Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I saw another Vegas today. It was a 24.1 parked in the lot of County Fair Food Stores in Mitchel South Dakota. I waited for a while. But if you haven't heard, there is a heatwave in the plains. I left to turn on the air conditioning in my own Vegas.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #82

THOR #2271
I've made it to Buffalo River State Park. It is in Glyndon, MN, just east of Fargo ND. Not only is there another Vegas here. But it is a 25.2. The owner's name is Loren from Denver CO. Nice chap. We chatted for a while.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #83

THOR #2271
Well folks, I'm in Sac City Iowa for 3 weeks and then Lincoln Nebraska for the eclipse.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #84

THOR #2271
Continuing with my travels. One of the highlights of visiting my friends in Sac City Iowa, was that we decided to go to the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines. Picture 1 shows a cow carved out of butter.

Once I left Iowa, I headed for the Wisconsin Dells. From there I've dropped down to Madison Wisconsin to lay over for Labor Day. The second picture is the state capital building. Actually quite nice.

The other day I drove out to Teliesin. This is the Wisconsin home of Frank Lloyd Wright. That is the third picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	6726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	6727  

Name:	IMG_2684.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	6728  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #85

THOR #2271
Yesterday, I went to one of the Thor manufacturing plants for a tour. First issue is that the Vegas/Axis factory is not open to tours, So I went to the ACE plant. There is no customer greeting area. Just stay outside at the gate. The tour guides showed up 15 minutes late. And they turned out to be from the marketing department, not manufacturing. Most of the tour was very vanilla and not impressive. They actually do have the wiring built for each individual unit. When I asked about having better diagrams, the guy quickly deflected the question to how the 800 customer service line has improved. It would also be nice if they had a place to buy Thor gifts (sweatshirts, caps, key fobs, etc.) All in all, I was not impressed.

BTW - In the morning, I went to the RV/MH Hall of Fame exhibit. That was very impressive. Some very nice older RVs.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #86

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Yesterday, I went to one of the Thor manufacturing plants for a tour. First issue is that the Vegas/Axis factory is not open to tours, So I went to the ACE plant. There is no customer greeting area. Just stay outside at the gate. The tour guides showed up 15 minutes late. And they turned out to be from the marketing department, not manufacturing. Most of the tour was very vanilla and not impressive. They actually do have the wiring built for each individual unit. When I asked about having better diagrams, the guy quickly deflected the question to how the 800 customer service line has improved. It would also be nice if they had a place to buy Thor gifts (sweatshirts, caps, key fobs, etc.) All in all, I was not impressed.

BTW - In the morning, I went to the RV/MH Hall of Fame exhibit. That was very impressive. Some very nice older RVs.
Good Morning gbrown,
Hope ur having a good trip,sure looks fun. would like to ask u how u like ur
Oxygenics Shower head duz it save water & have a good spray?
have a good trip
regards.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #87

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
would like to ask u how u like ur
Oxygenics Shower head duz it save water & have a good spray?
We love our Oxygenics shower head. It was a wonderful investment... much better spray and seems to save on water a bit better.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #88

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We love our Oxygenics shower head. It was a wonderful investment... much better spray and seems to save on water a bit better.
thank you for the reply
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #89

THOR #2271
Reflections on Five Months, "On The Road". Several people have likened me to the CBS corresponded Charles Kuralt. Coincidently, this morning's "CBS Sunday Morning" had a tribute to him. And you know what, I am starting to feel like that wonderful man. He taught us to love the common American. And on this trip, I have met so many wonderful people from all walks of life. I've learned that the midwest is an amazingly beautiful section of America with corn and soy bean fields spanning the horizon. These farmers are the salt of the earth.

And now I start another phase of my journey. It has always been a Bucket List item to see New England in the fall. Tommorow I start a quick trip across New York to end up in Montpelier, Vermont.

Bring it On!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #90

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Reflections on Five Months, "On The Road". Several people have likened me to the CBS corresponded Charles Kuralt. Coincidently, this morning's "CBS Sunday Morning" had a tribute to him. And you know what, I am starting to feel like that wonderful man. He taught us to love the common American. And on this trip, I have met so many wonderful people from all walks of life. I've learned that the midwest is an amazingly beautiful section of America with corn and soy bean fields spanning the horizon. These farmers are the salt of the earth.

And now I start another phase of my journey. It has always been a Bucket List item to see New England in the fall. Tommorow I start a quick trip across New York to end up in Montpelier, Vermont.

Bring it On!

You even sort of look like Charles Kuralt so they you go. I'm getting very close to finding a buyer for my townhome, and If close soon, I will buy a 25 foot trailer i'm looking at be on the road for a while. You inspired me.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #91

THOR #2271
I'm skirting through upstate New York. Tomorrow I leave for Vermont. Fall in New England has always been on my bucket list. Notice the hint of Fall in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2890.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	6880  
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #92

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Hey Gerry, got any pics and recommended place to stay in New England area so far?
Old 09-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #93

THOR #2271
I am staying at a place called Abel Mountain Campgrounds outside of Randolph Vermont. The place is nice. But I'm a tecky. No cellphone reception and their WiFi is metered. They will kick you off if you stream too much. Thursday, I move to a KOA in New Hampshire. I'll post some pics later. New England is stunningly beautiful. The leaves are just starting to turn.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #94

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: New York
THOR #4585
Just a note to thank you for writing about your travels & posting the pictures. I find it very enjoyable.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #95

THOR #2271
Here are some photos from Vermont. The first was taken in Stowe. If you go to Vermont, do not miss taking Highway 118 over Smuggler's Notch. The second was taken at Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2961 copy.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	6974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922 copy.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	6975  

Old 09-26-2017, 02:21 AM   #96

THOR #2271
Today I spent the day touring the Franconia Notch in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. This is picture of the famous covered bridge at the Flume Gorge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bridge,jpg.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	7133  
Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #97

THOR #2271
"This pothole is perhaps the most remarkable curiosity of its kind in New England”. - Henry David Thoreau, Sep 1839
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pond.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	7138  
Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #98

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:

Bring it On!
Gerry,

You been in the Axis a long time now. How is it as a place to live for a year? I'm getting ready to pull the pin. House is for sale and people are taking my flyers. One of these days, i'm going to be Axis mobile. Thanks. Dave
Old 10-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #99

THOR #2271
So far so good. The best part is that I find that I am not claustrophobic in the rig on rainy days. The DISH satellite helps. The unlimited Verizon helps.

I have discovered that there is an abundance of information available from local folks. Tonight I was at the Happy Hour at the local Elks Lodge. Someone told me of a place down the block that had killer clam cakes. And they were.

Also, other RVers are another good source of info.

All in all, pull the plug and get mobile.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #100

THOR #2271
One of the Maine (pun intended) items on my bucket list was to see New England in the fall.

I have made it to the Bar Harbor area of Maine at the Acadia National Park. The first picture is looking down on Bar Harbor from the top of Cadillac Mountain. The other is just some gorgeous fall colors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3300.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	7377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1107.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	7378