Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
"onn tablets" are no longer available and why would I waste my money on a 2 star tablet?
I guess I expect you to extrapolate data and adjust as required.
I guess too much sometimes.

Your input was worthless.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-10-1-...RoCFGEQAvD_BwE
5 stars from me as a rv tool.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:29 AM   #22

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

One thing you may learn the hard way is this community is about helping each other. Your statement doesn't seem to support that. Good luck out here.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:57 AM   #23

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
One thing you may learn the hard way is this community is about helping each other. Your statement doesn't seem to support that. Good luck out here.
Not to argue, and I'll not comment past this post.

He said it wasn't available, my link proves it is.
I gave it five stars for an rv,not the two stars he said.
He offered no alternative, no relevance.
A productive: 'onn isn't the best choice for the money, the $115 Bennie is so much better'
wouldn't have illicited anything but a 'thank you' from me.

I was caused to check myself to see if I was wrong.
I wasn't.
I found no fact in his statement and didn't want it to mislead others as to availability or viability as an rv tool.

I took the time to do a review, pictures, true statements and proofs in my initial post.
It's what I expect from others.
I wasn't selling specifically Onn, torque or waze. I was selling a better process and making example based on proven facts I know.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 AM   #24

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
...It's what I expect from others.
It was your closing statement and what I, and others in this forum, expect from one another that prompted my response. Thanks for your clarification and safe travels.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #25

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
So here is an update:
I confirmed with Garmin chat support that they know this is an issue and have not corrected it yet.

I confirmed with email support that they know this is an issue, blamed the map maker, and said they don't know when it will be corrected and will not be part of the 2020.30 update (which apparently is the next update).

I added the Taconic State Parkway as a highway to avoid. I then I planned a trip that would typically force the route on the Taconic and it did avoid it.

Fast forward a few days, last night I started to plan a trip into CT for this weekend. (will be my first time boondocking). And guess what? Sure enough, even though the Taconic is marked as 'to avoid', the primary route included the Taconic. The secondary route, which is shorter in time and miles, did not include the Taconic. I am going to use it on the trip just to see what happens. I know how to get there on the Interstate so I should not have a routing problem.

Confidence in this unit is dropping rapidly. I am going to explore the tablet option mentioned.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-10-1-...RoCFGEQAvD_BwE
5 stars from me as a rv tool.
Not available on Amazon
Not available from your link to Walmart:

Two star review average on Digital Trends among aother places:

So where was I misleading again?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:59 AM   #27

THOR #16600
So the unit took me from home to the place I will be for the weekend. It did reboot itself mid trip. Otherwise it did its job and did not route me to parkways.

I told me about 25 times that the propane needs to be off since I am in NY. I am not sure why it felt the need to tell me that many times.

I need to figure out how to turn off the phone call part, i use the rig radio for that. I think the GPS and the radio were fighting each other.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #28

State: New Jersey
THOR #13774
I live in New jersey and we are allowed on the parkway south from around exit 100. So some parkways you can take a motorhome on.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #14550
I might have missed it in all the replies, but two things come to mind.
1. You can tell the 780 to avoid toll roads in routing preferences.
2. We are in Kentucky and have been routed onto 3 parkways, with me thinking they would be toll roads. They were not. So a “parkway” is not necessarily a toll road. I had selected avoid toll roads and so far it has done that.
Hope you get it straightened out.
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #30

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
So here is an update:
I confirmed with Garmin chat support that they know this is an issue and have not corrected it yet.

I confirmed with email support that they know this is an issue, blamed the map maker, and said they don't know when it will be corrected and will not be part of the 2020.30 update (which apparently is the next update).

I added the Taconic State Parkway as a highway to avoid. I then I planned a trip that would typically force the route on the Taconic and it did avoid it.

Fast forward a few days, last night I started to plan a trip into CT for this weekend. (will be my first time boondocking). And guess what? Sure enough, even though the Taconic is marked as 'to avoid', the primary route included the Taconic. The secondary route, which is shorter in time and miles, did not include the Taconic. I am going to use it on the trip just to see what happens. I know how to get there on the Interstate so I should not have a routing problem.

Confidence in this unit is dropping rapidly. I am going to explore the tablet option mentioned.
Don’t go down the Merrit Parkway in Ct. it is beautiful, but you will take the tip of your RV off on the low bridges. Commercial vehicles are not allowed on parkways in Ct, but the Merrit was built in 1933-35 when the only non-commercial vehicles were cars.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:24 AM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So the unit took me from home to the place I will be for the weekend. It did reboot itself mid trip. Otherwise it did its job and did not route me to parkways.

