Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Garden State Parkway

I haven't driven the GSP in a number of years and I'm wondering if it's still allowed to drive an RV there? I remember many years ago taking the GSP from southern NJ up to RT287 to go over the Tappen Zee Bridge and I'm hoping that that route is still available.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

State: Delaware
THOR #6392
Yes you can take motorhomes on GPS. Trucks heading north need to exit at 105 eatontown exit. I drove the GPS with motorhome north of 105 exit many times with no problem. I had a Garmin RV gps that didn't know that. Come to find out it was actually truck software in a RV gps.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #3

State: New Hampshire
THOR #6714
Garden State Parkway in NJ

Looking for some advise. I'm getting ready to take a trip from New Hampshire to Philly and was wondering if you can still take your motor home on the GSP once you travel over the Tappen Z bridge. I drove the GSP years ago but it seems like some of the toll booths are getting smaller.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #7179
I suggest you get an EZ Pass. The GSP has electronic toll readers so no stopping
Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
I am a retired Garden State Parkway Supervisor.You can drive your motor home the length of the road.Once you get past exit 105. Your gps will tell you that you are over the weight limit.Ignore it.When you get to the mile 130 area,watch for overhead height postings for the old stone overpasses.Keep in the center lane. I believe the lowest height is one of the southbound bridges at 11ft 3 in in the right lane.Busses travel the entire parkway so you should have no problems.Have fun and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the GSP.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

State: New Hampshire
THOR #6714
Will the rv fit through the tolls ok
Old 08-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that your Vegas is about 11' tall.
That should leave you with plenty of room; but you STILL have to keep aware of what you're driving into!

Would it be considered "Bad From"; if I were to mention that while I was serving out my Collegiate sentence in Lawrencevile, NJ: we re-named the State: "The Garbage State"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
You can fit through the tolls with no problem.I have an Axis and have driven the entire length dozens of times with no problem.The height with air conditioner on Axis Vegas is 11ft 3in according to Thor specs.I have never actually measured it though.The toll lanes on the right side are slightly wider to accommodate busses,but if you have ez pass you can use the left higher speed lanes which were recently installed with absolutely no problems.As I mentioned in my previous post,beware of the right lane southbound arch bridges.One of Them is listed at 11 ft 3in height .If you stay in the center lane you are fine.These old style bridges are only in the northern section of the Parkway between mileposts 173 down to milepost 130 or so.Beyond that you are smooth sailing an will not have any toll problems anywhere on the road,although I strongly suggest getting ez pass to make life simpler!

Tags
garden state parkway, tappen zee bridge