Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Gerry's Full-Time Adventure

Yesterday was my 70th Birthday. To celebrate, I got in my rig, "Sinatra" and got the heck out of Dodge. I've been preparing for several months. My personal stuff went into storage. My furniture went to Goodwill. And I started on my adventure to look for America. My first stop is Yreka, CA on my way up to the Olympic Peninsula. I have stops along the way to visit friends and family. Then I head east. The only future reservation is on August 21 for the full eclipse. I highly recommend that you reserve your camping spots now. Many RV parks are already full for that weekend.

This first stop is at Wiiaka RV Park in Yreka CA. It's a good campground that I have used several times before while driving into Oregon. It was 7 hours from where I used to live. And 7 hours is a long drive.

I plan on using this thread to document my journey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	4546  

Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Very cool! Have fun and stay safe.

We're also doing a camping trip to see the Eclipse (reserved everything for it last year so we'd be covered). For our viewing I signed up with a group that is renting a bus so that they can drive (up to 100 miles) to stay away from any wx that may be blocking the view.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Looking forward to following your travels. Have fun - enjoy - travel safe.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Have a great trip. We are heading out there next week Illinois to SF then up to Seattle. Safe Travels.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Hope you have a Great trip and lots of FUN!!! Happy Birthday!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Happy Birthday and happy travels! You are off on a great adventure, enjoy the journey!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #7

THOR #2271
I'm in Cave Junction, OR for a few days. I've been told that the Oregon Caves are a must see. I'm at the Country Hills Resortr RV Park. It is beautiful and has water and power (and a dump station). The downside is that I only have 1X connectivity and no WiFi. So no pics until I return to civilization.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:56 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I'm in Cave Junction, OR for a few days. I've been told that the Oregon Caves are a must see. I'm at the Country Hills Resortr RV Park. It is beautiful and has water and power (and a dump station). The downside is that I only have 1X connectivity and no WiFi. So no pics until I return to civilization.
There is a store there, forget the name, that sells all kinds of sandwich meats, smoked sausage, cheese and other items that is worth checking out.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Contact Us Here it is! Taylor's Sausage
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #10

THOR #2271

I already found it and had their sausage for dinner. Cave Junction is not a big city.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #11

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Have a great trip. We are heading out there next week Illinois to SF then up to Seattle. Safe Travels.
When we were full time one of our favorite runs out west was from Illinois (visiting kids) to SF, up the coast through Oregon to Seattle. Set up in a CG just north of Seattle that offered short term storage and caught a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle.

Sometimes I wonder why we bought another house and got off the road.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #12

THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
When we were full time one of our favorite runs out west was from Illinois (visiting kids) to SF, up the coast through Oregon to Seattle. Set up in a CG just north of Seattle that offered short term storage and caught a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle.

Sometimes I wonder why we bought another house and got off the road.
That is exactly what we are doing and leaving the RV at probably same CG, which is a lot cheaper then cruise terminal plus you can plug in. We have scheduled limo service to take us to ship and back.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #13

THOR #2271
Can one of youi please message me the campground that allows storage and where it is? That sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #14

THOR #992
Quote:
Can one of youi please message me the campground that allows storage and where it is? That sounds like a great idea!
Lake Pleasant RV park in Bothell. I don't have info in front of me but I found it on RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Old 04-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #15

THOR #992
I believe Bothell is just a hair north of Seattle, the limo company said it was about 20 minutes to cruise terminal.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is the RV Park reviews link

Doesn't look like the campground has a website other than this.

I did find this youtube video about it:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #17

THOR #2271
I've made it to Portland where I have family and friends.

The first stop was in the town of Cave Junction. It is near the Oregon Caves. Unfortunately, I showed up on a Wednesday, when they are closed.

From there I met another forum member in Eugene. We went out to the famous Lowell Covered Bridge to watch a rowing regatta.

During my so far short journey two issues have appeared. The connection to the trap below the shower cracked and finally broke. Every time I took a shower, there was a flood. In Cave Junction, I bought some silicon plumbing repair tape and with the use of duct tape temporarilly fixed it.

The other issue was the (four letter explative deleted) Seiki TV without a QAM tuner. I had bought an external tuner box that worked once. But yesterday I broke down and went to Best Buy and purchased a Samsung TV and a new mount.

For both of these issues, I hired a mobile RV repair guy. He took apart the shower trap yeasterday and will return later today to fix it and also install the new TV. And since I am here for the week, I also hired someone to detail the outside and put a new polymer finish on the rig.

One of the interesting thing about full-timing is the simple chores that need to be maintained. I'm off to Lenscrafters for my annual exam and maybe new glasses.

Cheer all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1809.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	4635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	4636  

Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Yesterday was my 70th Birthday. To celebrate, I got in my rig, "Sinatra" and got the heck out of Dodge. I've been preparing for several months. My personal stuff went into storage. My furniture went to Goodwill. And I started on my adventure to look for America. My first stop is Yreka, CA on my way up to the Olympic Peninsula. I have stops along the way to visit friends and family. Then I head east. The only future reservation is on August 21 for the full eclipse. I highly recommend that you reserve your camping spots now. Many RV parks are already full for that weekend.

This first stop is at Wiiaka RV Park in Yreka CA. It's a good campground that I have used several times before while driving into Oregon. It was 7 hours from where I used to live. And 7 hours is a long drive.

I plan on using this thread to document my journey.
Congrats GBrown! We just got our Vegas 24.1 and looking forward to travel though not ready to retire and chuck it all yet! Will be in Nashville on Aug 21 for the eclipse. Have fun and stay safe.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
gbrown, Welcome to Seiki tv's are a POS club! Changed mine out after the first trip, did not need new mounts, was able to use the originals.

Hope all your problems are over and the rest of your trip is fun!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #20

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Have a great trip and will look forward to reading about it.