Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Get a Beware of Dog decal and stick it on the outside door window!
Forget the dog, get a beware of owner decal. 😎

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #22

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Cracker Barrel

Never again stayed one off of I-70 in Kentucky between the people begging for gas and just general noise never again also wondered if our coach was going to be safe through the night very shady characters hangings around, Me and Smith & Wesson felt pretty safe
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #23

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Take the money spent on stickers, dogs, & guns & support the local rv parks, those guys are trying to make a living also. Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #24

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I think for most folks, for me anyway, it's not about bypassing RV parks. The cracker barrel type stops are more about the fast stop for a rest quick overnights. It's not so much about destinations where I will certainly choose a CG any day over a parking lot.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #25

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I think for most folks, for me anyway, it's not about bypassing RV parks. The cracker barrel type stops are more about the fast stop for a rest quick overnights. It's not so much about destinations where I will certainly choose a CG any day over a parking lot.
I completely agree. I'd only stay in a parking lot if I'm trying to get somewhere and don't have time to enjoy CG's, just want to get some sleep for safe driving. A lot of CG's don't like late check ins either, plus I wouldn't want to disturb those already set up and sleeping.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
After you check out the Overnight Parking App if you are still nervous about the location or space in the lot to navigate, type the street address into Maps and change to satellite view. You should be able to zoom down to a level that you can look it over completely. You can even do that with gas stations if you plan your fuel stops. Alleviates the nervousness that some feel if pulling a toad.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #27

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Never again stayed one off of I-70 in Kentucky between the people begging for gas and just general noise never again also wondered if our coach was going to be safe through the night very shady characters hangings around, Me and Smith & Wesson felt pretty safe

That is the kind of information that can be found on the overnightRVparking app and website. The webmaster takes reports from subscribers and updates the site regularly. We have stayed at CBs in several states and never found anything we felt unsafe or noisy.

You must have been waaay off I-70 to be in Kentucky. Did you mean I-71, if you are referring to the CB near LaGrange, KY, the data on that one warns about noise from I-71.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Overnite Parking Locations

We've stayed in Wal-Marts, Cracker Barrels, and similar locations, but for just quick rest stops, nothing beats pulling into a Loves or Pilot or other truck stop for a few hours. Parking, gas, bathrooms, and a quick breakfast are all available. We just did a 7000 mile trip to the West Coast and back and spent several nights in Loves facilities. They are usually cleaner and in better shape than Pilot/Flying J.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 35SB
THOR #5426
Send a message via Skype™ to nite71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Take the money spent on stickers, dogs, & guns & support the local rv parks, those guys are trying to make a living also. Just my .02 cents.
I'm not about dissing local RV parks but I can guarantee you they're not going to get my wife's pet money and I sure as heck am not going to give up any of my gun money![emoji2]

Now, with that being said, we rarely stay in a parking lot of a Walmart or restaurant for that matter. As most everyone else states parking lots are good for a quick overnight.

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
nite71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #30
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite71 View Post
I'm not about dissing local RV parks but I can guarantee you they're not going to get my wife's pet money and I sure as heck am not going to give up any of my gun money![emoji2]

Now, with that being said, we rarely stay in a parking lot of a Walmart or restaurant for that matter. As most everyone else states parking lots are good for a quick overnight.
sooooooo ... where do you stay if you don't stay in parking lots or RV parks?
...do you boondock all the time ?

We are senior citizens ... and quite frankly, at this stage in our life we do not feel comfortable in the wilderness, anymore...alone...it is the sad truth.
We do not do without when it comes to those items you referenced.

It is all a matter of choices...and as long as we ALL enjoy the RV experience...that is all that matters.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #31

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
small RV parks should set up a low cost, easy pay, quick in and out, no hook up parking facility for the "sleep and dashers." Separated from the campers so I can run the generator if need be.

I just need about 6 hours of rest. No desire to check in, make a reservation, give lots of contact info, drive to a hard to reach parking spot next to someone wanting to spend their time without hearing me at midnight.

Maybe this is something conveniently located motels should do with their parking lots.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
small RV parks should set up a low cost, easy pay, quick in and out, no hook up parking facility for the "sleep and dashers." Separated from the campers so I can run the generator if need be.

