Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Gettysburg Campsite 21 day Free tour

Considering the offer from CW of a 21 nights free for a 2 hour tour at Gettysburg campground. Has anyone had any experience with this off and the results?

2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
A few details would help...
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #11736
Can you say No!

Got a call about it myself. Sounded a lot like the time share plans I used to take advantage of. Timing was not right for us though so we passed on it.

Can you say no after a long sales pitch? If yes then go for it, if not then stay away.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #4

THOR #11130
Based on that...stay away. Not a fan of high-pressure sales pitches for time shared anything, unless you want to camp in the same spot for the rest of your life.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Gbayne I have been in sales management for over 40 years. I could say No to the Pope!! I never had to use a "hard sell" in my profession but I can certainly handle those that do...
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

THOR #11130
I think the big question long term is whether you want to own the same RV campsite for the rest of your life. Nothing "time-share" has ever worked out great for the majority of those that got sucked into the vortex.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
If this is for Travel Resorts Gettysburg campground beware. We Purchased a membership back in 2007, fortunately I was smart enough to have a clause added to the contract that if I wanted out I could simple relinquish my membership no charge. The way it normally works is you NEVER get out of the maintenance fees. Regardless if you use it or not, you have to pay the fees until you sell it. Second problem is they dont tell you when you purchase that there are other memberships that were sold that have better access to the campground which means fat chance of getting in during peak season. Our membership said we could reserve 30 days in advance or some such thing, problem is the older memberships have 90 day reservation out privileges. This is one of the good ole boy campgrounds, if you are an old subscriber you are good if you are new you are shunned for asking to come. If you do decide to buy one negotiate the price, it is not a firm price plus make sure of the privileges of associated campgrounds. They told us (we are in Ohio) that they were looking at buying 2 campgrounds in Ohio that would be available, well they bought them a few days later and when we attempted to use they told us we couldn't because they were inside like a 150 mile radius of our home base, therefore not eligible. Now they may offer that but it is an additional cost.
Another issue is they can only sell x amount of memberships per spots available so they will contract with other campgrounds for say a year which theoretically gives them more spaces to sell more memberships. When you make a reservation you may not get a space at the Gettysburg campground but a different campground that has spaces reserved for them. Key point here, ONCE you have talked to them at the campground you CAN NOT buy from a reseller, they wont approve the sell.
Buying a membership off of one of these places that resells or off of ebay, those can be a bargain because people want out of them, but remember to check privileges to reserve and the fees and if they will go up when you are the new owner. If buying new at least when we did we also claused in that fees were frozen indefinitely, if you dont get that they constantly raise them. Its convenient to them that they forget this or lost the paper work saying yours are frozen so DONT lose your paperwork.
After paying those crazy fees, ($299 a year) for about 7 years and only being able to use the campground 3 times, I finally told them to cancel mine. Of course they told me I could cancel but have to continue to pay the fees until they can find someone to purchase the contract....think that will ever happen?? I sent them my contract with my clauses and they finally gave in and cancelled my membership.

Just be VERY careful with these contract memberships is all I am saying, check everything out and search the internet for forums for memberships out there and see what people are saying about them.

That is all, good luck. Oh and above ALL if camping world is involved that should tell you right there you are in for an uncomfortable ride.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #8

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Considering the offer from CW of a 21 nights free for a 2 hour tour at Gettysburg campground. Has anyone had any experience with this off and the results?
High pressure sales, we went for one and they gave us free lobster and shrimp for us and the friends who invited us to fix for dinner, next day the interrogation began, its not like you say no thanks and walk out lol. We were suckered in. NEVER again will I ever buy into one of these. You will never be able to stay there enough to come out on the top end. Believe me it is cheaper to just go to Gettysburg and find a campground and pay the $60 a night enjoy and more on.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I think the big question long term is whether you want to own the same RV campsite for the rest of your life. Nothing "time-share" has ever worked out great for the majority of those that got sucked into the vortex.
This is exactly right, and is another fact, you can not loan or rent this out to anyone else including your family, they can come and rent a cabin or such while YOU are there but not on their own. Watch the fine print and they slick ways they forget to mention the stipulations.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #10

THOR #1620
This is page 2 of their contract, enlarge it and read it closely, they have nothing to lose and all to gain. I couldnt find my snapshot of page 1 sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel resort contract.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	10904  
Old 06-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #11

THOR #11130
We just purchased our retirement home in PCB, 2 blocks from the beach...one of the huge stipulations was..."NO HOA's OR PERPETUAL COMMUNITY FEES". There's no fixed prices on any of this stuff. Many have purchased condos with monthly or annual fees, time shares, only to lose them because the rates got so high they can't afford them anymore. It's similar to the "Buy Here-Pay Here" auto sales lots. No one will ever payoff the car. They will lose it back to the dealer and he/she will continue to resell it, over and over again. Time share is the same way. The "sales pitches" are hard sell to the point many just cave and sign the bottom line just to get out of there. Once you roll into retirement, you roll forward on "fixed income" so to speak. Make sure you are in control of who "fixes" your expenses.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #12

THOR #1620
https://www.disboards.com/threads/tr...-scam.3518016/

https://www.bbb.org/raleigh-durham/b...and-complaints

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ized-payments/

You get the hint, I have been soured and screwed by them and trying to make sure it doesnt happen to you. At least you will go in informed.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Thumbs up

Thank you, thank you, thank you for educating me.

I was contacted by Travel Resorts and was leery about going to see one of their campgrounds. Glad I didn't like the pitch and blocked them on both the internet and my phone.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #14

THOR #11130
"Considering the offer from CW of a 21 nights free"

I think the word "FREE" should be banned from all dictionaries and considered the most serious of slang words. Nothing...and I mean NOTHING, is ever FREE! There is a price you, or someone else at your expense, will pay for EVERYTHING!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you for educating me.

I was contacted by Travel Resorts and was leery about going to see one of their campgrounds. Glad I didn't like the pitch and blocked them on both the internet and my phone.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS tell them (not ask) to remove you from any contact lists. Whether you buy from them or not, your contact info is worth it's weight in gold and they WILL sell it to any buyer.

You also have the right to 'demand' establishments remove your credit card and contact information from their 'databases' if you no longer plan to do business with them. One less place a hacker can get hold of it. It only takes a little time. Think about it. Would you rather spend 10 mins with them arguing to get your information cleared, or possibly 10 years or never trying to get out from underneath identity theft?

A word to the wise...that's all I'm sayin'