Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Best time to visit the Grand Canyon

We want to schedule a trip from Raleigh NC, or New Orleans to the Grand Canyon. It seems Match and April has too many storms, and Summer is too hot. Does anyone have suggestions for the best time to visit? We are thinking of staying at the KOA campgrounds.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
wife and I went there years ago, I think February. South Rim. Had a snow flurry while there and it was cold.... but it was nice and not too crowded.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

THOR #6026
Good to know, thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I like May or September/October when kids are in school which seems to help keep crowds down. Also not too hot or cold. Last visit was in late May to North Rim -- worked out great. A few years earlier we stopped overnight right after North Rim Lodge had opened, which was a little cooler but not bad. We prefer warmer weather.

A long time ago we went to South Rim during spring break in March and saw snow for first time. Only other bad weather was a bad thunderstorm while hiking the canyon, but that was bad luck. For the most part we have been very lucky with weather. North Rim is less crowded but isn't open year round.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaMyers.com View Post
We want to schedule a trip from Raleigh NC, or New Orleans to the Grand Canyon. It seems Match and April has too many storms, and Summer is too hot. Does anyone have suggestions for the best time to visit? We are thinking of staying at the KOA campgrounds.
We were at the Grand Canyon last year, after visiting, Lake Powell...It is nice in late May and early June....last year being the 100th Anniversary of the National Parks Service created a ZOO ! It was still a wonderful trip and we did find parking for our Axis! (2 years prior we did the North Rim)
Presuming you plan to visit the South Rim. .. I suggest making your reservations for that area well in advance. We wanted to stay at the Grand Canyon and wound up staying at the KOA north of Flagstaff. Have fun and be prepared to do a lot of walking in order to see all the beauty from the rim !!

If you are traveling I40...be sure to take in the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest ... short trips off the interstate and don't take more that several hours.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaMyers.com View Post
Hi! You're talking about one my most favorite places! Which rim are you planning to visit?

North Rim closes for winter - usually from sometime in October til the snow melts...maybe early to mid May. It is stunningly beautiful and so much less crowded than the South Rim.

South Rim is open all year, with sometimes some temporary snow & ice closures. You'll find lots fewer people there at that time if you're okay with dealing with some cold & snow. The scenery is SPECTACULAR in the winter. And...it's usually only "winter" on the rim. Temps go up as you go down into the canyon.

We love traveling in the fall, but there are still plenty of visitors at that time. I hate the heat (yes, I live in AZ...LOL), but find the summer temps up in Northern AZ quite bearable. They might get into the mid to upper 80s on the rim. Down in the canyon they can be over 100!

If you've never been, you will be awe-struck. If you've been before, you will still be bowled over...I am each time I revisit this beautiful place!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
....cut....

If you've never been, you will be awe-struck. If you've been before, you will still be bowled over...I am each time I revisit this beautiful place!

Nicely stated -- I feel the same way.

Grand Canyon and Yellowstone are two places I don't think I could ever get tired of visiting.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

THOR #6026
Love it thank you.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We went a few years ago in April (spring break and not camping) stayed overnight at the Thunderbird lodge on site. Saw sunset & sunrise over the canyon...just gorgeous (had dinner next to a window at the El Tovar). It was perfect. No picture can do that place justice.

Some more stops along I-40 if you're going that way: You can stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ (there is even a park for it)--er if you know the song, The old Wigwam Hotel at Holbrook, AZ, and don't forget a stop at Meteor Crater, AZ (remember it took millions of years to carve out the Grand Canyon but only seconds to create Meteor Crater!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Early October would be m first choice for the time of year. Only risk at that time of year, is possibility of wind storms. Barring wind, you should be after the summer heat, and before winter cold and snow.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #11

THOR #7204
Would recommend that you stay outside the Park if on South Rim. There are some big nice Campgrounds near the entrance. I was there about five years ago and found the sites inside the park very narrow and small. They had concrete curbs on the sides of the sites and not enough room for a very long rig. More like the design from the 50's for small travel trailers. I tore off a fridge and vent cover on pine tree limbs hanging out over the site. Not a good set up.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Our last trip to the Grand Canyon was the last part of June. We were on a southwest trip on our Harley. It never rained while we were in that area and the temps were perfect. Can't give any advise on CG's since we weren't camping.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Joe...you were lucky ... last summer .. early June, after doing the SouthRim...it was HOT ... we were going to ride the bike south of Flagstaff...and changed our minds...our old bodies, on the bike, in 100+ temp was a NO GO!! There was a time...when we rode in severe heat/cold ...didn't make any difference ! Many Good memories....
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Ron, that trip was over 4,000 miles from central states to Phoenix (southern route) and back (northern route). We were on the road during June and part of July. Never had a rain drop touch us. The heat was a different story. We could buy a cold bottle of water while gassing up and 20 miles down the road the water was so hot you could hardly stand to finish drinking it.

But I was also in my late 50's. Having recently received my very special Medicare card from my Uncle, our "motorcycle" trips are now all done by towing it behind the Thor. But you are correct......memories....
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote