Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #7468
We almost never have hookups and typically camp 2-4 nights. I have an extra 6 gallon container of water as that is usually the only item we run short on.

Just a little suggestion, go somewhere that you "could" plug in, but don't. Practice boondocking and learn your habits and usage. It is a lot less nerve wracking of an experience knowing you have the resources to bail you out if you didn't use your resources judiciously.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #22

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennrush View Post
Im new to this folks. Wow!! Finding sites can be difficult, RVing has become so popular that the best places fill up sometimes 12 months in advance

My questions is Ive found some nice state parks but they have no hookups. What do people generally do about running the refrigerators and other electrical stuff in the motor home under these circumstances. Don't really want to run the generator all the time, too much noise and gas.
I have found that my fresh tank, black tank and vegas stock coach batteries easily last a long weekend. If we want to watch a movie, we just watch on the dash player.... We last stayed in a NFS campground that limited gen use to 3 hours between 6am and 10 pm....I don't like running gen in cg ran it only for hair curler . I drink instant coffee when boondocking.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
. I drink instant coffee when boondocking.
OH He** NO! Percolator on the cook top!..I have been told too many times that I'm not "socially acceptable " without my coffee.............
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #24

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
I like hookup as much as anyone but can and do go without them quite easily. In fact, I enjoy boondocking. Among all the other crap we carry, I have our Axis outfitted with a small charcoal grill, a stove top percolator coffee pot and with the fridge running on propane, we can enjoy most of the comforts of home. But, you need to use your head and plan a bit. Like don't boondock in Florida or other deep south areas during the summer months..unless you like your RV to function as a sauna. Go north, like the NC or TN mountains to camp in hot weather, where nights are cool, so you won't need A/C. And, if you can't do without TV, maybe you need to reconsider the RV lifestyle. Finally, many regular boondocking RV'ers have solar panels to help keep coach batteries charged. Just because you don't have electricity and water hookups doesn't mean you have to become uncivilized.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
take a drive thru a 'dry' campground and you'll quickly see what folks are 'doing' for power, but I doubt you'll hear near the 'sounds' of generators as you think... most folks don't use generators 24/7, but only to recharge their batteries, which provides the juice for all 12v items. If you need air conditioning, then yes, the generator will have to run, but most parks that are 'dry' also have 'quiet hours' where generators are not allowed, such as before 7am and after 9pm, etc.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #26

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
OH He** NO! Percolator on the cook top!..I have been told too many times that I'm not "socially acceptable " without my coffee.............
Lol. We don't like dealing with the grounds. Anything liquid, hot, and highly caffeinated will do.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
That's why I bought a french press that uses K cups. No mess!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #28

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
There is probably always ways to control electric usage and stretch it out. Solar, bigger battery banks, partial use of generator, etc.

Probably the biggest issue to get around if wanting to do extended boondocking is fresh water and holding tank capacity. We could possibly extend out to 3 days before our gray would have to be dumped, or start taking some drastic measures. It would probably be about the same with fresh water since the tank is only 110 gallons, 3 to 4 days max. Using paper plates and skipping showers could extend all that but we are not willing to make those compromises.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #29

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
That's why I bought a french press that uses K cups. No mess!
Works great. I tried it with my San Francisco cups that have no outside plastic cup and a regular K-cup. Works better than my machine where I only use 8 oz of water. With the MyJo I will try 10 oz since it seems to brew a bit stronger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #30

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
Lol. We don't like dealing with the grounds. Anything liquid, hot, and highly caffeinated will do.
No prob.
Search for these filters for the percolator basket..They work good and disposal is a cinch!< Hint>
There is a hole perforated in the center for the perc tube, and perforated holes at each corner, put filter in basket using the center hole, then add grounds, then fold each corner over and use the corner hole for the perc tube to hold in place,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180513_181853.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	10239  
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #31

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I love French Press coffee or just regular old stove top percolator. The grounds are one of the best things about it.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
How long will the fridge run on propane. I'm getting ready for my first trip where I will be staying at a national park for two days with no hookups. Its a crowded park so I really don't want to run my generator if I can avoid it. We only have one battery right now though. I'll see how this works out and see about adding another one to the series. It looks like there is room for a second battery in the bay.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
How long will the fridge run on propane. I'm getting ready for my first trip where I will be staying at a national park for two days with no hookups. Its a crowded park so I really don't want to run my generator if I can avoid it. We only have one battery right now though. I'll see how this works out and see about adding another one to the series. It looks like there is room for a second battery in the bay.
You'll have more than enough propane for 2 days; your limiting factor will be battery capacity. The fridge needs 12 VDC for control power so if your battery goes dead you will have no fridge. If the fridge was the only 12 VDC load your battery would also be fine for 2 days but you have other DC loads like your water pump, lights, stereo, etc.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #34

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
You should have no problem with propane or one battery in a 2 day stay. We have only one battery and have often gone to several day events with no hookups and may have to run the genny after 2-3 days.

Just be frugal with the lights and other electrical uses. Don't leave the outside light on more than you really need. I installed a small LED bulb in my outside light so it takes almost no current drain. All my interior lights are also LEDs.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #35

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
We get between 2 1/2 to 3 weeks dry camping on the frame mounted tank. On propane the reefer draws slightly less then an amp 24/7. We don't watch T.V. or run the radio. Two LED lights are run about 4 hours per day. A little for the pump. Most cooking is done outside on a portable grill.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
Awesome! I think most of the hardship will be for the wife then. Looks like previous owner switched all the lights to LED so that is nice. She is just going to have to get used to sleeping without a TV on . Need to find a small fan that is low power too.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1526304493
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_fullxfull.793613266_23cz_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	10245  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #38

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I think it's smart to practice drycamping with your RV. It makes you more conscious of it's limitations and teaches you conservation specific to your resources. There will be times when something breaks and you have to do without it for a short time. I tend to carry backups of the things you can't do without...I bought a replacement water pump the day after I purchased our new MH. I carry a portable generator, 20# LP bottle for the grill which can also be tied into the "extend-a-stay" valve I added to the house LP tank plumbing. Dry camping can be fun and mastering the skills can sure save a lot of frustration for the times you find yourself with no other option.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's also kind of smart to keep some basic outdoor skills in your hip pocket...

Like the ability to start a fire without the use of a gallon of gasoline, and your Tee-Shirt!

Knowing how to keep warm, find and make water safe to drink, and even some basic navigation, hunting, and fishing skills; can become pretty darn useful!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #40

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Very correct...I teach preparedness as a side business to churches, small businesses, families, etc. It's a very deep and expanded subject and lots of people don't get it. I could go on and on about other things that go along for the trip but don't wanna pull the plug on this thread. My daughter teaches classes in NC on primitive skills. Amazing how people from all walks of life attend her events. Click this link: (Home) It's all about being prepared!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote