Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Florida Everglades Flamingo Park info for November

Taking a trip to FL for thanksgiving week. Plan is to stay over by Jupiter FL then looking for something else on the other side but all sites looked booked on reserveamerica.com but the Flamingo site is wide open. I mean it looks like no sites are booked at all. Why?
Looks like a interesting place. I will be toting my 23' boat and there is a boat launch there to explore florida bay.

Why is it so empty? are bugs really bad that time of year. Weather.. gators?? just curious.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
It has been a few years since I was camping there and IIRC, there are no hookups where I camped. There were water faucets near the bathrooms and a dump station. I guess you would class the sites as primitive. If you go around Thanksgiving, it may be tolerable without AC. We camped there in Feb. and it was quite comfortable.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Flamingo camping

It's not the bugs. The campground is a long way from anywhere. Crocs abound in the marina area, and the boat tours are cool, but the place is spartan at best. When I was there last the deferred maintenance that has hurt the National Parks for years was clear everywhere. Neat for a daytrip, but I would not want to stay more than one night.
You are heading south from Jupiter--do you want the Keys? Jolly Roger near Marathon usually has availability. There are also some spots on Grassy Key. Two big campgrounds, one on Fiesta Key, the other near Pigeon Key should also have a site. The public ones will be full--they book well in advance. You might catch a cancellation at Pennycamp (Key Largo) or Bahia Honda if you stalk the ReserveAmerica site.
If you want you can PM me with more of your travel details and I will try to provide more options.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Those popular Florida state park campgrounds reservations are hard to get, especially in the winter months, weekends and holidays. Suggest you widen your search to private cgs on sites like gocampingamerica.com or AllStays.com
One winter, we ended up in a mobile home park in West Palm Beach with last minute reservations, and it was not far from marinas and beaches. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Flamingo is a great place to stay, it will be busy over Thanksgiving. Also there will be mosquitoes and there is an additional $3 launch fee for the boat. Payable at the entrance station.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
IMHO the "reserveamerica" site is worthless, all sites everywhere are always full, especially on weekends regardless of how early you try to book a site.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
IMHO the "reserveamerica" site is worthless, all sites everywhere are always full, especially on weekends regardless of how early you try to book a site.
Have to agree with you. When it works its good. I think they can only have so many sites available and leave some for walk ins. Not sure but its ridiculous to find so many empty spots when you show up and its supposedly full.