be pricey. The Thor Vegas/Axis are not made for extreme winter conditions.

There are campers made in Canada that have winter camping options. Escape Travel Trailers is one that comes to mind https://escapetrailer.com/the-trailer/. If you look at their options list you can see some winter items. It includes foam insulation sprayed on the bottom and thermal windows, but that option alone is $1650.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Last year we pulled into a friends farm in NC on a rainy Saturday night. The next morning we had 6" on snow on ground. Dog had never seen accumulation of snow like that.

The Vegas handled it without issue. We were there 5 nights, temps never quite made it into teens but there was no issue. Used 1/2 tank of propane for heater. Daytimes we open windows to air unit out. Overall a memorable experience.

We put a quilt bumper around bed area as sleeping area walls get cold. Otherwise no issues. I would hesitate at prolonged exposure in even colder temps. Daytimes were mid thirties and night time lows in lower 20s was fine.

The only 2 points were minor: our awning has been used so frequently we have separation. I had to thaw ice accumulated within before I could roll up completely. The other is many dead/frozen tree frogs fell out of chassis while parked.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
To me: the thought of "Winter Camping" always involves a Hyatt-Regency...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We've been in the Thor at below zero(f) temps for about 6 or 7 nights in three trips. Days never got over 30(f).
Plugged in a couple of 1500w milk house(perhaps a colloquial term. It means the cheap little square heaters that run about 15 bucks each) and life was fine. Temp stayed below 60 but above 50.

We've added the aluminum faced foam 2inch insulation slabs under the beds and electric blankets handily plug into the receptacles that are overhead of the bed.

Life works out when you plan for it.
Solutions are the solution.

I have about 300lbs of 1" refractory cloth, double aluminum bubble wrap, sound deadener that will be added this month.
Am considering a full foam underbody spray to fill the gaps the 2inch foam board won't reach.

We're all about modifications and comfort.

Type:
8kw diesel heater
into amazon search.
Spend the best $165 you'll ever spend on your rv. A leg of the ducting can be ran to the basement under the bed. A HUGE difference.

The quilt bumper is A very good idea. The walls were really cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0626190948.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	18523  
Old 06-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Seems like ducksface has the right idea. T me the most important factor is how to keep water in the PEX lines and in both holding tanks from freezing. Creature comfort can always be mitigated with blankets, clothes, and heaters. Keeping water lines happy is a more difficult matter.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Seems like ducksface has the right idea. T me the most important factor is how to keep water in the PEX lines and in both holding tanks from freezing. Creature comfort can always be mitigated with blankets, clothes, and heaters. Keeping water lines happy is a more difficult matter.
There is a Marvelous thing on amazon:
Car seat heaters.
Two 12v heated pads with a hi/lo/off switch.
Instant 12v heat pads for pipes and such.
I paid 18 bucks for them.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I have about 300lbs of 1" refractory cloth, double aluminum bubble wrap, sound deadener that will be added this month.
Am considering a full foam underbody spray to fill the gaps the 2inch foam board won't reach.

300#? Wow. thats a lot.

I put a lot of insulation in mine (all over) but I think It would not be over 100#.

I thought about adding some around the water tank (under the bed) to protect in the winter but we never really needed the RV for more than a weekend at a time (when its cold outside) so I just winterize the RV and use bottle water (no showers).

Im still waiting on your SIX x SIX write up too! LOL

Do another one on your insulation mods or anything else of interest please.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:33 AM   #12

THOR #15607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We've been in the Thor at below zero(f) temps for about 6 or 7 nights in three trips. Days never got over 30(f).
Plugged in a couple of 1500w milk house(perhaps a colloquial term. It means the cheap little square heaters that run about 15 bucks each) and life was fine. Temp stayed below 60 but above 50.

We've added the aluminum faced foam 2inch insulation slabs under the beds and electric blankets handily plug into the receptacles that are overhead of the bed.

Life works out when you plan for it.
Solutions are the solution.

Type:
8kw diesel heater
into amazon search.
Spend the best $165 you'll ever spend on your rv. A leg of the ducting can be ran to the basement under the bed. A HUGE difference.

The quilt bumper is A very good idea. The walls were really cold.
WOW! So many great ideas. Looking forward to any details after your next months insulation mods (like where you put it all). Aside from tearing out walls I think most of the stuff I’ve red is doable. I’ll feel it out this winter take a few dry runs (leaving the lines winterized). We just committed to it today. By this weeken we will be Thor Vegas owners.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 AM   #13

THOR #15607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Last year we pulled into a friends farm in NC on a rainy Saturday night. The next morning we had 6" on snow on ground. Dog had never seen accumulation of snow like that.

The Vegas handled it without issue. We were there 5 nights, temps never quite made it into teens but there was no issue. Used 1/2 tank of propane for heater. Daytimes we open windows to air unit out. Overall a memorable experience.

We put a quilt bumper around bed area as sleeping area walls get cold. Otherwise no issues. I would hesitate at prolonged exposure in even colder temps. Daytimes were mid thirties and night time lows in lower 20s was fine.

The only 2 points were minor: our awning has been used so frequently we have separation. I had to thaw ice accumulated within before I could roll up completely. The other is many dead/frozen tree frogs fell out of chassis while parked.
LMAO....Frozen tree frogs, bewildered dogs, iced swings, yep sounds pretty memorable. Watching a dog in snow for the first is defiantly worth a good laugh.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you haven't already download, read, and use the checklist when you pick up your Vegas found in Ed's excellent crowd-sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
We spent four days “snowed in” at Ellsworth AFB, SD, in our 24.1 Vegas during the April 2019 blizzard. Some things to consider to mitigate the cold:
1. Holding tank heaters don’t protect the pipes. Add additional protection and heat to the drain lines.
2. Minimize heated/living area. We retracted our slide-out, and separated the cab area with a moving blanket hung from the overhead bunk, draped to the floor.
3. Fill the water tank and propane tanks, if possible.
4. We used an additional small square 750/1500 watt heater and opened access panels to get airflow around pipes.
5. Adding overhead vent insulation cushions helps.

Granted, the temps never got much below 10F, but the wind howled, and drifting snow built up on one side (don’t want that melt running into compartments), and we didn’t have to worry much about snow buildup on the roof.

Remarkably, we used very little propane for heat. The electric heater, occasionally augmented by the propane heater, kept the interior well above freezing. While our neighboring RVs had water freeze up issues, our fresh water lines were fine. We kept our thermostat set for the upper 50s (a little lower at night).
Old 06-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Good to know Korea & Tana, I have not see you guys around before..... welcome to the forum.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #17

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Congratulations to you on your purchase. You did ask something about an "arctic" package with the Thor Vegas/Axis in your OP. You can see by the responses from current owners, even those that have been in some pretty cold weather that the Vegas is not made for this kind of weather. Yes, you can make it "doable" but that is with a lot of extra effort. I can also tell you that the same drawback as far as insulation and basic construction hits home when the outside temps are around 100 degrees. The best that the air conditioning can do is reduce the inside temp by around 20 degrees, even with the 15k air conditioner. You can find discussions on the topic with those travel trailer owners that buy the Arctic Fox line vs. those that buy something else. Just so you know what you are getting into when it comes to temperature extremes. Then there are the past discussions about putting snow chains on a Vegas.... Take one look underneath and look at all of the exposed hanging wires, hoses, etc., and picture frozen chunks of ice attaching to all of it and bouncing down the road. The vehicle is not made for it. As long as you understand such limitations you should enjoy your purchase.