Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Headed up to Eastern Oregon

I am taking my first long distance trip in my Axis next month. I live in the Texas panhandle and am planning to go up through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho and finally into Oregon to settle just West of Baker City for my motorcycle club meeting. I am going to be driving straight up to the meet, but am planning on taking a little more time coming back. I was wondering if there are some "must see" places on my way back through Idaho and Utah? I'd prefer to be in mountainous areas vs. baking in the desert heat, but would love to hear any suggestions you folks may have. Thank you.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserdude67 View Post
I was wondering if there are some "must see" places on my way back through Idaho and Utah? I'd prefer to be in mountainous areas vs. baking in the desert heat, but would love to hear any suggestions you folks may have. Thank you.
Since I live in NE Oregon, I am very familiar with this part of the NW. Southern Idaho is a hot, boring drive along I-84. Here is one route that will keep you further north while heading east towards Utah and more in the mountains.

From Baker City, Hwy 86 to Halfway, Oxbow, Then 71 to Cambridge, ID, 95 North to New Meadows, 55 to McCall and Donelly to north of Banks, 17 to Garden Valley, Lowman. 21 to Stanley, ID. 75 south through Sun Valley to 26 and east past Craters of the Moon to Blackfoot. I-15 south to Utah.

The last part is into the hot dry part of southern Idaho, but to get into Utah, its unavoidable. A lot of this route is pretty mountainous and windy.

Be aware of the eclipse on 8/21, the roads and camping are predicted to be a real mess.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I am taking my first long distance trip in my Axis next month. I live in the Texas panhandle and am planning to go up through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho and finally into Oregon to settle just West of Baker City for my motorcycle club meeting. I am going to be driving straight up to the meet, but am planning on taking a little more time coming back. I was wondering if there are some "must see" places on my way back through Idaho and Utah? I'd prefer to be in mountainous areas vs. baking in the desert heat, but would love to hear any suggestions you folks may have. Thank you.
Utah has so much to offer...your best guide would be go google Utah attractions and plan your trip accordingly. You cannot make a mistake on any of the magnificent scenery !
If you are coming down to NM via 4 Corner area...there is Mesa Verde in SW Colorado...(much more if you are taking a different route) .. in northern NM there is Santa Fe, Taos, Eagles Nest, Red River etc.
If passing thru Tucumcari, take in the old portion of US 66 .. it is arguably the best portion of 66 left.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

THOR #6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Since I live in NE Oregon, I am very familiar with this part of the NW. Southern Idaho is a hot, boring drive along I-84. Here is one route that will keep you further north while heading east towards Utah and more in the mountains.

From Baker City, Hwy 86 to Halfway, Oxbow, Then 71 to Cambridge, ID, 95 North to New Meadows, 55 to McCall and Donelly to north of Banks, 17 to Garden Valley, Lowman. 21 to Stanley, ID. 75 south through Sun Valley to 26 and east past Craters of the Moon to Blackfoot. I-15 south to Utah.

The last part is into the hot dry part of southern Idaho, but to get into Utah, its unavoidable. A lot of this route is pretty mountainous and windy.

Be aware of the eclipse on 8/21, the roads and camping are predicted to be a real mess.
Wow! What a drive. I just traced that out on Google Maps and I think I'll need some Dramamine just to handle all of the curves! Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Utah has so much to offer...your best guide would be go google Utah attractions and plan your trip accordingly. You cannot make a mistake on any of the magnificent scenery !
If you are coming down to NM via 4 Corner area...there is Mesa Verde in SW Colorado...(much more if you are taking a different route) .. in northern NM there is Santa Fe, Taos, Eagles Nest, Red River etc.
If passing thru Tucumcari, take in the old portion of US 66 .. it is arguably the best portion of 66 left.
I haven't ever been to the Four Corners area, but I've always wanted to see Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, etc. As for Northern New Mexico, that is basically the playground for our region. I've been all over the Enchanted Circle since I can even remember. It is a beautiful area only about 5 hours from home and is truly one of my favorite places on Earth. We took the Axis on its maiden voyage up to Red River just last June and thoroughly enjoyed it. We go to Taos whenever we are in the area. My wife is enjoying a little personal time in Santa Fe right now. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Wow! What a drive. I just traced that out on Google Maps and I think I'll need some Dramamine just to handle all of the curves! Thank you for the suggestion!