I just need about 6 hours of rest. No desire to check in, make a reservation, give lots of contact info, drive to a hard to reach parking spot next to someone wanting to spend their time without hearing me at midnight.

Maybe this is something conveniently located motels should do with their parking lots.
If I'm paying a RV park I ain't running my generator. The cost of running a generator overnight to run the AC is about the cost of a cheap Passport America park so it's an "OR" situation. Either I'm in a free parking lot running the generator or a paid spot connected to their electric. Not an "AND" situation in my book.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #33

Model: Chateau 35SB
THOR #5426
Send a message via Skype™ to nite71
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
sooooooo ... where do you stay if you don't stay in parking lots or RV parks?
...do you boondock all the time ?

We are senior citizens ... and quite frankly, at this stage in our life we do not feel comfortable in the wilderness, anymore...alone...it is the sad truth.
We do not do without when it comes to those items you referenced.

It is all a matter of choices...and as long as we ALL enjoy the RV experience...that is all that matters.
I'm sorry as I may have misrepresented myself. We will usually stay in an RV park, we will utilize parking lots only if necessary. We prefer the hookups, even for a short stop.

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
nite71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think it would be a good idea for a campground to offer "transient" overnight spots with electric (would have to offer them with electric--electric would be enough incentive for people to use them instead of the local Wal-Mart).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:50 AM   #35
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I think it would be a good idea for a campground to offer "transient" overnight spots with electric (would have to offer them with electric--electric would be enough incentive for people to use them instead of the local Wal-Mart).
I'd be happy to use a space like that.. I tend to use the Walmarts partly because of either getting in late - or more often leaving very early the next morning... and I know that would be disruptive to the campers I ended up around...
But a section with an easy pull in, quick electric hookup, and knowing those nearby are doing the same thing I am - would be a good fit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #36

Model: Windsport 31z
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Yes that about covers it. Except I think an NRA sticker works far better than a Glock sticker....

But seriously.... just beware that looks are deceiving. It may be well lit, and a nice parking lot, but still not in the best neighborhood. As long as you keep the door locked and aren't out wondering around at all hours of the night you'll likely be fine. And if you find yourself still really paranoid then consider installing some motion sensors in key areas to use when you stop for the night. You can get just the lights or lights with alarms...

Battery - Outdoor Flood & Spot Lights - Outdoor Security Lighting - The Home Depot

I added one like this for parking lot stays. Made it so I can remove it when traveling. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1503250291.129340.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	6436Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1503250325.044213.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	6437
Old 08-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #37

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
For those of you who have stayed overnight at CB would you recommend it? Did you feel safe staying there?
Just on the off-chance that you have access... Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma city has an excellent and inexpensive Campground
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #38

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I haven't felt the need to install these on our coach, but used them in a couple strategic locations on our home. They are small, put out a ton of light, good size lithium battery for long "on" time and easy to install anywhere. They also have a couple different modes for use. Off, until tripped from motion. On, with a dim light all night, then full power if it detects motion.
https://www.amazon.com/ARILUX-Weathe...r%2Blight&th=1
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #39

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The summer trip we just returned from involved staying in just over 20 private campgrounds. Most were pretty good and priced fairly. However, there were several dumps that charged over $40 a night that were simply taking advantage of RV travelers. Owner's of RV campgrounds are like any other business owners, there are good ones and bad ones. Feeling an obligation to support them in any way is not on my radar.

That being said, we rarely overnight in WM or CB. We are more of the travel 300 miles and stop by 3pm type of travelers. However there have been occasions when we needed to make up some time and go further.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #40

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
If I'm paying a RV park I ain't running my generator. The cost of running a generator overnight to run the AC is about the cost of a cheap Passport America park so it's an "OR" situation. Either I'm in a free parking lot running the generator or a paid spot connected to their electric. Not an "AND" situation in my book.
$10 without electic
$20 with electric

I am a stop at midnight, leave at 6am traveler. Sometimes less stoppage time than that. A lot depends on how people travel, my preference is

#1 - destination
#2 - journey
#3 - home

If half way to my destination is desirable to me, then I would have made that part of my destination, if not, then I dont want to be there any longer than I have to.