I told me about 25 times that the propane needs to be off since I am in NY. I am not sure why it felt the need to tell me that many times.

I need to figure out how to turn off the phone call part, i use the rig radio for that. I think the GPS and the radio were fighting each other.
You do that on your phone. Got into the bluetooth profile for the 780 on the phone and turn off phone calls and probably media sharing (music) for the Garmin. Make sure those items are turned on for the profile for the coach radio.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:35 AM   #32

Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
We bought the Garmin RV 780. It arrived last night. Messing with it today, it is routing me to parkways which is a no-no for RVs. We assumed this unit would route us to acceptable roads. What am I missing?

I have had pretty good success with the Rand McNally RV GPS sold by Camping World. I have had bad experiences With Garmin Automotive GPS in car travel, so I am reluctant to trust their products.
The biggest problem with the Rand McNally products is the they age out and stop being reliable after 5-6 years of use. I replaced my first one when that happened. I have had the Rand McNally warn me about high centers, low overhead clearances, road weight limits and other large vehicle issues. I have never driven my RVs in the North Eastern US, so I can't say that the parkway issue would be avoided. These units are based on the Rand McNally Truckers GPS and programmed using their Truckers Guide, so they should.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #33

THOR #16600
So I used it to go from Poughkeepsie NY to Thompson CT. It is specifically set to avoid the Taconic. On the way out, it avoided the Taconic. It did reboot about half way during the trip and picked up where it left off. On the way back, it routed me to the Taconic even though it is set to avoid. It did want to to leave the interstate at an exit only to get right back on as posted in a picture earlier.

So, this unit is going back. Guess I will give Rand a try next.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So I used it to go from Poughkeepsie NY to Thompson CT. It is specifically set to avoid the Taconic. On the way out, it avoided the Taconic. It did reboot about half way during the trip and picked up where it left off. On the way back, it routed me to the Taconic even though it is set to avoid. It did want to to leave the interstate at an exit only to get right back on as posted in a picture earlier.

So, this unit is going back. Guess I will give Rand a try next.
Your unit is defective. You have twice said it rebooted itself in the middle of a trip. That should never happen - it has serious issues besides the Garmin routing flaws. Smart move to return it.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:58 AM   #35

State: Nevada
THOR #4729
Quote:
We bought the Garmin RV 780. It arrived last night. Messing with it today, it is routing me to parkways which is a no-no for RVs. We assumed this unit would route us to acceptable roads. What am I missing?
Former NY RVer here. There’s no place else in the country more RV unfriendly then the NYC area. Seems a Pkwy isn’t really known as a no RV zone most other places. After inputting your height, you still will need common sense to work around any GPS there. I used Rand McNally without much good luck.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #36

THOR #12610
magellan roadmate

I thought my garmin was not up to using for RV use so I shopped and found a good deal on Magellan roadmate. It worked well on small trip. Later I used update feature before a longer trip. It failed measurably , took me off interstate all around a small town driving around a Dairy queen then back on highway. Next day started out on small secondary roads to a cul de sac with a toad I had to unhook and regroup in rain. Trip home it wanted me to drive into any city or state park. Calls to Magellan no help. One rep told me that any user can use their trip to reroute traffic around issues like closed roads and maybe someone pranked the routes I was using. I tried another update no better. The only trip it took correctly was to our local landfill. Bad memory at best.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #37

THOR #16600
The unit has been returned.

I am going to wait till the spring to purchase something.

In the meantime, I have been communicating with Rand. Waiting for them to figure out if their units avoid parkways
Old 10-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #38

THOR #16600
Back and forth with Rand over the past week or so via email support. They went from "it should avoid the parkways" to "we dont have enough information to answer your question".

RV Wizard, though a pain to get into Maps seems to work well.

Downloaded the Co Pilot app this morning. Going to bring the rig to Camping World this week. I will try the app then but it seems to be able to do what Garmin and Rand can't.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #39

THOR #13932
If you post a trip that includes the offending parkway, in a new seperate thread, I'll guess about 50 of us will try 30 different programs/maps, checking on avoidance of that parkway.

Open new thread (this one is contaminated with off center stuff)
Post a route
Ask for help
Get the right program or unit.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 AM   #40

THOR #16600
Had my hands on. Rand today. Routed me to a parkway, as expected.

I used Copilot today. It worked perfectly! It seems to have all the bells and whistles that the purpose built unit have expect it actually keeps me off the parkways. Plus at $30 a year, it will take me 14 years of this app to equal the cost of the gps units.