Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
Chicago to Mrytel beach

Any one drive from Chicago to Mrytel beach. We are going in a few weeks. Look for the best route. Are there tolls along the way? Also looking for a over night stop about half way there. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
should be no tolls, other than your Chicagoland area and I80 if you wish to take it to Ohio, but I75 and south should be good all the way to Kentucky at a good stop at Exit 62, Renfro Valley, where there are two good RV parks just down the street...

then thru Knoxville on I40, thru Asheville NC, etc... or your desired route.

or take I65 to Louisville, then I64 to Lexington and I75...

I like I80 all the way to I75 and then south, it may seem 'out of the way', but if time is of the essence, and comfortable driving ahead, this is a good route... no Indy, no Louisville, only Cinci.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We have been there many times and many ways. We love going through the Mountains. We like 65 to Indy, 70 over to Dayton, 35 to Charleston,WV. which is half way for us. $7.50 in tolls on 77 to Winston Salem, from there; depends on if your going North Myrtle or South. We usually stay near Surfside. My favorite place on earth. Enjoy!!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:57 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
We have 2 1/2 days to get there. How is rt 35? Looks like just a two lane road. Also how are the moutain elevations? Thanks again.
We are staying at myrtle beach state park
Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
35 is 4 lane. The mountains are so interesting and beautiful, we haven’t paid much attention to grade or elevation. We have never stayed at the State Park. But have walked to the parks pier, and walked around the campground. Nice gift shop at the pier, with some great ice cream. Your going to love it there.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:56 AM   #6

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
35 in WV is mostly 4 lane, with 2 lane segments where the 4 lane isn't finished. There can be a lot of truck traffic on 35, but for the most part it moves well.