Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Bald Mountain Camping Resort, Hiawassee GA

Just spent a few days there - wonderful place! Didn't take any pictures, but there are plenty on their website: https://www.baldmountainpark.com/

BIG campus on a creek - shady as well as open spots. We were in site #104, a pull-through with grassy area and partial shade. Plenty of room for our 29.3 and Xterra toad. And only $42 per night. Highly recommended.

Mickey

Old 07-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I second that. Stayed there for a season. Staff very friendly and helpful.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
pretty expensive, and a long drive up the mountain ... there are several other places in Hiawassee, such as the Georgia Mountain fair grounds campground and rv park, on Lake Chatuge, and Long Ridge campground on Sunnyside rd, farther down, if you like being 'off the beaten path' for a quite and quaint stay, and others, even Towns County campground, on Lake Chatuge.... all a LOT less in price, and great views...

been there, done that, lived there.... fun : )

Take a drive off 'SHAKE RAG ROAD' up to the 'top' of BELL MOUNTAIN, but put your big-boy panties on and make sure you're in 4-wheel drive(just kidding...)... you won't believe what you can see from there - Look Out Mountain eat your heart out!!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...!4d-83.7292092
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
Thanks for that info, we visited Hiwassee by car in June and will be taking the RV and dogs back for a long weekend next month. Was wondering where to stay..
Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

THOR #4735
Talking HiawasseeGA/HayesvilleNC area 'camping'...

...just to name a few.... google maps is your friend...easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-28 at 7.42.51 AM.png
Views:	133
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	19245  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #5584
I just got back from Hiawassee, and didn't see this place. We stayed at the Appalachian Campground, backed up to the Hiawassee River. (Hiawassee Creek might have been a better name, since it's only a few miles from the source.) We'll be back up there sometime, so thanks for letting us know.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #7

THOR #4735
yep, Appalachian campground is right near the turnoff on hwy180 to Brass Town Bald, from the Helen run over the mountain... fun for all. It's a small park right on the highway, and probably a little loud this time of year as with all the traffic and 'racing' motorcycles and sports cars coming down off the mountain toward Hiawassee...

we stayed right next door, at a private homeowner's rv site, in a nice wooded area, with access to the 'start' of the Hawassee River(notice it's spelled hAwassee, and not like the city, hIawassee...)... and the river eventually runs into TN, under I75, and creates many lakes, like Lake Chatuge, in the process... sweet.

We eventually left the private site, though we had enjoyed it for many months during 2016, because I suddenly found a bear staring at me in my front passenger side window, while I was working on my computer - and I was sitting 8' off the ground! Crazy...true.
My wife had just been lounging in the hammock, by the river, earlier in the a.m., and I had been recently watching TV, outside, only a while before the bear 'arrived'!

Seriously.

If you're brave, you can walk/hike the neighborhood road up to the
HIGH SHOALS FALLS... it's not a short hike, but since there are many seasonal cabins in the area, it's paved much of the way... when you see the falls, two different levels even, you'll understand why they are so popular, even though most folks approach them from the opposite direction, from up the road off the creek-crossing vehicle pathway by the National Forest #283 sign post entrance - be prepared to cross a rocky running creek in your vehicle, though.

Appalachian, unfortunately, is quite a ways from Hiawassee, though it's lovely in it's own right... up the road you'll also find the more 'permanent' RV park - ENCHANTED VALLEY, which is deeded/owned sites, many of which are permanent for seasonal owners from other states. Some site, though, are available to be rented, if you wish to drive thru and take a look. They have a pool, too, and are also right on the Hawassee River, sweet.

We've stayed at almost every campground or rv park or private rv site in the area and know it well...

Take a drive N of Hiawasse, on Hwy 69, to Hayesville NC, where you'll find their great, newly renovated, Clay county Campground(choose the GIBSON COVE side), which is now online and also right on Lake Chatuge, with a walking/bike path to the Chatuge Dam.
https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...lableDate=true