Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
A Big Loop planned

Next summer we want to head up the east coast (from our home in Florida) ending up at Acadia National Park. From there we want to head a northern route out west to Black Hills, Grand Canyon, etc and then come back a southern route. We are retired and not in a hurry by any means. Any suggestions other than "take it easy", "be safe" and "have fun" along the way?

Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How North? Canada? (Montreal, Toronto)? or just US: (have to stop by Niagara Falls--slowly I stepped...)

Even so you could take a right turn at Toledo and high tail it through Michigan to the Upper Peninsula--very scenic up there. Or go to Ludington, MI and take the Badger across Lake Michigan.

Or turn right at Chicago...

Lots and lots of options.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My folks used to take the trip across Southern Canada to Calgary...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:43 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
How North? Canada? (Montreal, Toronto)? or just US: (have to stop by Niagara Falls--slowly I stepped...)

Even so you could take a right turn at Toledo and high tail it through Michigan to the Upper Peninsula--very scenic up there. Or go to Ludington, MI and take the Badger across Lake Michigan.

Or turn right at Chicago...

Lots and lots of options.
Where JG might have been headed with that is, if you go to Chicago, take Rt66 as far as you can
Old 11-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Frybread on the Navajo reservation
Canyon de Chelly on the rez
Monument valley
The site where they started the survey for the Louisiana purchase.

Food at El Tovar at the Grand Canyon
Food at la posada in Winslow
Miss the painted desert, petrified forest(you can drive through them at 50mph and that's all they're worth) and meteor crater is a giant expensive hole, watch the PBS special instead.
Pass on bearizona. Stupidly expensive to see animals in fenced pens.

If you state your interests, we can narrow you down a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0618191456c.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	21436   Click image for larger version

Name:	0511191315.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	21437  

Name:	@rondawgphotographycom.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	21438   Click image for larger version

Name:	shutterstock_111755141-1mon-vall-resized.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	21439  

Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Frybread on the Navajo reservation
Canyon de Chelly on the rez
Monument valley
The site where they started the survey for the Louisiana purchase.

Food at El Tovar at the Grand Canyon
Food at la posada in Winslow
Miss the painted desert, petrified forest(you can drive through them at 50mph and that's all they're worth) and meteor crater is a giant expensive hole, watch the PBS special instead.
Pass on bearizona. Stupidly expensive to see animals in fenced pens.

If you state your interests, we can narrow you down a bit.
What he said. You miss this in the freedom of an RV, you've done yourself a grave injustice.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #7

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
You can't head West w/o checking out the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP and Jackson Hole, WY. Ennis MT is another little touristy town you might pass through.

GVP
Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
The options are many, head east on US 2 to northern NY and then cross border at 1000 Islands head north to Highway 17 then west on 17 to Manitoba, south to the US border and catch US 2 again west to wherever it takes you. All of these roads are very good for any size RV and lots of CG`s on the routes. We prefer staying off the Interstates whenever we can and see more countryside than just 4 lanes of traffic
Have a great trip
Coveman2
18 Thor Compass
Old 11-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #13725
I apologize for the long post -----but it is a long trip!! We recently completed a 113 day trip across the country. There are so many places to see and things to do its incredible. The #1 recommendation I have for you is to plan your trip with seasonal weather in mind . #2 - Fuel - COSTCO far your best value, then Flying J (7cent gal discount with their card) #3 - take your time and do not rush ---Overall, for the time of year at each point of interest, we had very good weather. We left Florida in April and headed northwest to Stone Mountain, then Nashville, Huntsville (US Rocket Center), and then Memphis. From there we dashed to Cortez Colorado to visit Mesa Verde Nat'l Park, then Four Corners, Monument Valley (an absolute must see) Grand Canyon, Mesa and then Phoenix. We chose this route based on the seasonal weather forecast. Across the desert to SanDiego, Los Angeles, Sequoia, Yosemite, and Kings Canyon Nat'l Parks. On to San Francisco and then north to the Redwood State & National Parks. The drive up the Oregon Coast was fantastic and we stayed at State Parks each night (Humbug Man, Beverly Beach, Nehalem) and they were absolutely great! Continued north to Lewis & Clark Nat'l Park, Mt St Helen, Mt Rainier Nat'l Park , Seattle, and on to Surrey British Columbia. Turned east and hit Jasper Banff and Waterton Nat'l Parks in Canada before returning to the states at Montana where we stopped off at Virginia City (old west town) before visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Parks. A quick jaunt north to Devils Tower Wyoming and then continued using east to Wind Cave Nat'l Pk, Crazy Horse Mountain, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood and then back east again to Wall Drug, Badlands Nat'l Park, the magnificent Dignity Sculpture in Chamberlain South Dakota, a quick stop at the famed Corn Palace in Mitchell and then on to Chicago, Niagara Falls, Syracuse and then south back home to Florida.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC8884.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	21539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3895.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	21540  

Name:	DSC_4076.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	21541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5456.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	21542  

Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
AWESOME pictures!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #11

Model: A30
State: Nebraska
THOR #17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBard48 View Post
Next summer we want to head up the east coast (from our home in Florida) ending up at Acadia National Park. From there we want to head a northern route out west to Black Hills, Grand Canyon, etc and then come back a southern route. We are retired and not in a hurry by any means. Any suggestions other than "take it easy", "be safe" and "have fun" along the way?
Door County Wi., is one of my favorites. Most beautiful strip of land, down by Green Bay. Also Mackinaw Island is a good one. If you head down a little father you will could also go to House on the Rock.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #12

State: Virginia
THOR #16769
No one has mentioned booking places to stay. I had a western trip planned that ultimately had to be canceled. I called campgrounds early, we wanted to be close to the parks we wanted to visit.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #13

THOR #14396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBard48 View Post
We did Florida to Maine and upstate NY this fall. If you're into actual camping as opposed to KOA type rv parks, a great place to stay in southern Maine is Hemlock Grove in Arundel, Me (near Kennebunk). Full HU in a lovely forested setting. Speaking of KOA's, the one in Fredericksburg Va has lots of trees and shade, unlike most. There are some great dry camping state parks in the Adirondacks, especially Cranberry Lake and Nick's Lake outside of Old Forge.