I haven't ever been to the Four Corners area, but I've always wanted to see Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, etc. As for Northern New Mexico, that is basically the playground for our region. I've been all over the Enchanted Circle since I can even remember. It is a beautiful area only about 5 hours from home and is truly one of my favorite places on Earth. We took the Axis on its maiden voyage up to Red River just last June and thoroughly enjoyed it. We go to Taos whenever we are in the area. My wife is enjoying a little personal time in Santa Fe right now. Thank you for the suggestions.
Awesome ! If you get to the 4 Corners area..while in Utah/AZ be sure to drive Monument Valley ! However, you will not be disappointed in any of Utah...I could go on and on.
I have not been to Chaco Canyon since I was young...my folks were NM adventurers...we covered the State and I am so thankful for that. I have family in Rio Rancho and we are planning on doing Chaco next summer if not sooner. I have read that the roads into Chaco can be tricky and not well maintained. We are thinking of renting a jeep.
Have not been to Bandelier for many years....since before the forest fire made a mess of it. I have heard that access to the cliff houses is restricted now...when I was a kid, we climbed all over Bandelier...great memories...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #6

THOR #6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Awesome ! If you get to the 4 Corners area..while in Utah/AZ be sure to drive Monument Valley ! However, you will not be disappointed in any of Utah...I could go on and on.
I have not been to Chaco Canyon since I was young...my folks were NM adventurers...we covered the State and I am so thankful for that. I have family in Rio Rancho and we are planning on doing Chaco next summer if not sooner. I have read that the roads into Chaco can be tricky and not well maintained. We are thinking of renting a jeep.
Have not been to Bandelier for many years....since before the forest fire made a mess of it. I have heard that access to the cliff houses is restricted now...when I was a kid, we climbed all over Bandelier...great memories...
It's been a while since I've been back in Bandelier, too. Haven't done much around the Valles Calderas area but would love to. Maybe the wife and I can take our 4Runner and go exploring some time. As far as doing anything west of there, I flew out to St. George, UT recently and drove a new company truck back for my job. It was the first time I've ever been in that part of the country and I must say that I was thrilled to see it.
I'll be heading up 550 from Bernalillo up to Cortez. I've never been through there, either, but I am excited to see the countryside.
My mother says that I used to be the most annoying child to be stuck in a car with, until we got into the mountains. At that point I was just stare out the windows in awe and enjoy the scenery. I'm pretty much still like that.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Wow! What a drive. I just traced that out on Google Maps and I think I'll need some Dramamine just to handle all of the curves!
That cracks me up ... I know that route and is typical of the roads and general areas we pick to travel most, this time of year! The good news is you never have time for boredom to set in while driving
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
It's been a while since I've been back in Bandelier, too. Haven't done much around the Valles Calderas area but would ,,
I'll be heading up 550 from Bernalillo up to Cortez. I've never been through there, either, but I am excited to see the countryside.
550 from Bernalillo to Farmington is different...some of the areas are a lot of red clay, and red rock .. to me it is not too exciting .. possibly been on that particular road too much.
again, from many years ago.one of my folks most favorite areas, near to Albuq. was Jemez Springs and that area. It has changed a lot in 60 + years....
enjoyed hearing your excitement regarding THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT ..
keep us posted on your travels !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #6123
Headed up to eastern Oregon

We're going to be in Baker City on Aug 21 for the eclipse. When are you planning to be up there?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #10

THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier1 View Post
We're going to be in Baker City on Aug 21 for the eclipse. When are you planning to be up there?
Do you have reservations or a camping space? Word is everything is booked up around here.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #11

THOR #6123

We have a site booked in an RV Park just outside of Baker City. Booked the reservation 18 months ago. Also, we'll be bringing the Harley so we have some mobility in case of clouds.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #12

THOR #7634
Quote:
We have a site booked in an RV Park just outside of Baker City. Booked the reservation 18 months ago. Also, we'll be bringing the Harley so we have some mobility in case of clouds.
Good planning. If you ride to Unity, OR or Huntington, OR you get a bit longer darkness. The ride to Unity on Hwy 245 is fun, lots of curves.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

THOR #6123

Thanks for the tip - may just try that, depending on how crowded the roads are. Locals tell me they are expecting 50,000+ people!!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

THOR #6698
Quote:
I'll be up there the week before the eclipse. My motorcycle club is meeting in Sumpter that weekend. I'll be back home in the flatlands by the time the eclipse rolls around.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Trip to Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Thor builds crap and everyone knows it.
Just returned from a very nice trip to Disneyland in my "piece of crap" Thor.

Must of been a fluke but the Coach ran great... yet again! Unfortunately the gas mileage doesn't seem to have changed but it seems to run stronger now that I've turned over 10,000 miles. Anybody else experience this?
A couple things I wanted to share. First, fill up before you cross into California. I filled up in Phoenix before I left at $1.99 and was greeted in Ca with $3.29. You can find it cheaper but it was right around $3 anywhere we went. That said at least a little of that tax money is making its way to the roads (vs social programs). Much of the I-10 has been resurfaced and it was a pretty nice ride much of the way to Palm Springs and beyond. We stayed at the Anaheim RV park, where we've stayed numerous times. Very clean and nice full hookup little park. Not a lot of room between sites but who cares, your at Disneyland! A shuttle runs from the park every 20 minutes or so and your there in 5 minutes. Also wanted to say... if you've ever ridden Tower of Terror you must ride Guardians of the Universe. Now one of the best rides in either Disneyland or California adventures. Thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214
Unfortunately the gas mileage doesn't seem to have changed but it seems to run stronger now that I've turned over 10,000 miles. Anybody else experience this?
Yup a very common thing with the V-10 (look in the V-10 topic on ford-trucks.com there is a lot of discussion about the engine picking up a mpg or so around the 10,000 mile mark). No one was sure if it was programmed into the engine computer (I think the dealers state that there isn't anything there) or that is when the engine is finally broken in.

Both my F-250 and F-350 with V-10's experienced that...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #17

State: Utah
THOR #7797
I too experienced better MPH after about 15000 miles

9 mpg on the flat at 65 mph little wind, up one after about the 15000 mile mark.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yup a very common thing with the V-10 (look in the V-10 topic on ford-trucks.com there is a lot of discussion about the engine picking up a mpg or so around the 10,000 mile mark). No one was sure if it was programmed into the engine computer (I think the dealers state that there isn't anything there) or that is when the engine is finally broken in.

Both my F-250 and F-350 with V-10's experienced that...
We are a little over 15k on our 2016, and we were commenting on our return home this weekend, that the engine seemed stronger/smoother and possibly quieter (wishful thinking) .. and, transmission has gotten 'smarter', so to speak.
On our trips this summer, we have not checked gas mileage...might be interesting to find out if we are over 10 !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
V-10 Mileage and A/C

Just wondering if anyone has been counseled regarding running the generator and coach A/C while driving to increase the MPG a bit. A new service center that I have the coach at for some painting issues just talked about it. He said that the dash A/C works 100% of the time when it is warm instead of cycling off and on like in a car. Running the coach A/C cools it down enough that the chassis A/C doesn't have to work as hard. Guess I never really thought about this aspect.

The other minor issue is that you don't have to worry about the open flame issue of the refrigerator when refueling.