I disagree with another poster's assessment of Painted Desert. We thought it was quite pretty, although I agree there's not much to the Petrified Forest Part. I should put in here that, if you're retired, you're probably old enough (62) to buy a National Parks senior pass. They've raised the price to $80 but it's still way worth the money as you get into all federal fee areas and parks for free and camping is half price. Also, the vast majority of NP campground are dry, which doesn't bother us but might deter some.

If you're ok with dry camping, there's a really nice National Forest campground just outside the gate to Grand Canyon called 10-X. If you go across the very top of the US, go the Devil's Tower Nat'l Monument. The KOA there is literally at the gate to the park and they play Close Encounters on an outdoor screen every night.

Glacier NP is a must, especially if you want to go while there are still any glaciers left. Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, of course. The campgrounds in Yellowstone and crowded so make reservations early, Madison is one of the better ones. In Grand Teton we prefer Colter Bay but they do have an rv park with hookups. The lodge has a good breakfast buffet and it's only about 45 min into Jackson for great restaurants and shopping.

In Utah, there are 5 national parks - Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, and Capital Reef - listed in my order of preferences.

There are tons of other great parks and places to go out west and we've probably been to most of them at least once. Let me know if you want to try to PM for more detail or other places.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #14

State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
The previous suggestion about planning around the seasons is very important. You are talking some very different climates on this trip! It is kind of like planning a hike on the Appalachian trail to start in the warmer south and work north as the weather gets warmer or reverse. I'd also consider doing it in two trips - because there really are two different great big loops - basically east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi.

When you are at Acadia – that should just be the start of your northern journey. On the border you pass a great historic site – the only American National Park on Canadian soil – Roosevelt's Campobello compound. Really a wonderful FDR and family experience – and not too many folks go there.

What people like about the Maine coast – is even better going north through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The Canadian coast is ideal for Rving. Don't miss the tidal bore in the Bay of Fundy... and Ft. Louisburg, an amazing historical site – the only “European” city built in North America that doesn't have a modern city built over it... north of Halifax. If you like lobster... lobster every day from fresh catches, also amazing giant scallops. Prince Edward Island is a whole different experience. Quebec – like going to a little French city – though don't try to take your RV into the really old city where the old streets still exist - we had trouble with a van!

Montreal is a great metropolitan city with both history and art.

Back down through the other sites mentioned... Niagara Falls, the Great River Road along the Mississippi, etc...
So... the East makes a great several month loop all on its own.

No time to go into the West loop... lots of favorites there, too!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Mississippi
THOR #14259
Lots of great suggestions! Love Door County. Ditto House on the Rock (plan on a full day there). If you, as I, remember the days when we, during the Cold War, had drills when we had to hide under our desks as children, you won’t want to miss the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site in the Black Hills/Badlands. It’s a little known gem! It’s not far from Wall Drug. While I love all of Utah’s national parks, my all time favorite is Grand Teton NP. Do NOT just drive through on your way from Yellowstone (nice but too touristy for me) and Jackson Hole (love it). Savor all the nooks and crannies of GTNP! It’s special, even more than Glacier, which is also spectacular, imho.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
If you get to the four corners area Hubballs Trading Post off 191 in AZ is a great original trading center. It is worth the trip as about everything else mentioned is. I doubt you can make that trip without planning several more to what you really liked and what you missed.

Our first ever rv trip was in 1974, we headed for Yellowstone. But we never made it past Jackson Hole. 45 years later we have not made it to Yellowstone but have been back to Jackson Hole several times. But we are now planning another Yellowstone attempt.

Stay off the 4 lanes. America still resides on the secondary roads.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #17

THOR #12610
I agree on Maine location, visit 1000 islands in NY its a step back in time, then stay at Letchworth state park ,inexpensive ,electric, a series of waterfalls. This is central to west NY and Niagara falls not far away. I stayed at assateague island in Maryland ,dry camping best beach with fantastic views (no big hotels to block view) and the best parts are the wild horses and ponies that roam through your campsite. It is about 5 or 6 miles from Ocean City that has an old fashion board walk. I live in W.NY and Letchworth is a great stop if you don't care about fancy stuff, It is too beautiful to not see once in your life. Longer stays I use more commercial sites.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #13725
Thanks Bob
Old 11-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: TK3
State: Georgia
THOR #15512
You might want to check out our website at srfox.net We have done this many times. Tons of photos.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #20

State: Illinois
THOR #11369
Lots of suggestions already posted, all good. All you need to do is figure out what interests you the most. But the highway through southern Canada is much easier on you and your unit than the roads in the U.S. Just avoid the toll roads near Toronto, which is easy to do. (You will need passports if you don't already have them.) Coming back into the U.S at Port Huron, Michigan will allow you to easily tour northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula and continue west to without fighting traffic around the southern end of Lake Michigan.